Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:24:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Rein - Decentralized Freelance Market  (Read 10482 times)
weex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 04:23:03 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2017, 04:04:34 PM by weex

Rein is designed to help you conduct freelancing transactions safely and easily. Clients can post jobs to Rein's decentralized network and freelancers can submit bids on available jobs.

As of now, the best use of Rein is to build, fund and manage multisig escrows to ensure each party gets what they want in a job. Along with the escrows, job descriptions, bid amounts, and timing are cryptographically signed by participants to a job. That way, if anything goes wrong the mediator can pay out or return funds as necessary.

The Mission:
Create a decentralized market to enable people to work and have work done in exchange for bitcoin. Learn more...

Setup Guide
HOWTO: Setup Rein

Development Roadmap
We have a few tasks on our development roadmap for which we're looking for developers. Since we want to help grow the Bitcoin development community and many devs are interested to grow their skills, we've been able to do a ton with not a lot of funds.

If you can help with funding, PM me. Your donations can go directly to escrow for specific features.

Timeline
Oct. 2015 - Planning begins
Jan 2016 - Alpha tagged, command-line version
March 2016 - First transaction completed - a digital painting
May 2016 - Tor support
Oct 2016 - Web-based user interface
Nov 2016 - Rein is used for several jobs to improve Rein per the development roadmap
Feb 2017 - v0.3.0 Beta released with bip32 setup, transaction sign&send, ratings

Press
Bitcoin.com: Bitcoin Freelance Marketplace Rein Launches in Beta
Bitcoinist: The Rein Project Completes First Freelance Contract
Brave New Coin: Bitcoin-only decentralized marketplace, Rein, targets growing freelance industry
BTCManager.com: Rein’s Experiment in Decentralized Labor: An Interview with David Sterry
BetByBitcoin: Review decentralized freelance market – Rein

Software
Latest release: v0.3.0-beta
Python-rein client - Client for Rein.
Causeway server - Run a server and get paid for providing microhosting. Grants microhosting space, ECDSA signature auth, stores and returns key/value pairs. Also responds to queries for specific types of documents like job postings, bids, deliveries, or all documents by job ID.

To get setup see the README for python-rein: https://github.com/ReinProject/python-rein/blob/master/doc/HOWTO-setup-rein.md

For more info, see: https://reinproject.org
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 05:54:17 PM

Added a couple of sheets demonstrating what the signature chains look like.

Spreadsheets (please see the detailed walkthrough for context):

Signatures Demo
Users
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 12:25:15 AM

Offering 0.05 BTC for help with this today. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1234048.msg12847456#msg12847456
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2015, 01:02:56 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2015, 01:17:48 AM by knightdk

Interesting project, I will follow, and perhaps help out with it if I have time. I can code, but only proficiently in java.

I left a few comments on the procedural outline which I would like you to look at. They are just clarification questions.

Also, I have few other questions:
1. Who are the reviewers and auditors and how are they determined?
2. Why must there be two addresses created and funded for each job?
3. How will this be decentralized?
4. Is there any way to prevent people from pretending to be multiple people at once? E.g. job creator is also the mediator or a reviewer for the same job.

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 02:47:03 AM

Interesting project, I will follow, and perhaps help out with it if I have time. I can code, but only proficiently in java.

I left a few comments on the procedural outline which I would like you to look at. They are just clarification questions.

Also, I have few other questions:
1. Who are the reviewers and auditors and how are they determined?
2. Why must there be two addresses created and funded for each job?
3. How will this be decentralized?
4. Is there any way to prevent people from pretending to be multiple people at once? E.g. job creator is also the mediator or a reviewer for the same job.
Thank you for checking this out!

Clarified and resolved those comments.

1. Reviewers and auditors are simply other users registered in the system at the beginning. Once some users have established a track record or we implement some kind of community multisig bond, we will limit those roles to some threshold trust score.

2. The second address is to pay the mediator for their dispute resolution services. The job creator chooses a mediator when they build their job in order to reduce steps. Mediators should specify their fee in the message they sign to establish or update their user record.

3. One step at a time. By establishing a protocol for how all this works, any number of applications or networks should be able to implement it and eventually we will have a p2p network with tor connectivity.

4. I don't think so but we can at least make it cost something. Either reputation or probably my best idea on this so far is to require an amount of btc to be locked in a multisig address with lots of members (like 10-of-15). Burning coins is another way.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 08:14:56 AM

Had a fair amount of activity due to offering 0.05 btc for people to pre-alpha test in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1234048.msg12847456#msg12847456

Lessons learned from today:

1. At this point, we have 5 user records created. Each has been signed as reviewed but none has been signed the third time.

2. We'll need to write out guidelines on when it is ok to sign at the reviewer or auditor stages. Basically specify which fields in the template are required and how we can do some validation on them.

3. We also have a little chicken and egg problem in that if someone's user record must be reviewed and audited before they can act as a reviewer or auditor then we can never get there. So at the beginning, we'll have to relax that requirement. If you have a reviewer signature, you may act as an auditor.

4. The enrollment signature needs to be signed by a user's master signing key. This establishes a single point of authority for an identity.

5. Clearly a lot of validation can be done with a one or a few scripts taking the Users sheet as a CSV input. Getting those written might be the first jobs posted unless someone wants to volunteer. Basically take a CSV download and check all of the user records for consistency, if not the signatures themselves.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 07:44:47 AM

Posted the first two jobs to the new Job Listings sheet. Pasted here as well.

-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Job Name: Signature Tool Updates
Job Creator’s Public Key: 03FB2CA1B513858CD8461AE875BA7096CB7D585C29E7C6B5294FEF7B6C326389C4
Mediator’s Public Key: 04594f2582c859c4f65084ee7fe8e9ec2d695bb988a3f53db48eaaff6ff3a0282b2be0c79fefca0 1277404d0fdc3a923e8ed02efd6ab96980f3e229a81fbe032e9
Category: Software Development
Job Description: I’m looking for someone to help update the signature tool. Please fork https://github.com/weex/bitcoin-signature-tool and provide me a pull request with the following changes:
1. Make the Verify page the first page a new visitor lands on.
2. Once a user verifies a message, show a button that when clicked copies the verified message over to the Message textarea on the Sign page and changes the view over to the signing page.
3. If a user clicks on the Signed Message field on the Sign page, make the entire cell highlight so it can be easily copied for pasting into a sheet.
4. Change the private key field to display *****s when it’s filled in and create a Show button that toggles the display of the private key.
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
1BbgnPQYeXAt39ifLNUWP1RBktpzGLmRZS
IHgKhIpPFYfSs1Mi19OAZQlTOeqIV4oNdyE/7uVLIM6YtFsWg1VqFZ84+sIXAMk8C88dPuOB9gGGLKAQmxBo2c8=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Job Name: Python module for signature verification
Job Creator’s Public Key: 03FB2CA1B513858CD8461AE875BA7096CB7D585C29E7C6B5294FEF7B6C326389C4
Mediator’s Public Key: 04594f2582c859c4f65084ee7fe8e9ec2d695bb988a3f53db48eaaff6ff3a0282b2be0c79fefca0 1277404d0fdc3a923e8ed02efd6ab96980f3e229a81fbe032e9
Category: Software Development
Job Description: The signatures on the Users sheet are signed manually by users before they add their signature as reviewer or auditor. We need the following few python functions that can validate the various signatures on the Users sheet. Please include a script that will test the functions.

validate_enrollment(enrollment_signature_text) - validates the ECDSA signature on the Enrollment signature as valid/invalid. also checks that it was signed by the master signing key within.
Returns an array with:
* true/false bool that signature verifies and uses specified master signing key
* signing key

validate_review(reviewer_text) - checks the outer signature on a review.
Returns an array with:
* true/false on the signature verification
* signing address
* text of message that was signed (everything between ----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE----- and ----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----) with the dash-space removed from the beginning of the internal ----- lines. This should enable the message to be verified by validate_enrollment.

validate_audit(auditor_text) - checks the outer signature on an audit
Returns an array with:
* true/false on the signature verification
* signing address
* text of message that was signed (everything between ----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE---- and ----BEGIN SIGNATURE----) with the dash-space removed from the beginning of the ----- lines for ONLY the outermost signature. This should enable the message to be verified by validate_review.

Please PM weex on bitcointalk.org with any questions.
1BbgnPQYeXAt39ifLNUWP1RBktpzGLmRZS
Hz9gbXPhtSpLkNFVacvNADdb7cbiIL3aIzuCNGY6Mx+pekr5o58UVqcsomjGKCjqT3g3htnU87eAp8KrWFy5buE=
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 04:32:48 PM

Created a new git repo with a script to begin basic validation on the Users sheet.

https://github.com/weex/dpsmp

This is the script for which I created the signature verification module job above. Ideally this script will check everything to make a reviewer or auditor's job dead simple. Download the sheet, run the script, review or audit any records they can or raise alarm bells on anything that's amiss.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 04:39:18 PM

Not sure if you had ever looked at CIYAM Open but it is a similar (but simpler) concept (http://ciyam.org/open).

Feel free to contact me via PM if you'd like to discuss my experiences with trying to get this kind of thing up and running.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 05:03:56 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2015, 07:26:12 AM by weex

Not sure if you had ever looked at CIYAM Open but it is a similar (but simpler) concept (http://ciyam.org/open).

Feel free to contact me via PM if you'd like to discuss my experiences with trying to get this kind of thing up and running.

Thank you CIYAM. II looked at it and at least know now what your handlestands for. If I have it right, it was a project to build a marketplace based on GPG and focused on using a specific development platform. Were there projects funded outside of that?

I'm calling this a protocol because though we have to start with specific tools, a well-documented and well-designed protocol can be platform agnostic. Maybe it would be best if you wrote up lessons learned on your project and posted a link here.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 05:09:34 PM

We're there projects that were funded outside of that?

Probably the main project other than the platform itself and the Automated Transactions (AT) project was the Moneychanger project (from the Open Transactions people). Unfortunately they did all their payments "off the record" so the Project tasks listed there show no payments (and were never closed).

I'm calling this a protocol because though we have to start with specific tools, a well-documented and well-designed  protocol can be platform agnostic. Maybe it would be best if you wrote up lessons learned on your project and posted a link here.

I guess the main lesson that I've learned is that people are not yet ready to work this way - even when I offered almost insanely generous payments for tasks there were very few (if any) people willing to take on the work (and that was not due to not trusting me about payment).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 05:14:50 PM

We're there projects that were funded outside of that?

Probably the main project other than the platform itself and the Automated Transactions (AT) project was the Moneychanger project (from the Open Transactions people). Unfortunately they did all their payments "off the record" so the Project tasks listed there show no payments (and were never closed).

I'm calling this a protocol because though we have to start with specific tools, a well-documented and well-designed  protocol can be platform agnostic. Maybe it would be best if you wrote up lessons learned on your project and posted a link here.

I guess the main lesson that I've learned is that people are not yet ready to work this way - even when I offered almost insanely generous payments for tasks there were very few (if any) people willing to take on the work (and that was not due to not trusting me about payment).

Point taken. Clearly people do gigs online all the time so it sounds like a key focus is going to need to be addressing the reasons why more workers don't get involved. What might those be?
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 05:20:36 PM

Point taken. Clearly people do gigs online all the time so it sounds like a key focus is going to need to be addressing the reasons why more workers don't get involved. What might those be?

To a fair extent I think it very much depends upon the kinds of tasks.

Very talented programmers (which I have tried to target) are simply not possible unless you offer almost ridiculously high prices (it is just too easy for them to get a high paying stable job).

Low talented programmers you'll find but are really not even worth bothering with (they'll cause you more trouble than you pay them for).

Graphic designers are perhaps your best bet as those people tend to work for nothing (often trying to chase bounties which only one of them will get). For CIYAM Open I didn't want to do bounties (as I think it is actually unfair to have people working for nothing) but I think for that kind of task they actually seem to work better (apparently those kind of people like to gamble on whether they will get paid at all).

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 11:12:25 PM

To a fair extent I think it very much depends upon the kinds of tasks.

Very talented programmers (which I have tried to target) are simply not possible unless you offer almost ridiculously high prices (it is just too easy for them to get a high paying stable job).

Low talented programmers you'll find but are really not even worth bothering with (they'll cause you more trouble than you pay them for).

Graphic designers are perhaps your best bet as those people tend to work for nothing (often trying to chase bounties which only one of them will get). For CIYAM Open I didn't want to do bounties (as I think it is actually unfair to have people working for nothing) but I think for that kind of task they actually seem to work better (apparently those kind of people like to gamble on whether they will get paid at all).
The way I'm looking at this project is not so much as a way to attract some class of user, but more to empower any user to be able to easily conduct a trade of their labor in a trust-free manner. Some have advised that higher paid workers prefer longer term gigs and would probably prefer a process with milestones rather than one-off jobs. It's too early to worry about any of that though. We still need to get through the first trade and build the process, in the process. I could definitely use your help with any of the things in the OP.

Oh, also what kind of premiums did you offer over what you considered fair in your experience but still get no takers?
cryptozhellya

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 12:05:12 AM

nice
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 01:40:17 AM

Oh, also what kind of premiums did you offer over what you considered fair in your experience but still get no takers?

Things like getting some very simple scripts written (kind of stuff that would take someone with the skills only an hour or so). I had to offer a few hundred dollars for these kinds of tasks (many of which I just ended up doing myself instead to save funds).

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 04:16:50 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2015, 05:02:31 PM by weex

Perhaps the greatest opportunity for this protocol isn't for small gigs and medium sized jobs. Maybe we should be thinking about where greater amounts of trust are required between participants. The low budget example here might be hiring a project manager and locking the funds for a project they manage so it is split fairly  between the manager and each of the workers.

A huge feature could be volatility protection. The amount of escrowed bitcoin could be greater than required to handle currency fluctuations with any excess returned to the job creator.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 08:50:27 PM

Added:

Applications:
  • A decentralized labor market combines human judgement with individual accountability through cryptographic signatures.
  • Currency hedging, volatility protection - As long as enough funds are locked up to fulfill the value of the job, the signers can easily return excess funds to the job creator. For example, let’s say a job fee is set at $5k split between a front end dev and back end admin. Guarding against a 20% currency move means putting $6k in Bitcoin in escrow. If the value of escrowed funds drops, the workers would be right to demand more funds be placed in escrow to continue work. No action is required if the opposite happens.
  • Milestones - Escrowed funds could be paid out in multiple payments based on reaching milestones in the project. The people in the project have to work together to send the payments and are accountable since their actions are recorded cryptographically.
  • Subcontracting. Funds could be broken out and used to create and fund other jobs with completely different mediator/worker/milestone combinations.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 09:07:49 PM

Posted the job about verifying signatures to https://bountify.co for $50 in BTC. It should show up in an hour or two.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 09:15:07 PM

I will take a look at the sig tool update job and see what I can do with the program.

Also, is it possible to post for hire requests on that marketplace e.g I want people to hire me to do work.

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 04:45:41 PM

The bitcoin signature tool was taken care of at bountify.co. Working on integrating that with the users.py script to see how much of the verification can be automated. My goal so far is to have the output look like:

Processing Database
sha256 root hash: 99d4e8f3b7c285a98398d907098a899798e897f891265

Errors: Review mismatch:
   Users. 1ypoifkdsaifoofkwlfaoifeklvds432

Tasks to be completed:
Reviews (and Audits) to be done:
   Users, 19fofidsapfiokaf904390fudsfsd
   Users, 190439ifuhf3kds98938472095
   Jobs, Be Awesome, 020985349075908275903489432897564379287439827549372095432
   Bids, Be Awesome, 0209853490759082759…., 0202347625832090348….

Audits to be done:
   Users, 1498573098729385784393487
   Jobs, Be Awesomer Th…he World,  02026548534907590827590348943289756437928743982754937
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 07:20:00 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2015, 10:28:54 PM by weex

The Signature Tool is way easier to use now thanks to thelink2012 over at bountify.co. This video shows how simple it is to verify and sign a message like one would do when creating an identity, job, or bid or when reviewing/auditing someone else's signatures.

https://youtu.be/kqHg_07xJ5U

Download the tool then run it locally in your web browser. Offline use is recommended.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 04:11:47 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2015, 01:57:47 AM by weex

The project now has a provisional name!

Rein.

(as in free).

http://ReinProject.org redirects to this thread for now.
Twitter: @ReinProject
Sub-reddit: reddit.com/r/Rein
Github.com organization: https://github.com/ReinProject
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 04:44:04 PM

Coinb.in now has pull request that will support our Mediator payment transactions.

For each job, a Mediator holds a third key to the 2-of-3 multisig escrow address. In order to get the Mediator paid, we also create a second address with a little bit different construction. For that address, the Mediator must sign the redeem script to move the funds; a signature from the buyer or seller is also required. This way the buyer and seller can't cut the Mediator out of their payment, which could be substantial in cases where Mediation requires more than just dispute resolution. For example if a Mediator is functioning like an oracle / supplying material information to the transaction / or must do some testing for their part. The pull request that extends Coinb.in with these Mandatory Multisig transactions is here: https://github.com/OutCast3k/coinbin/pull/30
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 04:41:25 PM

I'm working now to improve the availability and resiliency of state for the protocol. That is, shaping the incentives so people can post jobs or listings for themselves and pay to keep that data available in a professional yet decentralized manner.

Today, I've been working on a sort of microhosting where as a user is first setup, they are provided with a list of servers that are willing to host their records (user, bids, offers, disputes) for a year for a very small price (like $0.25). So the signup process (done offline via a javascript tool) would build a transaction paying N of these providers. The tool would then make it easy to sign and upload the current action (update of their user record, placing of a bid) to each of these servers.

Here's a draft spec on this: https://github.com/ReinProject/causeway/blob/master/spec.md
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 09:41:08 AM

There is a $100-150 bounty to implement a microhosting server at https://bountify.co/create-a-bitcoin-enabled-key-value-storage-server You've got 3 days to deliver something decent or that cash goes to charity.

Speaking of the server. I got my 21 Bitcoin Computer and have been spending this weekend developing the above microhosting server on their platform. Only some basics work like verifying the signature on a request for a deposit address, requests for pricing and status. Since it's using the two1 library, support for offchain transactions via 402 payment required messages will be working shortly.

One could buy a year's worth of hosting suitable for ones own records for Rein with a few days of mining. After all, the storage requirements for the dozen text files most Rein users would need are minimal.

On the front end, I am looking to introduce more of a workflow around the bitcoin signature tool. While signing with master addresses should be done offline, there's no reason the initial setup (an intake form, choosing microhosting servers, and getting unspent outputs) can't be done online. Then that that information can be package so the signature tool can do the rest offline (e.g. create transactions for payment and signed enrollments).
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 06:59:19 PM

A quick update, a backend prototype is coming together in the form of a key/value server that uses the 21 wallet for authentication and payment for microhosting. That software can be found at https://github.com/jgarzik/playground21/causeway
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 02:21:20 AM

Some mockups of an app in locally-saved-webpage form: http://imgur.com/a/eGT5r

Any JS/Front-end wizards want to take this on? PM me.
GetClams.com

Activity: 179
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 12:20:28 AM

A quick update, a backend prototype is coming together in the form of a key/value server that uses the 21 wallet for authentication and payment for microhosting. That software can be found at https://github.com/jgarzik/playground21/causeway

Any updates?
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 12:58:44 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2016, 03:40:48 AM by weex

Sure. I really like DropZone's launch as a command line tool so the past couple weeks I've been focusing on a command line interface that sets the user up with a new account and requests free microhosting from a test server. That much is working now. Next is to store a single record to said storage, then to each of a set of servers. You can follow my progress or join in if you have python skills at https://github.com/ReinProject/python-rein
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 01:58:07 AM

Updated OP to show the two main python software repos in development.

Software (pre-alpha development)
Python-rein client - Creates an identity, requests microhosting, sync's data to local Causeway server
Causeway Rein server - Grants microhosting space, ECDSA signature auth, stores and returns key/value pairs

To help test or develop, download both of the above and run the server on port 5000. Run 'rein setup' and use the address/key pairs on this sheet for testing. Then run 'rein request localhost:5000' and 'rein sync' to try to store the enrollment message you signed on your Causeway server. (last updated Jan 2nd, 2016)
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:01:10 AM

It's been a great couple of weeks. Most of the basic commands have been built out on both client and server side. Just in the last 24 hours, I've got some redeem script checking and building in with some testing so there may not be any need to use external tools beyond the Bitcoin-signature-tool at alpha release. I want to get a version out with a walkthrough video so interested folks can test it out this month.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 09:07:17 AM

Posted a new README at Python-rein as I'll probably be tagging the first alpha tomorrow.

https://github.com/ReinProject/python-rein/blob/master/README.md
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 07:37:34 AM

The first alpha release has been tagged. To get setup, see https://github.com/ReinProject/python-rein/blob/master/README.md
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:42:36 AM

Just posted these four videos that take you through Rein and the commands available in the alpha.

coaltin

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:48:30 AM

An installation guide would be much appreciated.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:56:18 AM

An installation guide would be much appreciated.
https://github.com/ReinProject/python-rein/blob/master/README.md is probably the best written document on this right now. Otherwise, the second video in this playlist goes from git clone through to setting up an account. Note, there's no GUI so you should be comfortable with CLI if you want to get going at this stage.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 05:41:49 AM

Python-rein Data Model
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 07:38:17 AM

Added new setup guide:  How To Setup Rein to Start Earning Bitcoin
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 12:22:33 AM

Since Bitcointalk user bitspill signed up to be the first mediator, the first job has been posted.

Code:
Rein Job
Job name: Enable Rein to connct over Tor
Job ID: 36gf31ibfk727fwbcjr1
Category: Software
Description: Please bid to Tor-enable Rein. The job will be considered complete when a pull request is merged for https://github.com/ReinProject/python-rein/issues/1 notably giving Rein a global switch --tor that makes all network communications go through a Tor browser.
Mediator: bitspill
Mediator contact: rein@bitspill.net
Mediator public key: 025a19c3aa027e9114a2f79b6e2f76d85c5b3fb59723ea9dba97e019f1f751d0eb
Mediator master address: 12AR5UHwzpqScrYiJvgJeNbp222eWv6vRF
Job creator: weex
Job creator contact: rein@exchb.com
Job creator public key: 0300d36a92be6d3c0b0d0aff5b14486b28013152acc4b55fc0ec84c4a209a3f234
Job creator master address: 1wexCMzikX7yxcWwzmbKHrtmxShqfthpe
1dezq4MkERrT5vRKyMTLsugNz74JVy4U6
IFtFdR7EsWJuwUGFsSCijGF5v9U1otHinLzk72gEfEiZWDx5MH0LymtvW1QffohrV320/oB20pZkno1RdlmX8zs=

Though it's not shown, bitspill's fee is 1% which the job creator pays on top of an accepted bid amount.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 05:03:57 AM

Brave New Coin did a pretty thorough story. Great to see the freelancing market stats in it. http://bravenewcoin.com/news/bitcoin-only-decentralized-marketplace-rein-targets-growing-freelance-industry
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 08:02:43 AM

Today is a great day. Digital artist Mike Christ has bid and his bid accepted for a digital painting for Rein Project itself! The job is for 0.2 BTC and 0.002 BTC will go to mediator bitspill at conclusion of the job.

Here is the offer which when funded made for Rein's first official in-process job!

Code:
Rein Offer
Job name: Twitter Header Image for Rein
Worker: mickmarona
Description: Friday
Bid amount (BTC): 0.2
Primary escrow address: 3GLQ2Sg25CHmmGbGPs1wREtSnAMXunvwpk
Mediator escrow address: 3FRpKRAb3iN5Mmdq9k37vrHLXfuJmkuZWR
Job ID: e7p8ma77yy106ky35cw9
Job creator: weex
Job creator public key: 0300d36a92be6d3c0b0d0aff5b14486b28013152acc4b55fc0ec84c4a209a3f234
Mediator public key: 025a19c3aa027e9114a2f79b6e2f76d85c5b3fb59723ea9dba97e019f1f751d0eb
Worker public key: 03172adca6a57a9713439f635e0057bca785c8769b69b9fafbb26ede2f3d111dc3
Primary escrow redeem script: 52210300d36a92be6d3c0b0d0aff5b14486b28013152acc4b55fc0ec84c4a209a3f23421025a19c3aa027e9114a2f79b6e2f76d85c5b3fb59723ea9dba97e019f1f751d0eb2103172adca6a57a9713439f635e0057bca785c8769b69b9fafbb26ede2f3d111dc353ae
Mediator escrow redeem script: 21025a19c3aa027e9114a2f79b6e2f76d85c5b3fb59723ea9dba97e019f1f751d0ebad51210300d36a92be6d3c0b0d0aff5b14486b28013152acc4b55fc0ec84c4a209a3f2342103172adca6a57a9713439f635e0057bca785c8769b69b9fafbb26ede2f3d111dc352ae
1dezq4MkERrT5vRKyMTLsugNz74JVy4U6
IE0droTbyG7yZ4lBT++/kyPCrw0B/n9MykV8dPvWqcuidINYWAu92QaOZIbXW+X5GxAt8VR2eN8xCIGHnPoOT4c=
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 07:25:37 PM

The first transaction is 100% complete: 0.2 btc for this graphic by mickmarona, mediated by bitspill https://i.imgur.com/84Px8y3.png

Even got a writeup by Bitcoinist! http://bitcoinist.net/the-rein-project-completes-first-freelance-contract/
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 06:47:54 AM

weex, Mike Christ and bitspill: congratulations, you made history!

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 05:29:06 AM

A little update. Rein has now seen it's first job posting for a web template by a new user of the protocol.

This can be seen at the simple job listings at http://rein1-sfo.reinproject.org:5000/jobs
Blog theme

By: Flamcake   Master: 13PiFqmcFDYW36GYMuxtumPPB4p3674CWQ Job ID: ptsd1lvz2seajxk41tbu

Description: I need a basic blog theme that will be easy to edit for a new blogger. I need to be able to ad a header for a sponsor and 3 blocks for affiliate links and adds on the right hand site.

Also, that same user Flamcake has bid to tackle the Rein theme song and that bid has been accepted!
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 11:17:30 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2016, 11:47:27 AM by Stemby

This can be seen at the simple job listings at http://rein1-sfo.reinproject.org:5000/jobs
Oh, I like Spectacle! Thank you!

I'm trying to install Rein the Debian way; I'd have a question: why have you chosen Python 2.7, instead of Python 3? If I'm not wrong all dependencies are available in a Python 3 version, and packaging Python 2 applications could be problematic very soon.

[EDIT]
https://github.com/ReinProject/python-rein/issues/40
[/EDIT]

Ciao!

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 07:37:13 AM

The tech talk last night was a ton of fun and thank you for everyone that logged on for it.

Thinking about hosting a blab.im session sometime this week to talk about Rein and help anyone who wants to get setup. Anyone interested?
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 07:41:33 AM

Scheduled a Blab for Thursday March 24th at 8pm PST if anyone has questions or wants help getting setup.

https://blab.im/david-r-sterry-decentralized-freelancing-with-rein-ask-questions-get-setup-chat
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 06:43:00 AM

Tor Support
Added Tor support to the Python-rein client. To get it, just 'git pull' and run 'python setup.py install'.

Then enable it with 'rein tor true'.

Finally, it's setup to use the default address and port provided by the Tor browser so from there on it should either work or throw an error that the socket cannot connect.

If anyone wants to review the code that added it, I'd greatly appreciate the extra eyeballs on the code. https://github.com/ReinProject/python-rein/pull/50

Time awareness in Rein using Bitcoin Core powers
In the last weeks, the server and client have both become time and blockchain aware. In short, the server connects to a local copy of Bitcoin Core to start providing latest block hashes and times for clients to include in their contracts. Thusly, the blockchain's time keeping can be used easily to enable expiration and updating of mediator availability, job postings, and bids.
frogCorporation

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 07:26:49 PM

It looks good perhaps we'll try it
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 01:29:19 AM

Added nice article with updated pics of some stuff by BetByBitcoin: Review decentralized freelance market – Rein
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 06:29:18 PM

Released v0.2.0-alpha.

Changelog:

* GUI for identity setup and for job creators (post, offer jobs, accept deliveries, file disputes)
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 06:31:35 AM

Posted a new job for any of you python devs out there to help improve Rein's document sharing among servers. Budget is 0.1+ BTC.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 06:31:23 AM

Still looking for more devs. Also someone with experience in management and growth of free open source software communities. If you know anyone, please stop by #Rein on freenode IRC.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 05:47:27 PM

Current funding needs
~0.5 BTC for BIP32/39 in setup process
1.5 BTC for mobile app prototype
If you wish to help fund, let us know. Your donation can go directly into a multisig escrow for a specific job.

Timeline
Oct. 2015 - Planning begins
Jan 2016 - Alpha tagged, command-line version
March 2016 - First transaction completed - a digital painting
May 2016 - Tor support
Oct 2016 - Web-based user interface
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 05:15:38 PM

Bitcoin Freelancing & Dogfooding Rein
https://medium.com/@dsterry/bitcoin-freelancing-dogfooding-rein-ba78937757ba#.qwuuc8k33
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 05:51:53 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2017, 10:56:16 PM by weex

Development Roadmap Q1 2017

Mobile App
   Android based on http://imgur.com/a/nDpXW
   iOS app based on http://imgur.com/a/nDpXW - In process  

Usability
   BIP32/BIP39 - Done
   Easier final payments - Adding a wallet feature that builds, signs, and sends transactions via choice of third-party API. - Done
   Explore client-side encryption - In process

I18n
   Make app translatable - Done
   Primary languages of Philippines, India, China, Nigeria, Ukraine, Latvia,  and Thailand - In process

Safety
   Begin on reputation system, generate SIN - Done
   Enable user to rate others referenced by job - Done

Network efficiency
   Client helps share docs between servers

Privacy
   Enable bids and later to be encrypted for decryption only by parties to transaction
   Change doc format to json
razoor

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 11:14:34 AM

Look very promising and active. Good luck with your project!
If you need any help, just let me know.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 10:29:29 PM

Updated roadmap.
nrm4bits

Activity: 132
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:52:50 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2016, 05:09:37 PM by nrm4bits

hey man, do you want help in translating app to Spanish?
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 06:05:44 PM

hey man, do you want help in translating app to Spanish?
I think we're good for now since I have the messages.po file. If you want to take all of the translations and get them into the i18n branch, pm me and I'll send them to you.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 09:12:07 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2017, 05:51:04 PM by weex

Development Roadmap Q2 2017

Usability / UX (ordered by descending priority)
    Support manual payment amount. This allows for fiat-based pricing
    User lookup - get enrollment from server by SIN, master, or delegate key
    Mediator collect/presign payment
    Email notifications
    Show/hide delegate or payment keys/xprvs for import into other wallets
    Enrollment updates
    Previous jobs, portfolio links (with strong warning) on profile user profile page
    Explanation of Bitcoin, link to FAQ, help docs
    Mediator search

I18n
    Translate web interface

Mobile App
    Android app based on http://imgur.com/a/nDpXW

Client-side encrypted mode
    Chrome extension

Network efficiency
    Client helps share docs between servers

Safety
    Links to discussion forums about trust/ratings issues

Privacy
    Enable bids and later in order flow to be encrypted for decryption only by parties to transaction
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 02:18:16 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2017, 05:51:39 PM by weex

Suggested user experience improvements for Rein:
 - Explanation of bitcoin, somewhere.
 - Making verification of escrow easy (say, generated URLs that the user can click and see if the addresses are funded).
 - Desktop / e-mail notifications.
 - Would love to have more direct access to user wallet createntials - digging in db's is not something the user should ever have to do.
 - Built-in update system, maybe?   
 - Perhaps some sort of profile for users, so that others can see their previous jobs, portfolio links, etc?

Edit: These have been included and prioritized into the above Q2 roadmap
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: