Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:39:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-11-05 Mashable - Bitcoin: How the Internet Created Its Own Currency  (Read 1688 times)
proudhon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 09:53:37 PM

Linky.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 10:00:56 PM

They missed the boat on the mint chip part, they never gave the part about how it was vote up and then removed js
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 03:42:19 AM

What a boring article. I just didn't read it because it was so introductory.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:51:40 AM

Same.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
majorddf

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:02:56 AM

Was just about to post this, but beaten to the punch!

It is introductory, but isn't that rather the point?

Mashable is read by hundred of thousands if not millions of people, getting them versed in the basics is exactly what we should be wanting.
Film_Girl

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 04:38:56 PM

Disclosure: I'm the author of the article.

Yeah, the goal was flat-out to be 100% introductory. When we were coming up with ideas for this series, we were floating around various topics and the subject of Bitcoin came up and everyone basically went, "what?" I made the mistake of answering the email with a succinct answer and drafted myself into writing the piece. My goal (and I hope I achieved it) was to be technically accurate but explain Bitcoin to people who have heard the term but have no idea what it is or how it works.

I'm actually quite interested in writing something longer-form about the arbitrage around Bitcoin as well as the "investment funds" as I think it's an interesting macro economics study, but realistically speaking, it's difficult to dive into that sort of subject with our audience unless we have a primer first.

The good news is that the response to the article -- niggles about Mint Chip aside (and to be clear, I wasn't trying to say Mint Chip is just like Bitcoin, merely that it carries along some similar ideas, albeit with different requirements and executions) -- was positive and readers seem genuinely interested in learning more about the subject.

In fact, I was talking with one of my co-workers today about the possibility of exploring more topics in this vein. You have to start somewhere.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 04:44:25 PM

Yeah, the goal was flat-out to be 100% introductory. When we were coming up with ideas for this series, we were floating around various topics and the subject of Bitcoin came up and everyone basically went, "what?" I made the mistake of answering the email with a succinct answer and drafted myself into writing the piece. My goal (and I hope I achieved it) was to be technically accurate but explain Bitcoin to people who have heard the term but have no idea what it is or how it works.

I'm actually quite interested in writing something longer-form about the arbitrage around Bitcoin as well as the "investment funds" as I think it's an interesting macro economics study, but realistically speaking, it's difficult to dive into that sort of subject with our audience unless we have a primer first.

The good news is that the response to the article -- niggles about Mint Chip aside (and to be clear, I wasn't trying to say Mint Chip is just like Bitcoin, merely that it carries along some similar ideas, albeit with different requirements and executions) -- was positive and readers seem genuinely interested in learning more about the subject.

In fact, I was talking with one of my co-workers today about the possibility of exploring more topics in this vein. You have to start somewhere.

Nice to hear that, I enjoyed the article  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 05:21:29 PM

Really well written article. Thanks Film_Girl!
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 05:24:23 PM

My goal (and I hope I achieved it) was to be technically accurate but explain Bitcoin to people who have heard the term but have no idea what it is or how it works.

I'd like to suggest that in the future when you face a similar goal you start with the why first and then go on to what and how following the advice presented in this video?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4

I think it's a much more powerful introduction if your audience can first emotionally connect to what you are introducing.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Film_Girl

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:09:00 PM

I'd like to suggest that in the future when you face a similar goal you start with the why first and then go on to what and how following the advice presented in this video?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4

I think it's a much more powerful introduction if your audience can first emotionally connect to what you are introducing.

That's a great point (and a great presentation). In an earlier draft of the article, I actually did start with the "why." That  draft focused more on the creation of Bitcoin and its reason for existence. Unfortunately, my text editor crashed (and I stupidly hadn't saved the file) taking not just that draft, but every other document I had open with it. When I rewrote the post, I decided to scuttle some of the rationale and just get straight to the "what."

In truth, I actually think the substance of my second draft was better (at least for what we were trying to accomplish, which was a digestible way of understanding the basics of Bitcoin), but if I could do it again, I'd likely start with more of the rationale, as you pointed out.

Actually -- maybe the why would be a worthy article in and of itself. I could reach out to the community and to those involved deeply with the project for their take on why they are involved with Bitcoin, why it's important and why it needs to exist. Thoughts?
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:11:03 PM

Actually -- maybe the why would be a worthy article in and of itself. I could reach out to the community and to those involved deeply with the project for their take on why they are involved with Bitcoin, why it's important and why it needs to exist. Thoughts?

Good idea. You can find my reasons in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClLbv1yisG4&feature=plcp

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:36:02 PM

I read it.

As far as Introductory pieces go this was of a very good standard, particularly compared with the FUD-filled, error-ridden offerings bitcoin has had in the past from other first-timers.

And the author knows her audience so has pitched it appropriately I expect. It is a good foundation to build a following upon, i.e. the truth.

These are exactly the kinds of articles that need to be making the rounds imho.

majorddf

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:31:31 AM

Good job Film_Girl, like I said further up, introducing new people to the basics of Bitcoin is a good thing and I think your article achieved that brilliantly.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:59:38 PM

Nice article!

proudhon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:13:33 PM

FWIW, I thought it a nice article overall and understood it as introductory.  Also, welcome.  It's nice when authors chime in here.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 11:01:01 PM

Before author revealed that he is a girl the comments was:
What a boring article.

Same.
Posts after the Shemale reveals himself:
Nice to hear that, I enjoyed the article  Smiley
Really well written article. Thanks Film_Girl!
Nice article!

There is no real girls in Bitcoin community! Cheesy

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 01:01:39 AM

I also noticed that. Grin

P.S.: Solid article
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:18:24 PM

The ignore button is so useful.

The feedback changed after it was pointed out that introductory articles are useful and how it came about. It's worth remembering that this section of the forum isn't "stuff regular readers will find interesting", it's links to press coverage - all of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: