Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:07:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-11-05 finextra - Bitcoin merchants plan own Black Friday  (Read 3158 times)
Akka (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 01:16:59 PM

Bitcoin merchants plan own Black Friday

More than 50 Bitcoin merchants are banding together for their own version of Black Friday in a bid to stimulate the virtual currency economy.

Black Friday has become an annual event in the US, taking place the day after Thanksgiving, with stores opening early and holding sales to mark the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.

As many as 75 merchants are expected to participate in the copycat Bitcoin Friday, to be held this week, slashing their prices, holding 'Bitcoin parties' and offering customers new to the currency instruction, assistance and tools to make transactions.

The event is the brainchild of precious metals trader Coinabul.com, Bitcoin exchange Mt.Gox and merchant services provider BitPay.

Coinabul says that the although Bitcoin has grown a lot, with nearly a million clients online, less than a quarter of all coins are actually being spent, with 78% left sitting stagnant. The firm hopes that Bitcoin Friday will serve as a stimulus and get some of those stale coins circulating.

Source: http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=24247

Also, for all who haven't herd about it yet: http://bitcoinfriday.com/

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 02:30:12 PM

Great news, thanks for sharing  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 03:00:23 PM

I guess..typically black friday deals are made known some time before so we can get excited about wher eto shop but this leaves a lot to be desired. Show us the cool stuff we'd actually buy!
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:03:46 PM

More than 50 Bitcoin merchants are banding together for their own version of Black Friday in a bid to stimulate the virtual currency economy.

Black Friday has become an annual event in the US, taking place the day after Thanksgiving, with stores opening early and holding sales to mark the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.

As many as 75 merchants are expected to participate in the copycat Bitcoin Friday, to be held this week, slashing their prices, holding 'Bitcoin parties' and offering customers new to the currency instruction, assistance and tools to make transactions.

The event is the brainchild of precious metals trader Coinabul.com, Bitcoin exchange Mt.Gox and merchant services provider BitPay.

Coinabul says that the although Bitcoin has grown a lot, with nearly a million clients online, less than a quarter of all coins are actually being spent, with 78% left sitting stagnant. The firm hopes that Bitcoin Friday will serve as a stimulus and get some of those stale coins circulating.

Are the folks at Coinabul Keynesians or something? Who cares if 25% or 1% of the coins are being spent? The velocity of those coins is what really matters when it comes to measuring the size of the Bitcoin economy. And the Bitcoins are certainly not evenly distributed across those million clients. I'll help "circulate" some of those "stale coins" by sending them from one personal address to another, lol!
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:23:03 PM

Are the folks at Coinabul Keynesians or something? Who cares if 25% or 1% of the coins are being spent? The velocity of those coins is what really matters when it comes to measuring the size of the Bitcoin economy. And the Bitcoins are certainly not evenly distributed across those million clients. I'll help "circulate" some of those "stale coins" by sending them from one personal address to another, lol!

I'm sure it's just the reporter putting words in their mouth. In fact if you just read the website:

November 9th 2010
Bitcoin project registered at SourceForge.net

Bitcoin has come a long way in two years. Bitcoin Friday is an event to celebrate the Bitcoin economy and the consumers that hold it up. This November 9th, 2012 the Bitcoin stores on this site will hold massive sales on merchandise avaliable for purchase with Bitcoin.
This is a Pre-Black Friday of sorts. A one day sale event at all Bitcoin merchants along with a unified attempt at advertising Bitcoin businesses. This means we need your help in two ways: please buy something with your bitcoins and please tell the world that Bitcoin businesses exist!
The media and the public does not take Bitcoin seriously because they think you can't buy anything with it... Prove them wrong this November 9th.
Bitcoin Friday - Friday, November 9th 2012 - Sales at all your favorite Bitcoin merchants. Show your support!

No talk about spurring the circulation of bitcoins there.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:25:32 PM

Reporters love that little statistic!

I personally think Bitcoin should act more like a bankwire. I don't care where the coins are gathering dust as long as money is coming in and going out.

The Bitcoin economy always has more room for growth though.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 12:09:02 PM

Just wanted to cc: this here.

The Official "look at what I bought" on Bitcoin Friday thread.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=123251.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █