Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:29:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Halloween greetings from the Crypto crypt.  (Read 1935 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 03:47:08 PM

Digital fits the bill perfectly.

digital explains nothing..
it does not explain the difference between SQL databases, such as Visa, paypal or even facebook credits.

blockchain is already highlighted as the term to categorize bitcoin and litecoins differences to Visa, without having the wishy washy virtual fake money image or the non separation/ non descriptive digital image. or even the morbid, coffin image of crypto

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luqman

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 03:48:04 PM

Virtual currency sounds good, I think so does alternate currency.

I do think cryptocurrency is a good term but can also pretty confusing and sometimes off putting for the everyday user.
Agreed with this..
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 03:50:09 PM

it does not explain the difference between SQL databases, such as Visa, paypal or even facebook credits.

blockchain is already highlighted as the term to categorize bitcoin and litecoins differences to Visa, without having the wishy washy virtual fake money image or the non separation/ non descriptive digital image.

A moniker doesn't have to throw in deep seated explanations. All you need is something comprehensible that people can relate to. Visa, paypal and facebook credits are not currencies and never will be.  
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 04:03:22 PM

blockchain is already highlighted as the term to categorize bitcoin and litecoins differences to Visa, without having the wishy washy virtual fake money image or the non separation/ non descriptive digital image.

A moniker doesn't have to throw in deep seated explanations. All you need is something comprehensible that people can relate to. Visa, paypal and facebook credits are not currencies and never will be.  

digital explains that the currency is computer based rather then paper based... paypal uses digital, visa uses digital, facebook uses digital.. because you can trade their sql database entries for goods and services..
but digital currency does not separate fiat from bitcoin..

thats where blockchain currencies clearly separates bitcoin, namecoin, litecoin.. away from applepay, paypal, bank wire transers, etc..

telling someone about digital currencies.. they would instantly think about credit cards and applepay etc.. which wont help the explanation that bitcoin is completely different..

blockchain currencies is a clear separation

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2015, 08:52:42 PM

The words "Crypto" or Cryptocurrency do not help Bitcoin gain mainstream acceptance, since 'crypto' sounds so much like crypt.

Are you willing/able to change the popular terms in order to make Bitcoin more friendly for average people?

Up to the point i read your post i never had the connection of bitcoin being connected to crypt. Cheesy

I think the danger is pretty thin.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 09:42:28 PM

To me both Crypt and Crypto mean secret and hidden. However, bitcoin feels more like something that everyone free to participate. I would prefer digital currency as many have suggested.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 01:32:15 AM

Are you willing/able to change the popular terms in order to make Bitcoin more friendly for average people?

You can just say digital cash, digital coin, internet coin ,internet money, free money, safe money , etc.

But the correct term is cryptocurrency, but for laymen, and if you are in circles full of newbies then better use an euphemism Smiley

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 01:57:06 PM

You can just say digital cash, digital coin, internet coin ,internet money, free money, safe money , etc.

But the correct term is cryptocurrency, but for laymen, and if you are in circles full of newbies then better use an euphemism Smiley

Na, it is Crypto Money. It is a special form of money. It is no new paypal or moneybookers or shit like that. And it should not be twisted with things like that. I think it is essential that Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency are the mainwords. I don't see any negative connections with these words at all. And it should be avoided to be connected to things like paypal. The last thing we want is someone thinks, i have paypal, i don't need bitcoin anymore or if it is like paypal then i don't want it... scammy chargeback thing.

No, bitcoin is a complete new thing and that should be made clear.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 05:20:11 PM

Na, it is Crypto Money. It is a special form of money. It is no new paypal or moneybookers or shit like that. And it should not be twisted with things like that. I think it is essential that Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency are the mainwords. I don't see any negative connections with these words at all. And it should be avoided to be connected to things like paypal. The last thing we want is someone thinks, i have paypal, i don't need bitcoin anymore or if it is like paypal then i don't want it... scammy chargeback thing.

How about virtual money/virtual coin..

But that implies that its non-existent Cheesy

So if we say "crypto" they get scared, if we say "virtual" they think its a scam. How stupid the sheeple is Cheesy

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 08:16:22 PM

How about virtual money/virtual coin..

But that implies that its non-existent Cheesy

So if we say "crypto" they get scared, if we say "virtual" they think its a scam. How stupid the sheeple is Cheesy

Virtual money really sounds a bit like playmoney. Cheesy Though the first thought they will have is something like paypal. It is virtual money. Only on the internet. Easily spoken.

And i doubt that someone gets the creeps from the word crypto. Yes, it might be that not everyone knows that crypto means encryption or something hidden but those people who likely will use bitcoin will know. It is still widely a geek currency. And they know what crypto is. So the impression is encrypted money, something hidden. Sounds like safe money.

Everyone who doesn't know what crypto means most probably is not our target group for the moment. They won't understand and the internet most probably is something far away for them anyway.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 03:33:28 AM

Virtual money really sounds a bit like playmoney. Cheesy Though the first thought they will have is something like paypal. It is virtual money. Only on the internet. Easily spoken.

And i doubt that someone gets the creeps from the word crypto. Yes, it might be that not everyone knows that crypto means encryption or something hidden but those people who likely will use bitcoin will know. It is still widely a geek currency. And they know what crypto is. So the impression is encrypted money, something hidden. Sounds like safe money.

Everyone who doesn't know what crypto means most probably is not our target group for the moment. They won't understand and the internet most probably is something far away for them anyway.

I know how the sheeple thinks so I think that it's just best if we got with digital currency.

Virtual/internet/etc is not a good prefix because it implies non-existence, or lack of seriousity. People will think that its no big deal or not a real money (as if their fiat is Cheesy) , we have to make it sound like serious , but not too serious because then they get scared of it.

Crypto is also not good because it implies geekyness (how are you going to get 20 year old girls to use it?)  and especially old folks, they will think it's their grave Cheesy

So you have to understand that the sheeple doesnt think, they are based on emotions. So we have to find an emotionally neutral definition = digital currency is perfect imo Smiley

Laila10

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 03:54:24 AM

Agreed, we can find another name so people will interesting about crypto..
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 657

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 05:05:04 AM

Bitcoin is the perfect word.
I'm fine with cryptographically secured digital currency.
Virtual sounds like "virtual".
Digital sounds easily duplicated, cryptography/encrypted ect when it comes to online or even a private communication makes me think "security".

Bitcoin will be more widely adopted when it's easier for us regular people to use it ;-)

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
visual111

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 05:10:41 AM

this is why I like the use of the word "blockchain" when talking about Bitcoin. It's new, fresh; it disassociates itself from the bad press Bitcoin got

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

INTRODUCING WAVES
ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 09:55:15 PM

I know how the sheeple thinks so I think that it's just best if we got with digital currency.

Virtual/internet/etc is not a good prefix because it implies non-existence, or lack of seriousity. People will think that its no big deal or not a real money (as if their fiat is Cheesy) , we have to make it sound like serious , but not too serious because then they get scared of it.

Crypto is also not good because it implies geekyness (how are you going to get 20 year old girls to use it?)  and especially old folks, they will think it's their grave Cheesy

So you have to understand that the sheeple doesnt think, they are based on emotions. So we have to find an emotionally neutral definition = digital currency is perfect imo Smiley

I know what you mean but i think digital currency is already something that has a place in the mind of those noobs hearing it. They will think of money on the internet. And the first thoughts will be paypal, skrill, mpesa and so on. Digital currency is not specific enough to show that bitcoin really is a groundbreaking new thing.

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:08:34 PM

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with "crypto". Crypts are old and robust, most have been built several centuries ago, and I like the idea of "long-lasting". There's also some mystery and secrecy with crypts, so that's quite attractive.

Virtual currency is very bad, as it doesn't sound real. Maybe we could say "computed currency".

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 12:25:19 AM

I know what you mean but i think digital currency is already something that has a place in the mind of those noobs hearing it. They will think of money on the internet. And the first thoughts will be paypal, skrill, mpesa and so on. Digital currency is not specific enough to show that bitcoin really is a groundbreaking new thing.

Yes but the more specific definitions are too geeky.

Quite franky we have to be populists, not linguists. I dont even think the masses want to really know the advantages of bitcoin.

They just want a new way of earning / storing money, and I think that will be enough to get them to join us.

makcik

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 07:54:12 AM

Bitcoins has now become a family for everyone. And of course people in families, I mean family members celebrate each and every thing together, it's because of that crypto crypt. Is wishing a happy Halloween to all users. It's users Have even thrown party to some selected people as bitcoins are now a family to them. Let's hope this streak continues for long! Long live btc!
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 06:27:08 PM

Yes but the more specific definitions are too geeky.

Quite franky we have to be populists, not linguists. I dont even think the masses want to really know the advantages of bitcoin.

They just want a new way of earning / storing money, and I think that will be enough to get them to join us.

I think we should be a bit more self-conscious. Yes, it might be somewhat geeky but it can become cool. Think about all the computer tech. It is not geeky since a long time anymore, it became cool once the normal people realized it's usefullness. I think staying strong might be the best way to make bitcoin something cool everyone wants to use.

Bitcoin itself already seems to be a cool word, crypto currency is something that doesn't have to be branded so much but even then, encryption, so being safe from others, government and so on is cool, it has some strenght.

So i think it's not a big problem. Wink

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 07:55:39 PM

I think we should be a bit more self-conscious. Yes, it might be somewhat geeky but it can become cool. Think about all the computer tech. It is not geeky since a long time anymore, it became cool once the normal people realized it's usefullness. I think staying strong might be the best way to make bitcoin something cool everyone wants to use.

Bitcoin itself already seems to be a cool word, crypto currency is something that doesn't have to be branded so much but even then, encryption, so being safe from others, government and so on is cool, it has some strenght.

So i think it's not a big problem. Wink

I understand you but your opinion doesnt matter here, the outside world is not like us, so we have to package bitcoin as they demand it not as us.

Not many people care about decentralization and financial privacy, so we need to find a demandable aspect that suits them too.

You target the average joe. I'm wondering what the average joe would drive to use bitcoin. I guess his local dealer wants bitcoins, he heard of the darknet, he has to pay a ransom or so. Since normally bitcoin is geek money and only geeks get in fire when hearing about it. And since the usecases for average joe are very limited i think it is hard to catch him. Probably the use cases are the way to catch them, how the product is named might be second then.

At the end, with Bitcoin we have a pretty perfect name already. It sounds like internet money. We would not need to advertise the crypto aspect.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: