Bitcoin Forum
December 13, 2017, 05:37:22 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no arbitrage?  (Read 1795 times)
ztay

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 05:41:43 AM

I've never seen such price differences between exchanges. Anyone know why arbitrage isn't happening? Seems like you could make good money with arbitrage right now.

Bitfinix >$22 BTC-E
Houbi >$44 BTC-E
Bitstamp >$20 BTC-E

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elisa9825

Activity: 39

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 05:58:03 AM

I've never seen such price differences between exchanges. Anyone know why arbitrage isn't happening? Seems like you could make good money with arbitrage right now.
Bitfinix >$22 BTC-E
Houbi >$44 BTC-E
Bitstamp >$20 BTC-E
I think somebody is doing it. But they are doing it not exposing to others.
souspeed
Legendary

Activity: 1190

Thx Greg / Core developers! Bitcoin Core Rules!

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 06:06:51 AM

Bitfinix >$22 BTC-E
Houbi >$44 BTC-E
Bitstamp >$20 BTC-E

Please keep in mind that there are costs and risk involved in exploiting this arbitrage.

But of course there are people making money with this large arbitrage opportunity.
It is just that the current upward price pressure on the chinese exchanges keeps the arbitrage as large as it is.

Free bitcoins, to reveal private key scratch here ==>>  5▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
ztay

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 06:42:39 AM

I don't remember a $20 spread between western exchanges except when an exchange was in trouble (CampBX, MTGox).

Was there this kind of difference between western exchanges in 2013?

Just wondering if I should scramble and setup a bitstamp/btc-e account and buy on btc-e and sell on bitstamp. Even with fees it's $13 profit for each coin.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 08:06:11 AM

they are doing it with bot, but all those exchange require heavy verification, and i don't like this

anyway if you do it manually there is a loss, compared to bot
ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2015, 08:11:17 AM

There are fees when it comes to withdrawals and it takes too much time for funds to transfer from one exchange to another. Additionally, there are several verification to go through. Profit isn't always guaranteed too.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
pissedoff

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 08:42:39 AM

There are fees when it comes to withdrawals and it takes too much time for funds to transfer from one exchange to another. Additionally, there are several verification to go through. Profit isn't always guaranteed too.

I have tried arbitrate in the past and the margin is quite small due to the transfer speed.
I have seen some arbitrate bots on the market that identifies opportunities and helps complete the process faster but I have not tested any yet.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2015, 01:59:09 PM

Well I'm sure it is taking place but probably it's just that it is not happening fast enough. In reality in order to exploit the gap, you have to take into considerations many other factors like fund availability and fees cost. Most of the time, the gaps will be narrowed down automatically when people start to buy in and do a quick sell off to start to take advantage of it.

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 02:19:55 PM

Well I'm sure it is taking place but probably it's just that it is not happening fast enough. In reality in order to exploit the gap, you have to take into considerations many other factors like fund availability and fees cost. Most of the time, the gaps will be narrowed down automatically when people start to buy in and do a quick sell off to start to take advantage of it.

There seems to have been enough time to move funds around. At least, I don't think it takes several weeks to move the funds? For more than a week now the gap has been this wide.

It must be difficult to get the funds from the Chinese exchanges, but the western ones should not be that hard right.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 02:34:05 PM

Bitfinix >$22 BTC-E
Houbi >$44 BTC-E
Bitstamp >$20 BTC-E

You could if you had accounts open on all of these exchanges that are verified and loaded with cash. Not too many people has this since you need different bank accounts, different residential addresses all over the world, etc.

The ones who have all of this can make a lot of money on arbitrage, yes. Also some people have few accounts opened but don't have cash in them. It takes few days to wire money to the exchanges, etc.

All in all not as easy as it seems!
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 03:28:56 PM

Well, those margins seem certainly really tempting, but honestly I don't go through the hassle of getting verified on several exchanges, and then pray that while I transfer the money from exchange A to B im not missing on some really nice gains that I could have made by simply holding onto my coins safely.

▀
   ▄▄▄   ▄▀
   ███ ▄▄▄▄  ██
       ████
    ▄  ▀▀▀▀
▄▄
      ██    ▀▀
██▄█▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀███▀▀▀
██████████████████
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███▀▀▀▀▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███ ▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀████████
▀█████████████████
]
,CoinPayments,
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
afriezalie

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 03:33:30 PM

You need long time to withdraw your fund from one exchanger to another exchanger. Also bitcoin fluctuation can happen in short period right now and you have to think about withdraw fee
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 03:37:04 PM

Bitfinix >$22 BTC-E
Houbi >$44 BTC-E
Bitstamp >$20 BTC-E

You could if you had accounts open on all of these exchanges that are verified and loaded with cash. Not too many people has this since you need different bank accounts, different residential addresses all over the world, etc.

The ones who have all of this can make a lot of money on arbitrage, yes. Also some people have few accounts opened but don't have cash in them. It takes few days to wire money to the exchanges, etc.

They have arbitrage bots that triggers trades when the gap between exchanges are enough to profit minus the fees. This is rampant in ForEx, imagine the margins there are just cents apart.

I'm pretty sure this is rampant in btc trading too, as things are easier here, transferring money costs so little.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 04:02:01 PM

Bitfinix >$22 BTC-E
Houbi >$44 BTC-E
Bitstamp >$20 BTC-E

They have arbitrage bots that triggers trades when the gap between exchanges are enough to profit minus the fees. This is rampant in ForEx, imagine the margins there are just cents apart.

I'm pretty sure this is rampant in btc trading too, as things are easier here, transferring money costs so little.

Yes, bots are another thing. But these are run by professionals almost always and by the people that know what they are doing so I don't count these for an ordinary people.

Of course that with the bots, arbitrage is almost seamless. You still have to have accounts and money on all exchanges.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 04:04:30 PM

this, by the time the money is transferred from one exchange to the other, you have paid several withdrawal fees and several days may have passed.

during this time the window of profit may have been gone.

it's pretty risky to commit arbitrage, and it's even more difficult if you want to do it from huobi to bitstamp or something, because of the CNY -> USD also costs fees.
bitmarket.net

Activity: 257

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2015, 04:36:03 PM

How much volume was there to buy/sell this prices ?

It might be that there's a 0,01 btc to buy at 350 and few prices below, but the first large order is somewhere around 348, or lower.

BitMarket.net- Europe's most advanced cryptocurrency exchange
pissedoff

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 06:54:46 PM

this, by the time the money is transferred from one exchange to the other, you have paid several withdrawal fees and several days may have passed.

during this time the window of profit may have been gone.

it's pretty risky to commit arbitrage, and it's even more difficult if you want to do it from huobi to bitstamp or something, because of the CNY -> USD also costs fees.

That is the main reason why I stopped doing arbitrage, Day trading is more profitable for me.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 07:37:40 PM

How much volume was there to buy/sell this prices ?

It might be that there's a 0,01 btc to buy at 350 and few prices below, but the first large order is somewhere around 348, or lower.

yeah it's a common strategy to increase the price, and create a fake pump

i see this all the time in the altcoin, with low volume, or very manipulated one
smiles

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 07:48:59 PM

The arbitrage in Canada is really good right now.

Check out the live exchange data chart.

https://www.cbix.ca/
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2394

Irrational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2015, 09:39:53 PM

In the past, when you saw spreads this wide among exchanges, it signaled that one of them was in serious trouble.  These arbitrage opportunities show you that people are losing confidence in the exchange and anyone who got left holding the bag with mtgox would tell you to keep your money the hell away from btc-e.

BITSLER                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀