Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:46:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volume reporting for bitcoin exchanges  (Read 726 times)
bitmarket.net (OP)

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 12:01:36 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2015, 12:46:20 PM by bitmarket.net

What do you think about the convention for the bitcoin exchanges to show the volume as the average for the 24 hours ?

Other financial markets, even the futures markets in the US, which are open 24h during the weekdays, always post the volume for the given day.
Isn't easier to compare the volume for the day this way ?
We could also avoid the case of the "decreasing volume", which may confuse some people.

The exchanges would have to agree on using the single timezone for the ease of comparison.
After a while, people would know what the average volume is e.g. by mid-day New York time and they could see how the current volume compares to it.

BitMarket.net- Europe's most advanced cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 01:59:38 PM

What do you think about the convention for the bitcoin exchanges to show the volume as the average for the 24 hours ?

Other financial markets, even the futures markets in the US, which are open 24h during the weekdays, always post the volume for the given day.
We could also avoid the case of the "decreasing volume", which may confuse some people.

The exchanges would have to agree on using the single timezone for the ease of comparison.
After a while, people would know what the average volume is e.g. by mid-day New York time and they could see how the current volume compares to it.

It really makes no difference to me. 24 hour volumes suit me well and I am used to them. The problem with your suggestion is that Bitcoin exchanges are much more global or I would even say completely global. Not like the exchanges that are based only in the US for example. For these exchanges it makes sense to report daily volume. For a Bitfinex exchange that can use a customer in Europe, customer in the US and customer in India, 24h volume is the most suitable in my opinion.
bitmarket.net (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 02:13:15 PM

It really makes no difference to me. 24 hour volumes suit me well and I am used to them. The problem with your suggestion is that Bitcoin exchanges are much more global or I would even say completely global. Not like the exchanges that are based only in the US for example. For these exchanges it makes sense to report daily volume. For a Bitfinex exchange that can use a customer in Europe, customer in the US and customer in India, 24h volume is the most suitable in my opinion.

Yes, many people got used to that being the standard for the bitcoin markets.

However it is not the case for the traditional exchanges.
Given that many people think that success of bitcoin to large extent depends on its adoption by institutional clients, perhaps we should consider reporting the volume "the way they do it on Wall Street" ?

Would you be opposed to such change, or it makes no difference to you ?
Don't you find nowadays that a day after a busy day, once the markets slow down, it is difficult to tell how much volume is really trading on the exchage ?

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:27:51 PM

Yes, many people got used to that being the standard for the bitcoin markets.

However it is not the case for the traditional exchanges.
Given that many people think that success of bitcoin to large extent depends on its adoption by institutional clients, perhaps we should consider reporting the volume "the way they do it on Wall Street" ?

Would you be opposed to such change, or it makes no difference to you ?
Don't you find nowadays that a day after a busy day, once the markets slow down, it is difficult to tell how much volume is really trading on the exchage ?

Look, it really makes no difference to me. But I am used to it just like any other crypto user. I also know about the possible lag after a busy day so I count that in.

Maybe the best thing would be to put an option to show the volume as you suggested. I mean we are programming experts, us crypto users. This would be easily incorporated into all exchanges, coinmarketcap, etc.

The bottom line is that I see this easily done if really necessary.
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 07:54:05 PM

Perhaps it is not in the interest of exchanges to agree with that. There are many exchanges, and maybe that would allow users to compare between them better and just use the best ones...

Eastwind

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 07:23:09 PM

Bitcoin trading is global. The trading is 24 hours, there is no start or stop of the trading during a day. So it is better to use 24 hour volume.
bitmarket.net (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 10:44:21 AM

Bitcoin trading is global. The trading is 24 hours, there is no start or stop of the trading during a day. So it is better to use 24 hour volume.

You are correct that bitcoin trading is global and 24/7.

In my opinion, the main drawback of the 24h average volume is that although it gives you the good idea of what the volume has been over the last 24h, it tells you nothing about how the volume is changing right now.

Futures markets in the US, which also trade 24h (monday to friday) reset their volume at midnight.
I think it might be a good idea to do the same on the bitcoin exchanges - we would have to agree which time zone to use though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: