Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:22:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restore Multibit wallet without "wallet words"  (Read 4273 times)
Lyftec (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:19:44 PM

Hi there, I'm kind of new to the whole bitcoin world. I used the classic multibit wallet without any problems.

But now I've installed MultibitHD on a Bitlocked USB stick. It was all working fine, until the programm suddenly closed, and I was not able to open it anymore (don't remember the error it was giving, sounded something like some installing files where missing). After that I choose to re-install MultibitHD, but I didn't write down my "wallet words" to restore my wallet. I still know my wallet address and offcourse my password. Is there any possibility to restore my coins?

I know it sounds kind of stupid to not write down my "wallet words", forgive me for that. And forgive me for my bad English, because it's not my mother language.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:22:55 PM

If you still have the private keys then will be easy to reinstall.

Otherwise I don't know

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 06:53:41 PM

Hi there, I'm kind of new to the whole bitcoin world. I used the classic multibit wallet without any problems.

But now I've installed MultibitHD on a Bitlocked USB stick. It was all working fine, until the programm suddenly closed, and I was not able to open it anymore (don't remember the error it was giving, sounded something like some installing files where missing). After that I choose to re-install MultibitHD, but I didn't write down my "wallet words" to restore my wallet. I still know my wallet address and offcourse my password. Is there any possibility to restore my coins?

Multibit HD is as the name suggests a HD wallet and works differently than Multibit Classic. The address is less important than the wallet files. Do you still have those?
See here -> https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_troubleshooting.html
for the typical locations.

I know it sounds kind of stupid to not write down my "wallet words", forgive me for that. And forgive me for my bad English, because it's not my mother language.

There are none for Multibit Classic.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Lyftec (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 10:08:26 AM

@ shorena: Can't find those files anywhere, even not with a Recuva scan.

And you mean I can open the new wallet which I made in MultibitHD, in Multibit classic?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 11:10:00 AM

@ shorena: Can't find those files anywhere, even not with a Recuva scan.

Not sure what that is, but if you checked the locations given on the multibit homepage for your OS and you have no other backup files I think your keys a very likely lost and thus your coins.

And you mean I can open the new wallet which I made in MultibitHD, in Multibit classic?

No, Multibit Classic does not work with the seed words, only Multibit HD does. You can essentially think of them as two completely different wallets.

Lyftec (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 11:29:35 AM

Okay. But why are you telling me `There are none for Multibit Classic`? because like I said, the problem was with Multibit HD.

And Recuva is a file recovery software.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

Okay. But why are you telling me `There are none for Multibit Classic`? because like I said, the problem was with Multibit HD.

Sorry if that was confusing. I meant it as in: There are no wallet words for Multibit Classic.

And Recuva is a file recovery software.

Oh, I dont know that software. Does it look for regular files or only "lost" files? If its just looking for files that have been deleted and you did not delete anything it might not look in the right spots.

Lyftec (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 11:50:55 AM

It was not confusing, I know what you meant. I just don't know why your speaking about this, because I never spoke about "wallet words" in the classic wallet..

And about Recuva, it looks for deleted files. And I deleted some files (accidentally), and because I've overwritten the software, like I said.
RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:55:34 PM

It was not confusing, I know what you meant. I just don't know why your speaking about this, because I never spoke about "wallet words" in the classic wallet..

And about Recuva, it looks for deleted files. And I deleted some files (accidentally), and because I've overwritten the software, like I said.

Just my two cents what you should do in a case like this:

1. Do not touch the USB device anymore
2. Run a live version of any Linux on your computer
3. Make an image of the USB device with rescuedd
4. Examine the image with Sleuthkit. IF therer are any deleted files, you would be able to see them.

GoldTiger69

Activity: 582
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 08:33:20 PM

If you only reinstalled the software, then your prior wallet still exist; reinstalling the software doesn't erase the wallets.

If you still have the entire directory of the wallet you want to restore, and you know your password, then I can help you (I've done this before in this case: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1198563.0).

The problem is that I need your wallet files and your password in order to restore your wallet, and that means you have to trust me those.

These is my business thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1234619.0.

I'm pretty sure I can help, you just need to trust me Smiley

In any case, I really hope you can get your coins back, I wish you the best luck.

I can help you to restore/recover your wallet or password.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1234619.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: