Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:05:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin core-qt, and 4 addresses to be checked  (Read 839 times)
r1973 (OP)

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:08:18 PM

A couple of months ago i opened/printed 4 paper wallets, and saved/moved a few bitcoins from a mobile app wallet to cold-storage.

These days, the online bitcoin explorers (like blockchain.info, blockexplorer.com, blocktrail.com/BTC, walletexplorer.com) sometime show me those 4 cold-storage-paper-wallets-addresses as valid and sometimes as invalid addresses.

I also run a full-node bitcoin core- qt, version 0.11, and someone told me to can check for myself on my computer, with the full node wallet that I am running on my PC, these 4 paper-addresses, making sure they are 100% on the main bitcoin blockchain by doing so: Help > Debug window >Bitcoin Core RPC console --> I should write >> importaddress [my address] coldstorage true <<

When I did so, the software run very slow, and it crashed...  

why? Did I do ok?

Can someone guide me - as simple as possible - on how to check for myself the main bitcoin blockchain, with a bitcoin-core-qt, these 4 paper-wallets, making sure I didn't lost the money by mistake?

thanks.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 07:06:37 PM

It could be that the specs of your computer aren't good enough. It could just be taxing your computer to much and it just crashes. Try to just run that without doing anything else on the computer and see if it crashes.

r1973 (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 07:52:12 PM

It could be that the specs of your computer aren't good enough. It could just be taxing your computer to much and it just crashes. Try to just run that without doing anything else on the computer and see if it crashes.

thanks... it worked.

How do I undo this (i.e. remove these addresses viewing from the bitcoin-core-qt)? What is the command line for that?
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 08:04:07 PM

If it is the paper wallets you want back:

You will have to create the same number/amount of paper wallts that are similar to the ones that you created. You will then have to print these again. You cannot undo this in any other way I don't think... I think they work a bit like vouchers, you can only use the bitcoin that is on them.

When you said it crashed before, if it hadn't have worked and you only had that program running then you could have gone to task manager (taskmgr.exe in windows) and searched for the process of bitcoin-qt.exe in the taskmanager program. Right click on the process and click set priority and then click High or above normal. IF the program is running on its own there should be no errors but proceed with caution as this can cause system instability.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 08:07:40 PM

When you said it crashed before, if it hadn't have worked and you only had that program running then you could have gone to task manager (taskmgr.exe in windows) and searched for the process of bitcoin-qt.exe in the taskmanager program. Right click on the process and click set priority and then click High or above normal.

If bitcoin-qt is the only program running, increasing its scheduler priority won't improve its performance dramatically (unless some hidden process/service was spinning at 100% CPU), but will rather only serve to introduce possible instabilities if you increase the priority above that of a MORE important (but less intensive) process, such as one that handles events quickly.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 08:39:02 PM

When you said it crashed before, if it hadn't have worked and you only had that program running then you could have gone to task manager (taskmgr.exe in windows) and searched for the process of bitcoin-qt.exe in the taskmanager program. Right click on the process and click set priority and then click High or above normal.

If bitcoin-qt is the only program running, increasing its scheduler priority won't improve its performance dramatically (unless some hidden process/service was spinning at 100% CPU), but will rather only serve to introduce possible instabilities if you increase the priority above that of a MORE important (but less intensive) process, such as one that handles events quickly.

True, but most of the important processes in OS's such as windows are already set to a high priority if they are not intense on the CPU but need a high priority. A processes that handles events quickly would be one of these that are already at a default of being set a high priority along with the hosts for internet and othre parts of the hosts of computer such as the usb port viewing from the explorer.exe process that will already be set to realtime priority but will not show this. If you have programs like Microsoft Office or intense programs like Android Studio or anti virus detection services then it may be better to disable these or reduce their priority only if necessary as this too can cause instability-/b]
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 08:48:30 PM

thanks... it worked.

How do I undo this (i.e. remove these addresses viewing from the bitcoin-core-qt)? What is the command line for that?

AFAIK you cant remove an imported watch only address without using external tools like pywallet. You can also restore a recent backup wallet file.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
r1973 (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:14:06 PM

thanks... it worked.

AFAIK you cant remove an imported watch only address without using external tools like pywallet. You can also restore a recent backup wallet file.

Ok, thanks. BTW, I can see my imported watch only address on the bitcoin-core-qt, but when I search THE SAME address on blockchain.info, i get an "Unrecognized search pattern" message. Why? Is that a bug in blockchain.info? Please explain...
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:17:24 PM

True, but most of the important processes in OS's such as windows are already set to a high priority if they are not intense on the CPU but need a high priority. A processes that handles events quickly would be one of these that are already at a default of being set a high priority along with the hosts for internet and othre parts of the hosts of computer such as the usb port viewing from the explorer.exe process that will already be set to realtime priority but will not show this. If you have programs like Microsoft Office or intense programs like Android Studio or anti virus detection services then it may be better to disable these or reduce their priority only if necessary as this too can cause instability-/b]

First, the "USB Port viewing from the explorer.exe process" would not be set to a realtime priority. It's handled by driver-mode code, while this is discussing the scheduling of user-mode executables. Additionally, it doesn't matter what priorities are set, since when bitcoin-qt.exe already has 97% of the CPU at normal priority, taking 2% away from more important processes so that bitcoin-qt.exe would have 99 won't make much of a difference in terms of completing the task involved.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 09:49:37 PM

-snip-
Ok, thanks. BTW, I can see my imported watch only address on the bitcoin-core-qt, but when I search THE SAME address on blockchain.info, i get an "Unrecognized search pattern" message. Why? Is that a bug in blockchain.info? Please explain...

Not entirely sure, but its also not uncommon for blockchain.info to have issues. There are other blockchain explorers you might want to consult -> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Block_chain_browsers

As long as the address starts with a 1 or 3 and has 26-35 base58[1] symbols it is most likely correct though.

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Base58Check_encoding#Base58_symbol_chart

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: