Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:21:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blocknotify not happening after logging out of SSH?  (Read 716 times)
Envrin (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 03:10:12 PM

Having an issue with blocknotify firing on one of the servers I'm responsible for, and am left scratching my head, especially since all other servers are working like a charm.  Quick rundown:

- Bitcoin Core v0.11.1 across all servers

- walletnotify works perfectly at all times

- Both, blocknotify and walletnotify commands are correctly configured, software is fine and tested, etc.  No issues there.

- bitcoind is setup to run under user "coind", all permissions and ownerships are set correctly.

- All servers fire blocknotify just fine, except for one.

- Within the problematic server, if I login and restart bitcoind, it begins firing blocknotify command just fine.  However, when I close that SSH session, it immediately stops firing the blocknotify command, but continues to fire the walletnotify command.

- All servers are set with "daemon=1" in the bitcoin.conf file, although with the problematic server I've tried, "server=1", "daemon=1", and both at the same time, with no luck.

- All servers are CentOS 6/7  64bit

Any idea why this would be happening?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 03:12:35 PM

This smacks of the bitcoind process being owned by the shell - are you sure that bitcoind itself is still running when you log out of SSH?
Envrin (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 03:19:57 PM

This smacks of the bitcoind process being owned by the shell - are you sure that bitcoind itself is still running when you log out of SSH?

bitcoind process is still running after I log out.  I can login with a different session and see it via "ps auxw | grep bitcoind", plus it continues to fire the walletnotify command flawlessly.  It stops firing the blocknotify command when I logout of the SSH session I restarted bitcoind with though for some reason.

I'm quite perplexed, and have to admit, am at a bit of a loss here.
monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 03:38:55 PM

bitcoind process is still running after I log out.  I can login with a different session and see it via "ps auxw | grep bitcoind", plus it continues to fire the walletnotify command flawlessly.  It stops firing the blocknotify command when I logout of the SSH session I restarted bitcoind with though for some reason.

I'm quite perplexed, and have to admit, am at a bit of a loss here.

Is the thing which blocknotify triggers somehow tied to the login shell process/user?
Envrin (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 03:45:05 PM

Nope, not at all.  It's just a simple 3 line bash script, same as what walletnotify fires.

Plus I have about a dozen servers here, and they're all working fine, except this one.  The 'bitcoind' binary hasn't been modified, and I've verified the SHA hash on it, so it's not that.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 04:17:57 PM

Nope, not at all.  It's just a simple 3 line bash script, same as what walletnotify fires.

Plus I have about a dozen servers here, and they're all working fine, except this one.  The 'bitcoind' binary hasn't been modified, and I've verified the SHA hash on it, so it's not that.

Devil's advocate - swap the scripts around and see if the other script fails to execute
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: