Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:10:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are ASIC's the endgame?  (Read 3197 times)
Meatball (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:20:25 AM

Considering BFL has said their going to be running 65nm parts and the big CPU vendors are pushing out 22nm stuff already, it's not a stretch to imagine ASIC's getting down to 22nm or smaller.  That's give you even more power efficiency.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 07:30:11 AM

Considering BFL has said their going to be running 65nm parts and the big CPU vendors are pushing out 22nm stuff already, it's not a stretch to imagine ASIC's getting down to 22nm or smaller.  That's give you even more power efficiency.

We will see a 22nm ASIC only in 10 years or if bitcoin becomes mainstream before that.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 09:31:46 AM

We will see a 22nm ASIC only in 10 years or if bitcoin becomes mainstream before that.

Yes. Let's not forget that the only company doing 22nm is Intel (amd has not been able to get a 22nm process for their CPUs, and I believe Intel boxes them out of fabs for 22nm as well). And the last Intel 65nm CPU was the Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6700 which came out in Nov-07. 5 years to go from 65nm -> 22nm for a Multi-BILLION dollar microprocessing giant. Admittedly once it has been done, it becomes easier to do again, but the cutting edge of ASIC technology is ~7 years behind.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 02:17:04 PM

AMD makes 28nm GPUs  Wink

Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Another block in the wall

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 02:43:12 PM

So it's safe to assume the ASIC tech will progress like Pentium......just keeps getting smaller for multi-cores.....

In Cryptography we trust.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

So it's safe to assume the ASIC tech will progress like Pentium......just keeps getting smaller for multi-cores.....

It's already more advanced than than most of the pentium series of processors. I believe they didn't even get to 65nm until the Pentium 4.

The problem with this "things are going to keep getting smaller" theory is that we're approaching the laws of physics with transistor sizes this small. And we're already quite limited to clock rate because of physics.
BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 06:30:35 PM

The problem with this "things are going to keep getting smaller" theory is that we're approaching the laws of physics with transistor sizes this small. And we're already quite limited to clock rate because of physics.
Bah.  We've been "approaching the laws of physics" for decades.  About 20 years ago, I heard declarations that silicon will never break 250MHz.  The frequency limit has more to do with line lengths, turns, and signal phasing than transistor sizes.  I've already heard about silicon switching tested around 500GHz.  Doing that with complex data paths and keeping the signals phased correctly is where the magic is.

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2012, 09:01:11 PM

Bah.  We've been "approaching the laws of physics" for decades.  About 20 years ago, I heard declarations that silicon will never break 250MHz.  The frequency limit has more to do with line lengths, turns, and signal phasing than transistor sizes.  I've already heard about silicon switching tested around 500GHz.  Doing that with complex data paths and keeping the signals phased correctly is where the magic is.

Well we the Van der Walls radius of a silicon atom is 220pm, so it is reasonable to assume that any transistor must be at least 6 times that. (3 atoms two for each junction) that's 1.32 nm. Then you probably cannot 'dope' a single atom so that figure is double again to 2.64nm.
If you then consider that any semiconductor must include a certain doping ratio that figure (the minimal number of atoms per junction) becomes larger and larger so we are not that far away and it's reasonable to assume that transistors can only get one magnitude smaller than they are currently at best.
rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2012, 11:02:51 PM

If someone finds someway to reduce the work by for example 20 bits it would be a million times faster.
That trick could work for all current technologies, cpu/gpa/fpga/asic.
But keep in mind, the trick would be something many cryptographers haven't found yet. So personally I would bet on quantum computers.
This is actually very good comment and such thing is already researched: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-2#Cryptanalysis_and_validation . Even if it does not endanger full SHA hash function yet, it is really possible someone soon figures out how to use these "meet-in-the-middle preimage attacks" to reduce the work by at least few bits. I'm sure there are people hard thinking about it already.

EDIT: And it does not mean it will necessarily work for all technologies. If it will need gobs of parallel computation, FPGA/ASICs are way to go. If it will rely on accessing terabytes of memory (think rainbow tables), CPU will suffice.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 01:03:49 AM

Well we the Van der Walls radius of a silicon atom is 220pm, so it is reasonable to assume that any transistor must be at least 6 times that. (3 atoms two for each junction) that's 1.32 nm. Then you probably cannot 'dope' a single atom so that figure is double again to 2.64nm.
If you then consider that any semiconductor must include a certain doping ratio that figure (the minimal number of atoms per junction) becomes larger and larger so we are not that far away and it's reasonable to assume that transistors can only get one magnitude smaller than they are currently at best.
Before you go too far with that, 2 and 3nm transistors have been demonstrated.  You still want to say our noses are against the silicon performance wall?   Grin

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 01:27:13 AM

Before you go too far with that, 2 and 3nm transistors have been demonstrated.  You still want to say our noses are against the silicon performance wall?   Grin
Yes.
IIRC that weren't 2 to 3 nm transistors but transistors with a resolution of 2 to 3 nm (that's ~6 atoms). It's close to what is physically possible but not the end of the line.
That is I always assumed the nm figure in microelectronics refers to the feature size, alas the average size of an element, the transistor, correct me if I'm wrong. In that case the demonstrated transistor would even be about at the end of the line.

However, current tech approaching it's limit doesn't need to mean progress must stop here. We can for one produce larger chips or even wafer scale designs, stack them for "3D chips" and finally something like "holographic computers" where the properties of the quantum states of individual atoms are used for useful computation. The next limit would be the plank units but that's a long way.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: