Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:35:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core  (Read 9286 times)
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 09:26:01 AM

What is the current status on different proposals for this matter?
I haven't looked into it for a while. Any code for the other BIPs, any decisions in sight?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Corealz

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 09:46:11 AM

Yeah ok, lets fork bitcoin during this huge pump. That would in no way fuck up the market at all  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:21:17 AM

Armstrong should stick to what he is good at, shuffling money around, schmoozing up to political power brokers and extracting personal financial data for reporting to authorities ... and leave his limited technical ability out of the public spotlight, in case people begin to doubt the wisdom of investing in his company.

He can do what he wants to do. Bitcoin is not a darkcoin. If you need a darkcoin, you can change your bitcoins at any time.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:27:28 AM

Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core by the end of December

Coinbase? Isn't it that company which practices tricks bordering with scamming? Like not allowing to sell BTC to realize profits or delaying purchases to make the deal unprofitable for the customer? No, thx.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:37:47 AM

XT and BIP 101 FTW.

It's time for participants to rise up against the tyranny and lies of Blockstream/Core.
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:58:19 AM

I say this with all sincerity to those who want bigger blocks now. Please fork already instead of this constant posturing! Fork the code. Mine your fork. Trade your forked coins. I wish you all the best, and would prefer the community split along these irreconcilable lines.

Do it! Let the chips fall where they may.

Stop talking. Do.

You are right! BTW you can't prevent people from changing the code and thus forking the network anyway.
Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:59:23 AM

Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core by the end of December

Coinbase? Isn't it that company which practices tricks bordering with scamming? Like not allowing to sell BTC to realize profits or delaying purchases to make the deal unprofitable for the customer?

Maybe not; otherwise they wouldn't attract so many bitcoiners. It's up to you, MOA and alikes to build a better business for the community.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:03:39 AM

Coinbase? Isn't it that company which practices tricks bordering with scamming? Like not allowing to sell BTC to realize profits or delaying purchases to make the deal unprofitable for the customer?

Maybe not; otherwise they wouldn't attract so many bitcoiners. It's up to you, MOA and alikes to build a better business for the community.

... it's already being built. There are none so blind than those that do not want to see.

Bitcoininspace

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:11:33 AM

Armstrong should stick to what he is good at, shuffling money around, schmoozing up to political power brokers and extracting personal financial data for reporting to authorities ... and leave his limited technical ability out of the public spotlight, in case people begin to doubt the wisdom of investing in his company.

He can do what he wants to do. Bitcoin is not a darkcoin. If you need a darkcoin, you can change your bitcoins at any time.

At what date did you wake up today? Darkcoins hasn't been called Dark in ages, they are called Dash now.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:17:59 AM

Maybe not; otherwise they wouldn't attract so many bitcoiners.

Coinbase just exploits its dominant position, this doesn't make it a good company nor adds credibility to that CEO guy words.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:26:56 AM

what will happen otherwise? they will simply continue to use core? because i think they don't known how consensus, work if they think they can instigate a change in this way

nothing will happen by december, and certainly mainers are not in favor of XT
Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:39:27 AM

At what date did you wake up today? Darkcoins hasn't been called Dark in ages, they are called Dash now.

Everybody knows that. I wrote: ' a darkcoin'. That means any dark cryptocoin.
Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:43:53 AM

Coinbase just exploits its dominant position, this doesn't make it a good company nor adds credibility to that CEO guy words.

It's up to you and MOA to build a better business that is more trustfull to the community. The more bitcoiners trust your business, the more dominant you become.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:54:20 AM

It's up to you and MOA to build a better business that is more trustfull to the community. The more bitcoiners who trust you, the more dominant you become.

you are so lost in the rage of your vendetta you do not see how far you have strayed. Because bitcoin is all about putting your trust into dominant central institutions like coinbase with your wealth and financial data in Brian Armstrong's hands?!

Please just try to leave the politics at the door and contribute to the technical solutions.

Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 12:18:40 PM

It's up to you and MOA to build a better business that is more trustfull to the community. The more bitcoiners who trust you, the more dominant you become.

you are so lost in the rage of your vendetta you do not see how far you have strayed. Because bitcoin is all about putting your trust into dominant central institutions like coinbase with your wealth and financial data in Brian Armstrong's hands?!

Please just try to leave the politics at the door and contribute to the technical solutions.

You know very well which side represents the vendetta and enforced domination: The cheerleaders of the Totalitarians and the Censors.
There is only one real central institution: The core developers. But this centralization will soon be history.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 12:32:48 PM

What is the current status on different proposals for this matter?
I haven't looked into it for a while. Any code for the other BIPs, any decisions in sight?
Since nobody answered my question, I guess, that nothing changed in the last 2 months. Just another hate against hate-thread.
You guys are ridiculous, but thanks for the reminder, why I haven't been active ...

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Bitcoininspace

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 12:44:36 PM

Everybody knows that. I wrote: ' a darkcoin'. That means any dark cryptocoin.

I've never really heard anyone call altcoins for darkcoins except if they meant the actual darkcoin. But yeah, that was the only confusion.

Any specific altcoins you call "dark" or just all of them?
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 02:48:48 PM

what will happen otherwise? they will simply continue to use core? because i think they don't known how consensus, work if they think they can instigate a change in this way

nothing will happen by december, and certainly mainers are not in favor of XT

BIP101 is the only proposition which is more than a concept and has actual code.

I think participants will re-evaluate if we bump into the limit and it causes some inconvenience.

Miners cannot afford unhappy users, their business would be ruined quite quickly.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 02:53:39 PM

BIP101 is the only proposition which is more than a concept and has actual code.

I think participants will re-evaluate if we bump into the limit and it causes some inconvenience.

Miners cannot afford unhappy users, their business would be ruined quite quickly.
Wrong. This is a simplified version of a possible scenario based on (nearly) zero evidence. To clear up: 1) Miners don't really care about you; 2) Businesses would not be ruined because of a backlog of transactions, certainly not quickly; 3) People who want their transactions processed sooner need only to include a higher fee; it is that simple. Anyone saying that the fees are going to become $1+ instantly is spreading nonsense. BIP101 is one of the worst possible "solutions" that I've read about. It comes close to the 'no limit at all' idea.

Tl;dr: Nobody can predict the future, so stop trying to predict the block size.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 03:01:22 PM

Wrong. This is a simplified version of a possible scenario based on (nearly) zero evidence. To clear up: 1) Miners don't really care about you; 2) Businesses would not be ruined because of a backlog of transactions, certainly not quickly; 3) People who want their transactions processed sooner need only to include a higher fee; it is that simple. Anyone saying that the fees are going to become $1+ instantly is spreading nonsense. BIP101 is one of the worst possible "solutions" that I've read about. It comes close to the 'no limit at all' idea.

Tl;dr: Nobody can predict the future, so stop trying to predict the block size.

If nothing is done by Core before the end of December, the industry is planning a fork with BIP101 probably done with XT. That is something we can be sure of.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: