Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:29:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The word Bitcoin  (Read 1736 times)
Seal (OP)
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 04:31:03 AM

Is it in the dictionary yet? I'm sure its spreading use will soon justify an entry. What are the conditions to get it in there?

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 04:33:01 AM

Hey,

To decide which words to include in the dictionary and to determine what they mean, Merriam-Webster editors study the language as it's used. They carefully monitor which words people use most often and how they use them.
Each day most Merriam-Webster editors devote an hour or two to reading a cross section of published material, including books, newspapers, magazines, and electronic publications; in our office this activity is called "reading and marking." The editors scour the texts in search of new words, new usages of existing words, variant spellings, and inflected forms–in short, anything that might help in deciding if a word belongs in the dictionary, understanding what it means, and determining typical usage. Any word of interest is marked, along with surrounding context that offers insight into its form and use.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/words_in.htm

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 04:35:14 AM

Is it in the dictionary yet? I'm sure its spreading use will soon justify an entry. What are the conditions to get it in there?

What do you mean by "the dictionary"? There is not one central dictionary. Each one has their own rules.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 04:55:08 AM

What do you mean by "the dictionary"? There is not one central dictionary. Each one has their own rules.

It's in several of my dictionaries already. Yes sir, no squiggly red lines for me anymore.
Seal (OP)
Donator

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 05:01:44 AM

Any of the major dictionaries. Eg. Oxford English and other equivalents.

Somebody needs to throw an entry up on urban dictionary too if it isn't already on there Tongue

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 05:27:49 AM

Somebody needs to throw an entry up on urban dictionary too if it isn't already on there Tongue

Only if there were a The Dictionary Foundation.
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 06:00:57 AM

Lol, someone should ask The Foundation Foundation to set one up.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 07:04:24 AM

Just spoke with The Seance Foundation and was informed that Asimov is on it.
Seal (OP)
Donator

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 05:08:26 AM

Just spoke with The Seance Foundation and was informed that Asimov is on it.

Is that even real? Or am I missing something

hxtop

Activity: 1071

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:59:33 PM

"the dictionary"  i think it's just a web guider
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 12:58:56 AM

Always thought bitgold would have been better. "Coin" suggests "currency", but then again "gold" suggests "physical".

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2012, 03:11:16 AM

Always thought bitgold would have been better. "Coin" suggests "currency", but then again "gold" suggests "physical".
nothing else sounds right, i think bitcoin is perfect

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 03:03:48 PM

"Bitgold" suggests that it is related to gold in some way, like having units backed by gold or something. This is flase and would be misleading, since the price of gold in bitcoins fluctuates just like the price of everything else.

Bitcoin is a currency, and whle it shares a couple properties with gold they are not related.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: