Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:24:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Theresa May unveils UK surveillance measures in wake of Snowden claims  (Read 946 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 07:24:10 PM

Theresa May unveils UK surveillance measures in wake of Snowden claims

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/04/theresa-may-surveillance-measures-edward-snowden

- Spy agencies free to track everyone's internet use without warrant
- UK governments have signed secret orders on data collection for years
- Snowden says bill is most intrusive surveillance regime in the west

New surveillance powers will be given to the police and security services, allowing them to access records tracking every UK citizen's use of the internet without any judicial check, under the provisions of the draft investigatory powers bill unveiled by Theresa May. It includes new powers requiring internet and phone companies to keep "internet connection records" – tracking every website visited but not every page – for a maximum of 12 months but will not require a warrant for the police, security services or other bodies to access the data. Local authorities will be banned from accessing internet records.

Key points

- Requires web and phone companies to store records of websites visited by every citizen for 12 months for access by police, security services and other public bodies.
- Makes explicit in law for the first time security services' powers for the "bulk collection" of large volumes of personal communications data.
- Makes explicit in law for the first time powers of the security services and police to hack and bug into computers and phones. Places new legal obligation on companies to assist in these operations to bypass encryption.
- New "double-lock" on ministerial authorisation of intercept warrants with panel of seven judicial commissioners given power of veto. But exemptions allowed in "urgent cases" of up to five days.
- Existing system of three oversight commissioners replaced with single investigatory powers commissioner who will be a senior judge.
- Prime minister to be consulted in all cases involving interception of MPs' communications. Safeguards on requests for communications data in other "sensitive professions" such as journalists to be written into law.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zenitzz

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 08:22:49 PM

I'm not sure Chairwoman Theresa Mao's Chinese style internet policing legislation will ever see the light of day.
But she's welcome to search my internet history of trainers, winter jumpers, football and pictures of cats whenever she wants.
dex1

Activity: 141
Merit: 115

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 12:42:43 AM

This bill is characterised by a clear anti-democratic attitude. Those in power are deemed to be good, and are therefore given the benefit of the doubt.
Those without power – eg citizens (or the more accurately named subjects) – are potentially bad, and therefore must be watched and monitored closely and constantly.

Welcome to "1984".
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/08/surveillance-bill-snoopers-charter-george-orwell

Mudd

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 06:34:00 PM

Either these politicans are stupid or are just using terrorism as an excuse to push all this mass surveillance through. Whatever measures you put in place to try stop terrorism they will just either stop using those methods or find new ones. Really don't think  terrorists are going to be using facebook and texts to orchestrate terror attacks any more and if they do they will just use proxies or tor or soemthing so all it does is punish the average person.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:01:47 PM

Given the fact that the vast majority of the Brits are brainwashed beyond redemption, I have little doubt that Chairwoman Theresa Mao will face no opposition for this farce. The same is true with the United States as well. A majority of the population supports these "surveillance" measures by the government agencies against the citizens.
tzpardi

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:42:21 PM

Given the fact that the vast majority of the Brits are brainwashed beyond redemption, I have little doubt that Chairwoman Theresa Mao will face no opposition for this farce. The same is true with the United States as well. A majority of the population supports these "surveillance" measures by the government agencies against the citizens.

Unfortunately it seems there is no serious opposition, never mind civil unrest to this bill. One article in the Guardian today, that's all.
zenitzz

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 09:22:03 PM

This bill is characterised by a clear anti-democratic attitude. Those in power are deemed to be good, and are therefore given the benefit of the doubt.
Those without power – eg citizens (or the more accurately named subjects) – are potentially bad, and therefore must be watched and monitored closely and constantly.

Welcome to "1984".
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/08/surveillance-bill-snoopers-charter-george-orwell

So why isn't everyone completely upset about this? Normally that would be a rhetoric question but in this case I really want to know, to the degree anyone can explain with some sort of factual study, why this doesn't seem to bother most people?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 10:15:57 PM
Last edit: November 10, 2015, 02:07:39 AM by Spendulus

So why isn't everyone completely upset about this? Normally that would be a rhetoric question but in this case I really want to know, to the degree anyone can explain with some sort of factual study, why this doesn't seem to bother most people?

And who watches the watchers?
StateOfAffairs

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 12:00:13 AM

I'm sure Jeremy Corbyn could do something to put a motion forward to stop this. Theresa May has some real Neo-Con ambitions, it's a shame to see the Conservatives (a party that used to respect privacy) putting this forward. 1984, Big Brother-esque indeed.

We just want to fap and browse in peace.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 02:09:29 AM

Unfortunately it seems there is no serious opposition, never mind civil unrest to this bill. One article in the Guardian today, that's all.

Civil unrest in the United Kingdom? Just forget about it. When was the last time you had civil unrest in England? The people have become too meek, as a result of the rabid political correctness propaganda. In case a civil unrest happens in the future within the United Kingdom, it will be led by the immigrants, and not by the natives.
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 08:55:05 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/10/surveillance-bill-dire-consequences-apple-tim-cook

Jesus - even Tim Cook thinks its beyond the pale.

I''l hold my hands up - technologically I'm not the sharpest knife in the rack. Could someone explain to me how, if I use Tor and Enigmail, this is going to affect me ?

I mean, either encryption is secure or it isn't ?

Jo Public is fucked, I'll grant you. But the rest of us will be in the same position as before. Won't we?
LondonTrader

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 12:53:06 AM

Hi

The UK is getting far too restrictive. It already has far too many cctv cameras and citizens are starting to get fed up.

People should definitely start to use more encryption and vpn etc so that they can at least get some sort of freedom back

Bye
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 01:22:04 AM

Civil unrest in the United Kingdom? Just forget about it. When was the last time you had civil unrest in England? The people have become too meek, as a result of the rabid political correctness propaganda. In case a civil unrest happens in the future within the United Kingdom, it will be led by the immigrants, and not by the natives.

Is rabid political correctness propaganda a certain path to a meek, submissive population?

Interesting point of view.

I know that Britian has cowed any and everyone from protesting illogic, myth and self serving viewpoints in "climate change."

Is it across the board?
fuddudle

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:12:52 AM

This is a real cause for concern. Civil liberties being challenged again in the name of protecting against terrorism..

galdur

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 06:47:16 AM

Prime Minister Pigfucker and Chairwoman Mao. Cute pair. The Brits get what want and what they deserve.  These people get into power through elections in a so called democracy after all.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: