Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:07:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm an idiot and I've lost everything...  (Read 1728 times)
AbeTheCat (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 07:37:05 PM

So last october I bought some bitcoins for the first time (0.7) and left them in my Electrum wallet.

I completely forgotten about them due to getting a new computer and all sorts only with the recent media hype I checked my Electrum to see if they were still there and realised I can't send them as I've forgotten my password.

I also have no record of my Seed so restoring isn't really an option.

My password was something basic IIRC, like Molly88 or Queen99 so is there any brute force app that can try and guess this? If not does that mean the BTC is gone for good?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 08:57:18 PM

This thread is about brute forcing the bitcoin core client but it should be possible change it in order to be used with electrum:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170694.0

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 09:04:27 PM

Dont bother with the ruby scripts, they are slow.

use this -> https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

if you need help let me know, maybe I can assist.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:05:25 PM

So last october I bought some bitcoins for the first time (0.7) and left them in my Electrum wallet.

I completely forgotten about them due to getting a new computer and all sorts only with the recent media hype I checked my Electrum to see if they were still there and realised I can't send them as I've forgotten my password.

I also have no record of my Seed so restoring isn't really an option.

My password was something basic IIRC, like Molly88 or Queen99 so is there any brute force app that can try and guess this? If not does that mean the BTC is gone for good?

Thanks

Have you tried search engines and Github. You should check Github.com to see if there is anything that can help you. All of the programs are open source so be careful when downloading. You can view the source files before downloading so you may be able to check for viruses. Try to find something in a programming lanugage you can understand or find the easiest to analyse quickly.

Ignore this now. Seems someone has found what you may be looking for while i was typing.
AbeTheCat (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:09:57 PM

Thanks @Shorena, I keep getting...

Last login: Sat Nov  7 22:09:31 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro:~ Liam$ /Users/Liam/Downloads/btcrecover-master/btcrecover.py ; exit;
btcrecover.py: error: argument --tokenlist or --passwordlist is required (or file btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt must be present)
logout
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 10:19:28 PM

Thanks @Shorena, I keep getting...

Last login: Sat Nov  7 22:09:31 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro:~ Liam$ /Users/Liam/Downloads/btcrecover-master/btcrecover.py ; exit;
btcrecover.py: error: argument --tokenlist or --passwordlist is required (or file btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt must be present)
logout

You need to create a token file[1] E.g. if you know the password is a first name from Harry Potter followed by 2 numbers you would create a file like:

Code:
Bathsheda Ludo Bathilda Katie Harry Cuthbert Phineascurrent Regulus Sirius Amelia Susan Terry Lavender Millicent Charity Frank
+ %2d$

The names are all on the same line so only one gets used per try.

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file

AbeTheCat (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:39:39 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply @shorena, I get that and I have done, only i'm receiving "no such file" when its in the same directory and unzipped? :S

Screenshot of directory...

http://s23.postimg.org/wc6p0xqkb/Screen_Shot_2015_11_07_at_10_41_49_PM.png
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 11:51:14 PM

What exactly are you entering? The below example works fine for me.

Code:
>python btcrecover.py --wallet example_wallet_file.dat --token tokens_4_example.txt

AbeTheCat (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:16:30 AM

http://s29.postimg.org/5qf35xr6f/Screen_Shot_2015_11_08_at_11_14_41_AM.png

I've tried typing it as you suggested, dragging and dropping the file into the terminal window also, no luck :S

AbeTheCat (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:30:50 AM

Ahh thanks@nerioseole, I now get this - which i guess 'done' means it didn't find anything?

btcrecover.py: warning: can't find PyCrypto, using aespython instead
Counting passwords ...
Done                                                                         

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 11:51:46 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2015, 12:03:52 PM by shorena

Ahh thanks@nerioseole, I now get this - which i guess 'done' means it didn't find anything?

Counting passwords ...
Done                                                                          

That does not look right.

this is what it looks like to me when it finds the password:

Code:
>python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet_abc123def_.dat --token tokens_abc123def_.txt
Using 4 worker threads
34 of 130 [###########---------------------------------] 0:00:01, ETA:  0:00:05
Password found: 'abc123def'

and this when not:

Code:
>python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet_abc123def_.dat --token tokens_abc123def_.txt
Using 4 worker threads
130 of 130 [########################################################] 0:00:06,
Password search exhausted

The wallet file user above is from bitcoin core, but the output is the same for other wallet files as well.

Edit:

Yes electrum looks the same (well its faster...):
Code:
>python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet_abc123def_electrum.dat --token tokens_abc123def_hard.txt
Using 4 worker threads
25215 of 676000 [#-------------------------------------] 0:00:00, ETA:  0:00:03
Password found: 'abc123def'

Code:
>python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet_abc123def_electrum.dat --token tokens_abc123def_hard.txt
Using 4 worker threads
676 of 676 [########################################################] 0:00:00,

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 12:19:03 PM

I never used this program, but just did, and agree with you... I got this
Code:
python btcrecover.py --wallet /Users/XXX/.electrum/wallets/mywallet --token recover.txt
Using 2 worker threads
0 of 1 [---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 0:00:00, ETA:  --:--:--
Password found:

I am on Mac also - like he is.

and this when not successful:

Code:
python btcrecover.py --wallet /Users/XXX/.electrum/wallets/mywallet --token recover.txt
Using 2 worker threads
1 of 1 [#############################################################################################################################################################################] 0:00:00,

... oh well - newbies... follow the instructions the next time!

Its a bit complicated, so it might be difficult to follow the instructions. I know I had trouble getting the GPU to work properly and I wouldnt consider myself a newbie.

I assume you removed your password in the above because you ran it against the wallet file you normally use.

I usually just use empty wallets for testing and copy them into the same folder as the python script and the token file.

@AbeTheCat If you want I can give it a try. Mail is shor3na@gmail.com, PGP key has the fingerprint 4E32 814C 98C2 B12E C473 228B 940A 17DB BD6B 68E2 if you want to encrypt the data with PGP. You can also use other common tools for encryption (zip, rar, etc.) with a password and send the password via PM. I will be out for a hours soon though, so I will not be able to get to it right away. Consider it a last resort option though, its always better to do it yourself.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 04:49:32 PM

Probably Easy to find for more than £2 million in a small landfill site.
AbeTheCat (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 01:20:05 PM

Thanks for all your input everyone I appreciate it.

Yes I'm a complete newbie to it all @nerioseole and in hindsight should have paid more attention to what I was doing when setting up electrum though I agree something should be put in place to improve the user experience and prevent others like myself from cocking up - it's so easy to skip past things when you're eager and before you know it you're in the proverbial...

I may take you up on the offer if I cant suss it tongiht @shorena, thankyou

Liam
AbeTheCat (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 08:51:11 PM

Weird thing happened tonight, I've been thinking hard and I tried an old password - I clicked the seed button on electrum in the bottom right hand corner then entered what I believed could be the password and electrum didnt say incorrect password like it usually does, instead it shown me the below window...

http://s18.postimg.org/mnflqty2x/Screen_Shot_2015_11_11_at_8_48_38_PM.png

Does this mean my password is close? If I try to change my password however it says the password is wrong, so why does it let me see the above?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 09:32:24 PM

Weird thing happened tonight, I've been thinking hard and I tried an old password - I clicked the seed button on electrum in the bottom right hand corner then entered what I believed could be the password and electrum didnt say incorrect password like it usually does, instead it shown me the below window...

Does this mean my password is close? If I try to change my password however it says the password is wrong, so why does it let me see the above?

that's a bug in an old version of Electrum; in some occasions, instead of saying 'incorrect password', it displayed an empty seed phrase.
it does not mean that your password is close. all it means is that you are running an outdated version.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
AbeTheCat (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 04:08:25 PM

Booo, so it doesn't mean im getting close? Sad
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 05:40:50 PM

Booo, so it doesn't mean im getting close? Sad
Unfortunately Electrum can't know if you are getting close.
In order to do that it would need to know the password in clear text before you enter it (e.g. by saving it to your drive).
That would be a security issue.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: