Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:25:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a waste of time mentioning Bitcoin to friends and family?  (Read 14645 times)
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 10:18:03 AM

I have considered telling my family and some of my friends about Bitcoin but whenever I've tried, they fail to understand why it does have value and why it is extremely important specially in the current socioeconomic context.. they don't get it and see it as something really strange. Needless to say I wouldn't tell them to put any money on it. In a way it feels like im keeping something amazing to myself, but at the same time, I don't want to put people into the pressure of holding through rallies long term because most people aren't cut for that.

How to introduce Bitcoin to absolutely clueless people and is there even a point? Should we just let time pass and wait for them to naturally learn about it once it goes more mainstream?

The part in bold ca be partially right, according to me, if the people seems to not be interested to know or have to do with bitcoin. Push over some limits give the opposite effect. So better let things go on their way. Anyhow there are behaviors that can be made indirectly and that can give inputs about bitcoin to everyone. For example one of these can be the told of various curiosity which have to do with bitcoin. There are several of those that can be read in various online sites. Speak about those as a curiosity and not as something related with bitcoin can make the people interested even for the subject of the curiosity. One of them for example may be the register of the name of new born baby at the blockchain from the father. This is a very strange thing that can attract the attention of most people and make them curious how is possible this. So here it is the open road to speak about bitcoin and make the other part interested about it. If possible and if the attraction is in the needed "amount".
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 02:15:15 PM

I don't really bother anymore. The few people I mentioned it too looked at me like I had invested in a floppy disk manufacturer.

hahahahahah man I gave some dogecoin wallets to my brothers, they were never used....On the other hand, one of my friends work at Cisco, and he didnt really care for btc, didnt understand really, but now hes really interested in the blockchain and all that, so thats good.  it takes time.
Day2Day

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 03:24:55 PM

Friends - mentioned it on some friends, two got interested and now involving themselves in bitcoin.

Family - my brother started noticing that I always buy new things for myself such as a new phone for me and my girl but he doesn't see any cash on me. He found out about my bitcoins and started gaining interest on it. Even my parents want to know more about it after I mentioned how much my hodlings are worth in our currency.

In my experience, to get people interested: hand some major news about bitcoin and show them the current exchange rate on your own currency. You'll see that it will get them hooked. Wink
umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 03:46:23 PM

I do not think it is a waste of time. It might be a hit and miss but I think it is important to give bitcoin as much exposure as possible.

It is not a waste of time if the information is delivered in proper way, and I feel if your friends and family likes innovative ideas then they would definitely try new things, and for them bitcoins is new so basically depends on how they view at the new technology and ready to accept it or not in the long run.
dre1982

Activity: 770
Merit: 284

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 03:58:07 PM

I think any word of mouth is good even to anyone including family and friends. Free publicity is good publicity.

But most people just don't understand how it works. I also tried to mentioning Bitcon to friends. The already started about that's just for illegal stuff and that kind of nonsense. The technical part is even harder to explain.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 06:04:29 PM

I do not think it is a waste of time. It might be a hit and miss but I think it is important to give bitcoin as much exposure as possible.

It is not a waste of time if the information is delivered in proper way, and I feel if your friends and family likes innovative ideas then they would definitely try new things, and for them bitcoins is new so basically depends on how they view at the new technology and ready to accept it or not in the long run.

Yes we need to approach in a friendly and proper way. I was successful in my last 5 attempts out of 7. This was possible only when I start with faucets. Even before knowing what is bitcoin, most of my friends owned some satoshis. I believe I can spread bitcoin ecosystem to more people this way.
mixan
Legendary

Activity: 966

TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 06:08:33 PM

Yes we need to approach in a friendly and proper way. I was successful in my last 5 attempts out of 7. This was possible only when I start with faucets. Even before knowing what is bitcoin, most of my friends owned some satoshis. I believe I can spread bitcoin ecosystem to more people this way.
I think this is the key to get the ball rolling towards other people.
Having some satoshis in hand gets them questioning what they do with it and then they start to explore what they can do with it. Then the next stage would be them wanting to find out more about it once they find out what it's real potential is.

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
cryptothreads

Activity: 1274
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 06:37:05 PM

I think it doesn't have to be a waste of time. I pretty much know who I can approach and who I shouldn't approach. Usually it goes well.
JITENDERPAR2

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 06:40:16 PM

i think to explaining the persons about the bitcoins is totally waste of until they wants to understand .
i had also explained many persons within few days .
but i was failed to explain my brother and cousin about bitcoins as they don't want understand about it but i had insisted to know about it and its value in the future but that was totally waste of my time.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 10:02:59 PM

I own a restaurant ,but the most clients that comes here usually around 30 years and above it,soo try to say hey i accept bitcoin to them may lead me into some problems as they for sure doesnt know what it is,i will be using a pin or something with the symbol of bitcoin and im sure some people will ask about it,i had thinked to make a tatoo but that well its too much,but would impact who see and the curiosity.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 10:13:24 PM

I own a restaurant ,but the most clients that comes here usually around 30 years and above it,soo try to say hey i accept bitcoin to them may lead me into some problems as they for sure doesnt know what it is,i will be using a pin or something with the symbol of bitcoin and im sure some people will ask about it,i had thinked to make a tatoo but that well its too much,but would impact who see and the curiosity.

In what country is your restaurant located, if I may ask? 30 years and above is an age that allows people to think correctly about their money and future savings. I am sure these people will be interested if they know exactly what Bitcoin is and what it does.

You can also create a custom Bitcoin related sticker that you can stick on your front window with nice big letters that will draw attention of customers and others.

Something like this for example:

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 10:20:44 PM

Stickers as previous user has suggested are surely a way to go. And don't be to pushy. Let them see the sticker and approach you, by themselves. This is a slow battle that we are fighting here, but we are also slowly winning.

I am sure that as years pass by, you will have more and more interest in paying with bitcoins in your restaurant!
umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 11:36:25 PM

I think this is the key to get the ball rolling towards other people.
Having some satoshis in hand gets them questioning what they do with it and then they start to explore what they can do with it. Then the next stage would be them wanting to find out more about it once they find out what it's real potential is.

And once they are aware about the benefits attached with bitcoins I am damn sure that would definitely take next step to know it better and try to have real experience with bitcoins, the attractive nature of bitcoins would definitely help people in building trust on bitcoins.
stromma44

Activity: 952

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 01:23:52 AM

i think to explaining the persons about the bitcoins is totally waste of until they wants to understand .
i had also explained many persons within few days .
but i was failed to explain my brother and cousin about bitcoins as they don't want understand about it but i had insisted to know about it and its value in the future but that was totally waste of my time.

They would not be having faith in crypto currencies or rather they would prefer going with fiat currency, and whether people around us starts using bitcoins or not totally depends on the scenario in that particular country, if no one have heard about bitcoins it would be really difficult to explain them about it.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 02:18:15 AM

Yes it is unless they have a demand for it.

If you family is just casual people, they wont find bitcoin useful at all. Wait until the economy gets worse, and then everybody will beg to you to teach them about bitcoin.

ashly

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 02:20:27 AM

Definitely no, because its helps you to get money
enthus

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 02:32:31 AM

i do not think so, i think it may fascinate some but confuse other, but overall it is good to plant the seed in people mind about bitcoin Smiley it may lead to good things!
Proxiebuier

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 03:04:32 AM

No this is not waste my time
introducing bitcoin is 1 way to help bitcoin comunity stronger

more people invited, more people joined, more stronger comunity and more future
ivan19

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 03:19:26 AM

It wouldn't hurt to mention it to them,I have to my friends and they wanted to jump aboard when I mentioned silkroad 1.0,but loss interest when it went down.
margarete11

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 03:26:29 AM

For me yes because when I tell them about bitcoin they just ignore or laugh at me Sad
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: