Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:09:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a waste of time mentioning Bitcoin to friends and family?  (Read 14645 times)
MissionPhailed

Activity: 583
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 06:32:10 PM

I've mentioned it to family on several occasions. They seemed somewhat interested but fear they could lose any invested money very quickly. Gotta say they have a point as the price of Bitcoin can be extremely volatile and last but not least, there's always the chance a major exchange simply 'runs away' with all the money/crypto (Mt.Gox). They're rather conservative about it and I've got to admit I'm still somewhat reserved too about this phenomenom, though I find it interesting enough to actually own some crypto.

I got introduced to crypto by a friend who was already mining Bitcoin in 2011. He once had 75 Bitcoin, now 3 or so and some Alts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deon

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2015, 06:45:30 PM

I don't talk about it with family.  I do with my friends that like tech stuff too.   I don't tell people to invest though,  I don't tell people to invest in anything anymore,  If the price goes down they will hate you.

I talk about bitcoin, Just as a small hobby for web and app development ideas.
defaultking

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2015, 07:06:08 PM

If you or your family has amazon prime they can watch the rise and rise of bitcoin for free. It may introduce them to bitcoin. With that said I haven't talked to any of my friends or family about it for the fact that I think it would be a waste of time. Most of my family doesn't even invest in stocks due to the "volatility" of the stock market. I've brought up bitcoins with my friends briefly in discussion and most of them gave me blanks stares.

Maybe one day they'll take more interest, but for the most part they could care less.
BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:06:57 PM

It is only a waste of time if you don't know how to explain. I believe that we need to help Bitcoin going mainstream by being a Bitcoin evangelist. The familly of course will be the first to be evangelized...
Digit-0

Activity: 199

in the end, you only find the beginning

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:14:57 PM

I talk frequently with friends and family about bitcoin, I like to blow people's mind. Smiley

And I always advise not to buy, usually that's not even a problem because they are not tech savvy enough to do it...

I think that this is a really good point, i did always the same, just becuase ( and i dont know why )  people tends to think about news things like scams or ponzi, so i always strat with that premise Tongue

Btw about the main question,ofc that is not a wasted of time also i recommend to talk with them about it, because something that could be good for you, maybe could be good for them, yes?
Kozlov

Activity: 212

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:17:15 PM

I talk frequently with friends and family about bitcoin, I like to blow people's mind. Smiley

And I always advise not to buy, usually that's not even a problem because they are not tech savvy enough to do it...

I think that this is a really good point, i did always the same, just becuase ( and i dont know why )  people tends to think about news things like scams or ponzi, so i always strat with that premise Tongue

Btw about the main question,ofc that is not a wasted of time also i recommend to talk with them about it, because something that could be good for you, maybe could be good for them, yes?

Yet people will constantly tell users of lotteries/faucets to 'buy' Bitcoin with their fiat. Why do that when the first miners got their BTC for sweet FA? That's the allure of BTC - the fact it has essentially pulled value from thin air.

Not exactly thin air, but people might as well think of it like that.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:17:34 PM

I've mentioned it to family on several occasions. They seemed somewhat interested but fear they could lose any invested money very quickly. Gotta say they have a point as the price of Bitcoin can be extremely volatile and last but not least, there's always the chance a major exchange simply 'runs away' with all the money/crypto (Mt.Gox). They're rather conservative about it and I've got to admit I'm still somewhat reserved too about this phenomenom, though I find it interesting enough to actually own some crypto.

I got introduced to crypto by a friend who was already mining Bitcoin in 2011. He once had 75 Bitcoin, now 3 or so and some Alts.

Damn, your friend has really made some "great" investment decisions then. If that's true, that is a lot of bitcoins to lose.

Then again when you see number of scams in this space, anything is possible!
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:36:08 PM

No, I'm doing it quite often, and it's definitely useful. I'm talking about what BTC can do, and most people hearing me seem quite interested. Older people are harder to convince though. When I say I've invested more than 1,000 €, they think I took a lot of risk.

It's useful talking about it. After that, if people hear something about BTC in the news, they'll think they know someone who uses it.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2015, 08:00:28 PM

You can't force people to agree with you, but there's no harm in explaining to them how it works and why you (and others) believe it's valuable and useful. It can be hard for people to see the need to go through more effort to pay for goods and  services that they can pay for easily with fiat.

Maybe you could pay for something with Bitcoin when you're out with these family members so they can see how familiar it really is, how easy it is, etc.

knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 09:59:27 PM

Well i have a friend ,we had thinked to mine bitcoins ,but we stopped as the investment were huge for the both.Then i find this forum were getting more information about bitcoin,then i saw someone saying that get paid to post i had joined.My wife considered that i waste my time on internet even when i said i were earning money,in the case bitcoins,she said yes sure as always... i had sold some btc to fiat and show her what i were talking about and she said wow not bad since before you invest and loose ,or you earn 2 dollars montly ,and clicking 2 hours a days to such thing.Later she talked to her brother and girlfriend and another friend ,soo the thing is we must show that bitcoin has value is possible convert into fiat,or buy something with it.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 10:20:19 PM

It is not a waste of time. It takes a while but in the end most people get interested in buying some coins.

Actually got my parents and grandparents to buy a coin, just in case it really goes boom.
sana9821

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 10:28:11 PM

i doubt it i told my one friend about bitcoins like two weeks ago or so and he was really into it now he is using it a lot and he is happy about it

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 10:28:28 PM

I am more than happy to share everything I know about Bitcoin with family and friends. I have done it already and will continue doing so as long as I support Bitcoin. If 10% of the people I tell about Bitcoin will actually use it in whatever way, I am satisfied already. Spread it Smiley
croato

Activity: 616

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 10:52:56 PM

I think introducing Bitcoin to family and friends is best marketing Bitcoin can get. I got in to Bitcoin when one of my close friends show me what it is back in 2013, and i have lot of ppl close to me introduced to Bitcoin so they use it now.
MissionPhailed

Activity: 583
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 11:13:18 PM

Damn, your friend has really made some "great" investment decisions then. If that's true, that is a lot of bitcoins to lose.

Then again when you see number of scams in this space, anything is possible!

Well, he sold around 65 BTC during the april 2013 bubble and roughly 10 in the final weeks of 2013. During 2014 and 2015 he bought again on a smaller scale. His profits were large enough to buy a small car and pay off a portion of his mortgage, though he somewhat regrets that the majority of his coins are now sold.
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 09:02:26 PM

Regrets?He had made a good return from the coins ,some users had made their life better from bitcoin,a small group,and others are  getting bitcoin and able to do things that they could do with the extra income from bitcoins.I hope someday at my city people know it and able to use it to pay,i dont see now people here knowing what it is and for what.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:02:01 AM

my brother is probably the most interested family member regarding btc. he is a far left libertarian, conspiracy theorist dope smoking nutcase who has over 100k worth of silver bars buried... somewhere...

i kid you not. he's all 911 was an inside job and everything. i know for a fact he has all that silver too, ive seen it when he bought it (yeah he bought most of it all at once... i didn't say he was smart) i have no idea where he buried it, but i do know he has guns, so i wouldn't go snooping.

anyway, when i first got into btc he was the only person in my family who would have any sort of discussion with me about it. he wanted me to buy him ONE (1) btc and store it for him....

I basically told him that that is not what btc is about. i could store his btc, but i wont because HE should be HIS OWN BANK. I pointed him at all the relevant info (here, bitcoin.com, bitcoin wiki) and told him to read up and educate himself

a month later he comes to me and says hes got it all under control, but is a little leary of the exchanges. too much ID required plus it was just after gox.

I was gifted 0.25 btc years ago when i first joined this forum by a very generous user, so i paid it forward and sent my bro 0.25 btc.

the next time i talked to him, a week later, he had already forgotton his wallet, where it was, what his password was and where he put his private key.

fuckin idiot threw 0.25 btc down the toilet.

NEVAR AGAIN
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:05:50 AM

On principle I try not to mention it to anyone. If asked I'd say it's an interesting medium of exchange, and an even more interesting anarcho-capitalist adventure in getting rekt.

Don't try this at home, kids.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Arcteryx

Activity: 728

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 01:21:53 AM

On principle I try not to mention it to anyone. If asked I'd say it's an interesting medium of exchange, and an even more interesting anarcho-capitalist adventure in getting rekt.

Don't try this at home, kids.
Keepin' them away with fear always works.
Or beatin' them over the head with intellectual jargon works just as well  Wink

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 03:54:04 AM

I only got one person to get semi interested in it.  He only likes the trading part of it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████