Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:12:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtualminer 3.0 - The Virtual mining game  (Read 3663 times)
Nachtwind (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:18:59 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 07:07:25 PM by Nachtwind

What is it about?

„Virtual Mining“ is a game unlike any other currently found in the BTC community. In contrast to most other games VM is neither a gambling site, nor a Ponzi scheme to give most money to only a handful of people. In VM every user has the chance to make the same amount of money, no pyramid anywhere.
So in just a few words – what is VM?
As the name says: Virtual Mining is virtual mining.
It seemed to become sort of a trend to spawn new forks for fast pump and dump. This lead to some serious opportunities to make money but It always had an impact on the BTC network since it had drawn computing power away from the real network. Also most of the chains were rather short lived. So this game is meant to put this on a different level. In VM you are meant to create virtual rigs and point them on virtual forks, here called “chains” (short for Blockchains). As of now there will be up to 5 parallel chains around and everyone can mine with as many virtual rigs on those.
As in real BitCoin you earn coins from mining which can be traded for Bitcoins on the site’s exchange. Therefore this game is basically a virtual *Coin network.

So what are the rules?
Currently the game is running in a testing phase – therefore all of the rules are negotiable, except the one about cheating

-   Every user may “Buy” as many mainboard, virtual asics and other hardware components as he wants.
  o   A mainboard has a fixed number of card slots
  o   A virtual ASIC cannot be upgraded with vGPUs nor does it need a mainboard to be attached to
  o   vGPUs and vASICs speeds are taken from real life values where possible
  o   The amount of Devices available is limited depending on the devices real life availability (a 6990 is less available than a 6850)
  o   Users are able to sell their devices on the "flea market"

-   Users can create new Chains
  o   There can be a maximum 20 parallel active chains
    x   A chain is flagged inactive after 24 hrs. if no one is mining it anymore
    x   A chain is deactivated (unminable, 48hrs after flagging inactive)
    x   Every new chain costs 0.125BTC for every Chain already in existence. The first one is free, the 2nd costs 0.125, the third 0.25 and so on..

-   Users can create Pools
  o As of now pools are unlimited in size
  o A pools founder can set any fee he wants as long as it is less than 25% (to prevent cheating).
  o The chain a pool is mining can be set at any time.
  o Pools always pay proportional
  o Users NOT on a pool mine SOLO

-   Deposits are handled with a unique address every time.
  o A deposit is “valid” and added to the account after 4 confirmations.
  o There is a small fee of 0.01BTC on withdrawal. This is to keep the server alive and cover transfer costs.

-   “Cheating”
  o   “In theory, as the service operator, I could keep the bitcoins for myself. I'm not going to do this, but I completely accept that people do not trust the service operator. It is their freedom of choice, and Bitcoin is about freedom.” (slush)

Screenshots:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:20:08 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2012, 12:12:35 PM by Nachtwind

[reserved]
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 09:22:05 PM

Hi,
Some things just need their time and so did Version 3 of Virtualminer. To be honest - it took far longer than i wanted it to. I restarted the whole thing four times, each time starting from scratch. There are a lot of changes and i want to go into detail a bit more in this newsletter.

- Rigs
Since all of you have been familiar with the original system i need to give some introduction into the newest version. As of now you only were allowed to upgrade some Rig with a few upgrades. No turning back, no real.. variability. Most of the users just added 1000mh upgrades to each slot and thats it. Looking at the database i saw a lot of rigs looking equal. This was to be expected but well.. it wasnt realistic. Not all of use the same rig at home - so why should we do this in virtualminer? The new system aims at some more realism. As of now there are multiple Mainboards (with various slots for rigs). I had to make a tradeoff between realism and compatibility here. So dont be suprised to find mainboards with 9 card slots Wink
So rigs have to consist of a mainboard and a virtual GPU - one of a dozen now available vGPUs that try to mimic the ones you find in real life. I have just taken the information from the bitcoin hardware comparision wiki page and translated it into game values.
To counter the possibility that everyone just buys the fastest possible VMD vGPU those GPUs in the 'Shop' have limited supply... but you can use that to add yet another way of earning real BTC through this game: Users can now sell their equipment! And rare hashing devices can therefore be seen as some new commodety..
Converted Rigs and GPUs from previous versions will be 10x slower now (so a 5000vMH is now a 500vMH) - but since this affects every rig the 'loss' happens to everyone and is just an adjustment i had to make for the transition into the new system.

- Chains
Chains didnt change at all except that chain owners can now choose wether their chain is vASIC compatible or not. Therefore i'd like to ask Chaincreators of existing chains wether they allow vASICs or not.

- Exchange
The exchange is all new and all shiny.. it is based on Virtualminer's sister project altcoinexchange.com (which is in hibernation at the moment). You will now be able to trade every coin into any other - or into BTC. Whatever you want.

- GUI
The 'ingame GUI' is gone (as of now) but it will eventually be implemented again. It didnt serve any purpose anymore but since it was just nice to have it, it will come again.. someday when i dont have higher priority features to add.

- Shares
Since the old System was faulty i have completely removed it and consider it a feature to be added in the near future. Most probably the shares will be traded through the normal Exchange like any other coin. But until then i gonna test a few things.

- DOWNTIME
Yes.. there will be a downtime. After this E-mail is sent i will take down Version II and start to convert users, chains, coins.. everything into the new system. SInce you can imagine that this is not a simple copy&paste-procedure.. A lot of stuff has to be converted and rewritten - and that will take time. Once the conversion process is done i will take a snapshop of the database and let the game run for a few hours in production state. If by then nothing happened i will start reopen the game for the public (followed by another newsletter..).

So much for the V3 update. See you when the game is back up again.

Cheers,
Nachtwind
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 08:57:40 AM

Upgrade and Database conversion ran smooth.. doing a shakedown now.
The game should be playable. So - just come in and try it.
danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 02:19:36 PM

Doesn't let me register.  Gives a fatal error.

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:10:28 PM

Typo in the registration function. Sorry.

It's fixed now.
danieldaniel

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:12:19 PM

It's fixed now.
Also, I figured out I had an account already.  When I try and assign a rig to a chain (I put a single in it), it says I don't own that part.

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:19:47 PM

It's fixed now.
Also, I figured out I had an account already.  When I try and assign a rig to a chain (I put a single in it), it says I don't own that part.

Now thats what i call a shakedown ><
There are some more things broken on the new server.. gonna fix a few things.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:31:54 PM

Ok.. the Rig code is ok now.
Just a typo in a last minute code snippet in various functions that have to do with rig managment.
danieldaniel

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 05:19:09 PM

Just a typo in a last minute code snippet in various functions that have to do with rig managment.
Seem to be making a lot of typos Smiley

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 05:24:49 PM

Well, call it copy&paste errors.
I have the bad habit of calling a lot of variables more or less the same:

(e.g)
rig id = rid
part id = pid
rig array = rig

And i have some functions to check ownership of parts, rigs etc (so noone can create a rig of an other users parts) and then copy paste it arround but leave the variable names as they are Wink
danieldaniel

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 06:09:00 PM

Well, call it copy&paste errors.
I have the bad habit of calling a lot of variables more or less the same:

(e.g)
rig id = rid
part id = pid
rig array = rig

And i have some functions to check ownership of parts, rigs etc (so noone can create a rig of an other users parts) and then copy paste it arround but leave the variable names as they are Wink

Oh, I know what you mean.  I do that sometimes.

Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 10:24:53 PM

Added a function to reset the password in case you lost it.
Tomorrow morning i will put the final touches on the game and consider it "stable" if nothing happens throughout the night. Prepare for yet another newsletter (sorry) Wink
danieldaniel

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 10:30:31 PM

Tomorrow morning i will put the final touches on the game and consider it "stable" if nothing happens throughout the night. Prepare for yet another newsletter (sorry) Wink
Can you put a change password function?

Digigami

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 03:12:51 AM

Is your deposit system broken? Just past 6 confirmations and it's still not showing up in my game balance sheet.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 08:16:30 AM

Can you put a change password function?

Good idea, going to add that today.

Is your deposit system broken? Just past 6 confirmations and it's still not showing up in my game balance sheet.
I have no idea why but the cronjob stopped running. I have just resumed it (and your BTC have arrived). Since i want to get away from cron anyway this is no big deal - i am changing the deposit-scrypt now anyway.
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 02:15:12 PM

Added a (small) page for managing the user's profile. At the moment all you can do is changing your password though.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 03:38:09 PM

Just registered and took a look. Idk if I'm going to play it at all, but for most sure I'll give it a try.

First question before starting:
The costs fo the rig parts are BTC based?

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Nachtwind (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 03:41:17 PM

yes.
Digigami

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 05:44:36 PM

Is the exchange in a disabled state?

I am getting this error when trying to post a sale offer, seems to not matter which coins I am trying to use..

Code:
Notice: Undefined index: action in /home/virtualminer/public_html/posts.php on line 33 Notice: Undefined index: is_ajax in /home/virtualminer/public_html/addOrder.php on line 6
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: