Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:13:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Have you claimed Crypto Coin earnings on your tax return ?
Yes - 5 (41.7%)
No - 7 (58.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Do tax rules apply when digital currency is used?  (Read 1605 times)
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 02:38:56 AM

So vote on my Poll thanks (i'm just curious)

I know in Canada you are suppose to pay taxes on coins.
No idea about other countries though.
Does your country have a Tax law for crypto ?

Here is some Canada related references.

(CBC.ca) Bitcoins aren't tax exempt, Revenue Canada says

(Coindesk) Canada Revenue Agency says tax rules apply to bitcoin

Following Link Quoted below from the CAN Govt.
(Revenue Canada) What you should know about digital currency

What you should know about digital currency

What is digital currency?

Digital currency is virtual money that can be used to buy and sell goods or services on the Internet. Bitcoins are an example of digital currency. Bitcoins are not controlled by central banks or any country, and can be traded anonymously. Bitcoins can be bought and sold in return for traditional currency, and can also be transferred from one person to another.

Do tax rules apply when digital currency is used?

Yes. Where digital currency is used to pay for goods or services, the rules for barter transactions apply. A barter transaction occurs when any two persons agree to exchange goods or services and carry out that exchange without using legal currency. For example, paying for movies with digital currency is a barter transaction. The value of the movies purchased using digital currency must be included in the seller’s income for tax purposes. The amount to be included would be the value of the movies in Canadian dollars.

More information on the tax implications of barter transactions is available by consulting the Canada Revenue Agency’s Interpretation Bulletin IT-490, Barter Transactions.

Digital currency can also be bought or sold like a commodity. Any resulting gains or losses could be taxable income or capital for the taxpayer. Paragraphs 9 to 32 of Interpretation Bulletin IT-479R, Transactions in Securities, provide information that can help in determining whether transactions are income or capital in nature.

Should I be concerned about reporting requirements when using digital currency?

Not reporting income from domestic or foreign sources is illegal. Canadians should know that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is very active in pursuing cases of non-compliance, in order to ensure that the tax system remains fair for everyone.

If required, you should take this opportunity to correct your tax affairs through the CRA’s Voluntary Disclosures Program. For more information, go to www.cra.gc.ca/voluntarydisclosures.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:34:46 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2015, 06:29:06 AM by ArticMine

Yes it is taxable. Tell me about it. I voted yes by the way.

Mining is basically income. Disposition (sale) can be taxed as capital gains or income depending on the circumstances. Also when digital currency is used to buy goods or services there can be a capital loss or gain that needs to be reported.

Edit: The above is for Canada

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2015, 07:14:04 AM

Yes

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 08:11:00 AM

I have to admit i have not and i am surprised anyone has (claimed it on their tax return)
But i pretty much heard about my tax guidelines as i quit doing this stuff (trading)
So i don't know if i am potentially liable / in trouble possibly for not making claims.
If they came knocking at my door that would be my excuse anyway LOL

EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 02:23:01 PM

Yeah, I pay taxes on my crypto earnings.
I was already working freelance when I got into crypto, so for me the step to declaring crypto income and paying taxes on it wasn't all that hard.
(well, apart from actually paying the blasted taxman.....)

The Dutch authorities are pretty keen on people paying taxes, for some strange reason, but they are pretty pragmatic about crypto: if you convert crypto to fiat, and that turns up on your bank account, they want a cut.
Fair enough policy, I guess.....and I like living here, so giving up some cash to the NL government doesn't feel too painful.
If I still lived in the UK, I'd be a lot less co-operative. Shocked

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 02:34:14 PM

I have to admit i have not and i am surprised anyone has (claimed it on their tax return)
But i pretty much heard about my tax guidelines as i quit doing this stuff (trading)
So i don't know if i am potentially liable / in trouble possibly for not making claims.

I would suggest talking with a tax professional and making peace with the CRA.

Edit: I am not a tax professional, My take: You are liable and your excuse will not work.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
shanem
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 02:59:47 PM

I don't know about Canada but for my country it is not taxable as there is no tax for capital gains so any profit earned is all of yours to be kept.

█           
           ██           
          ██████         
         ████████         
        ██████████       
       ████████████       
      ██████████████     
     ████████████████     
    ██████████████████   
   ████████████████████   
  ██████████▀▀██████████ 
 ███▀▄████▀    ▀████▄▀███
██▀ ▄██▀▀        ▀▀██▄ ▀██

░▄███████████▄░░░▄███████████▄░░▄███▄░░░░░░▄███▄░░▄██████████▄░░░████████████████░░░░██████████░░░░███████████████░░█████████████████
█████░░░░░░░███░████▀░░░░░▀████░█████▄░░░░▄█████░███▀░░░░░░▀███░███░░░░████░░░███░░███░░░░░░░░██░░███░░░░░░░░░░░███░███████░░░░██████
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████░▀█████▄░░▄█████▀░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░████░░███░░░███░░░██░░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░████░░▀█████░░█████▀░░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░███░░░███░░░███░░████░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░█████░░░▀████▄▄████▀░░░███▄░░░░░░▄███░███░░░░███░░███░░░░██░░░████░░███░███░░░░░░░░░░███▀░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░▀████████▀░░░░████████████▀░░███░░░░░░░░░███░░░███░░░████░░░██░███░░░█████████░░░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████▄░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░███░░░███░░██░░░░░░░░░░░██░███░░░░░░░░░░███▄░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░███░██░░░░████░░░░█░███░░░█████▄░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
███████████████░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░░██░██░░░██████░░░█░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
░▀███████████▀░░░███░░░░░░░████░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░████████████████░███████████████░░███████████████░░░░░░█████████░░░░
|
▂▃▅ Quick buy and sell bitcoins online. Fast and secure ▅▃▂
Facebook】【Twitter】【Telegram】【Medium】【Instagram
|
edmundduke
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:07:27 PM

Really interesting subject actually, havent really thought about it. As far as i know it is not taxed yet here where i live but it could happen any moment (if it hasn't already). Would be really interesting to see if you could claim back some of it from the tax.
Best would be if they pay it back in Bitcoin
dloghwak

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:36:03 PM

Hilarious. Spams all day, how everyone else in the altcoin business is a scammer and at the end of the day evades taxes himself.
To stay ontopic, of course I pay tax on crypto income, better to not fuck with .gov.
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 11:30:50 PM

@dloghwak
Thanks for your contribution and have a nice day.

Interesting talk from you guys i did not expect much of a response here.
Or that so many of you would vote 'Yes'

Maybe i am liable for some back taxes or something but i have to admit my credit rating is horrendous.
But Revenue Canada is the guy that i have always paid in full so..
I've always paid my taxes and had to pay some hefty bills before too.

But i am pretty sure i made some profit with coins before i see those guidelines waaay back on Coindesk.
SO i can't see how i can be in trouble for tax earnings before the law was in effect.
I guess i will wait for someone to rat me out LOL
Wouldn't surprise me i am stalked and threatened here non stop.
And i couldn't care less either  Cool

edit:
I probably opened the door for trolling on me here then gave them ideas with this comment.
ahh well i don't care if little douche bags wanna hunt me.. go for it Wink

Dorrittulx

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 11:35:45 PM

They shouldn't. I hope they don't. We need freedom. Of course, countries will try to support taxes and enforce them, but it's mostly impossible for the most part...
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:59:15 AM

If anyone has a reference for there country about tax laws let me know i will add it to the first post.

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:41:04 AM

They shouldn't. I hope they don't. We need freedom. Of course, countries will try to support taxes and enforce them, but it's mostly impossible for the most part...

Income tax collection for the most part relies on voluntary compliance and information provided by disgruntled fomer partners, business partners, competitors, spouses, neighbours, employees etc. In the 1960s the top marginal tax rates were in the high 90th percentile in many western countries. At the same time most transactions were anonymous cash. It is a myth that one needs to track every transaction in order to collect income taxes.

Edit: History has proven that income tax collection is perfectly compatible with financial freedom.

intristin

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Digital Credits

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 05:38:05 PM

It's considered a commodity in the US, so you have to pay capital gains tax, no idea how that would be enforced however. 

BTC : 1mGWN5sXaTrWcfDt7zwq4o6R2LiJKKFGH | DGCS : DU1U2ocTUodyHJTgBLBMfSprjquFCUraf8
Digital Credits : http://dcredits.com
1aguar

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 05:46:07 PM

It is NOT taxed if
1) you do not tell the authorities
2) you do not have your name connected to the addresses

My friend asked his tax accountant; the accountant was smart and asked my friend if his name was connected to any bitcoin wallets; my friend said "no" and the reply from the accountant was basically "I do NOT want to hear about your bitcoin".
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 06:09:16 PM

It is NOT taxed if

My friend asked his tax accountant; the accountant was smart and asked my friend if his name was connected to any bitcoin wallets; my friend said "no" and the reply from the accountant was basically "I do NOT want to hear about your bitcoin".

He should fire that accountant immediately

1aguar

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 07:26:31 PM

It is NOT taxed if

Why? I am sure that the accountant saved my friend a lot of time and money!  Grin
dloghwak

Activity: 290

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 07:53:58 PM

It is NOT taxed if

Why? I am sure that the accountant saved my friend a lot of time and money!  Grin
Cash seems to be also tax free in your opinion.
1aguar

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 08:16:17 PM

It is NOT taxed if

Cash seems to be also tax free in your opinion.
Everyone must form their own opinion.
Here are some facts that you can learn about at your leisure:
http://stopthepirates.blogspot.com/2015/09/cold-hard-facts-about-irs.html
Quoting:
"The IRS agents have no legal authority to demand anything from you, if there are no 3rd party informational documents sent to them with your name on it."
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 01:38:38 AM

It is NOT taxed if

TRUE !

And it's not about opinions.. as that other guy just said.
it's about the law and the biggest baddest law of them all ! TAXATION

You kids out there think the tax laws are some kind of little joke..
you think because you can weazle scammy shit in the altcoin scene you get away with anything.
well, you are going to maybe find out the hard way the ONLY people on earth you DO NOT want to fuck with is the tax man LOL
No creditor gets their money like the Tax Man Wink
And the punishment for screwing over the tax man is jail !

Capone.. nuff said.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: