Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:15:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [888] OctoCoin Core 10.4  (Read 39542 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
myfirst (OP)

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Crypto Currency Developer

View Profile
March 23, 2016, 11:38:38 PM

Nice to see that Octocoin has a little more interest and now that there is some value attached with this exciting currency, I am pleased to announce the first part time job opening.
Salary is paid in Octocoin on a bi-weekly basis.  Compensation will be based on experience and the future/expected market value of Octocoin.  In other words we do not expect this to be your one and only job to make a living.

At least for the first 1 to 2 years.  You are welcome (and recommended) to keep your current employment and work with us remotely (telecommuting/virtual office) on your own time.

Without further ado...

See the full list of current opportunities at http://octocoinfoundation.org/jobs
The list is also on this forum thread on the first page.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phatkiller

Activity: 150

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 12:16:22 AM

So I used to mine with GPUs pretty hardcore back in the day, and I've never seen a virus in any miner that I've used, that's why I'm very skeptical. Chrome blocks it, and Windows don't want to open it, I can't remember the name of the virus it detected, but I downloaded from those links in the past and remember scanning them and it popping up with a few nasty things, not just your run-of the-mill PUP stuff, actual viruses.

If I had money, I'd buy a cheap Scrypt ASIC to help, any recommendations?

I have a few Gridseed G-Blades and Zeus x3s that i use for scrypt mining nothing special.  Scrypt asic hardware is getting a bit more difficult to find.  Try ebay.

As far as the mining program having trojan/virus.  When mining programs were first made antivirus programs didn't have them flagged as such.  Because the code for the mining program is open source trojan/virus makers started using parts of the original code in their trojans/virus.  Your antivirus will give you false positives on probably any mining software you download nowadays.

I know https://www.nicehash.com/?p=software#gpu has links to software and im pretty sure if they are offering it to their potential customers they've done their homework to ensure its safe to use but again your a/v may flag it as trojan/virus.

K210

Activity: 1568
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 01:25:24 PM

No blocks for over 2 hours now, is there something wrong with the network? Last block 2 hour 22 minute ago...is this normal?
myfirst (OP)

Activity: 156

Crypto Currency Developer

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 03:51:04 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2016, 07:24:00 AM by myfirst

No blocks for over 2 hours now, is there something wrong with the network? Last block 2 hour 22 minute ago...is this normal?

This is a typical problem with small networks on the current difficulty algorithm, really not much you can do about it except wait it out.  It should become less of an occurrence once the network gets larger and there are more miners.

Iif it continues to happen after the network grows larger, I may consider replacing the difficulty algorithm with Zetacoin's algorithm
phatkiller

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 07:38:37 PM

This is happening because someone is mining on and off.   They jump on drop 80 - 100MH/s mining a ton of blocks until it gets too difficult to solve quickly.  Slowly but surely lower speed miners start hitting blocks.   Difficulty retargets after every block so this can take sometime depending how long it takes to solve, but honestly i think it happens pretty quick with Octocoin.   I've seen some chains go 14-18 hours without mining a block.

djslick
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2016, 06:35:59 PM

This is happening because someone is mining on and off.   They jump on drop 80 - 100MH/s mining a ton of blocks until it gets too difficult to solve quickly.  Slowly but surely lower speed miners start hitting blocks.   Difficulty retargets after every block so this can take sometime depending how long it takes to solve, but honestly i think it happens pretty quick with Octocoin.   I've seen some chains go 14-18 hours without mining a block.

Yeah, I remember that first wave of scrypt coins were terribad when a multipool would hit and run them.

Octocoin actually had that problem too in it's early months, I was actually the one who discovered the multipool that was doing it, and struck a deal with the owner to leave it alone (as we were working on implementing the gravity well in a few thousand blocks...) I said I'd devote X amount of hashing power to his pool in return, had to rent some rigs to fulfil, but it bought us the few days we needed to get it fixed.

*also great job to all those active traders on Yobit, let's keep this activity going! I'm doing my part ^_^

*** STUMP THE TRUMP *** SPURN THE BERN *** VOTE BILLARY! ***
-= www.Billary.rocks | https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1439754 =-
phatkiller

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 02:32:08 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2016, 02:51:41 AM by phatkiller

Multi-algo or Proof of Stake would be nice but that would require a massive overhaul of the code but i'll settle for a PPLNS pool. Hopefully myfirst can fill that position soon and get some help with the coin.  

We definitely need something to attract miners production went from (post halving) ~35,000 octocoin a day to ~8,300 octocoin a day since the on and off hashing.  I'm curious if the decrease in coins mined per day will mess with the difficulty later on down the line....

So far so good @ Yobit I was able to pick up over 5k octo pretty cheap when i compared to my mining costs @ the current difficulty.

djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2016, 07:28:25 PM

Is there a way to fork Octocoin to run on a different hashing algorithm? Like one of the newer ones that can still be mined on a GPU for for alot less power consumption? I'm really not that up-to-date with which algo is best, but it would be nice to contribute with GPUs again. No farm, just let the gamers out there do their part Wink

djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 05:38:04 PM

So it looks like someone is trying to push the price down aggressively. Volume is good, but when the next sell point is 400 sats, why push it down to 100 and put up a 100 sell wall? Someone's trying to scoop this stuff up cheap... I think that 400 satoshis is indicative of it's true value, it would be good to keep it above that. only 20 or so million coins in the wild, and 20 million are gone forever thanks to the burn, octocoin is pretty rare compared with other alts. if anything it's undervalued.

phatkiller

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 12:03:19 PM

Found another block explorer https://prohashing.com/explorer/Octocoin/

I think they may be the pool that's mining OctoCoin on and off

djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2016, 01:29:29 AM

Found another block explorer https://prohashing.com/explorer/Octocoin/

I think they may be the pool that's mining OctoCoin on and off

yeah, that's probably the one that's doing those mass sells, would make sense. It's going to be hard to raise the price to something reasonable when the coin is being attacked by a multipool.

From what I see, we could either keep the value artificially low for a while so maybe they remove octo from their pool rotation... Or just get enough hashing power ourselves so we can compete. I'd rather do the latter, but again without a scrypt ASIC there don't seem to be any other alternatives.

Sled

Activity: 1680
Merit: 535

Bitcoin- in bullish time

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 01:39:34 AM

Any upadates? The coins value is low on exchanges does anyone here have a faucet to accumulate this? Thanks
djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2016, 09:36:46 AM

Any upadates? The coins value is low on exchanges does anyone here have a faucet to accumulate this? Thanks

I'll gladly donate towards a faucet if someone wants to set it up. I'll throw in 5k.

And the value is low, it's only been listed for a couple weeks. This is the ground floor.

Next step is generating interest with real investors.

phatkiller

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 02:29:07 PM

I'll gladly donate towards a faucet if someone wants to set it up. I'll throw in 5k.

And the value is low, it's only been listed for a couple weeks. This is the ground floor.

Next step is generating interest with real investors.

There is a faucet setup already http://faucet.securepayment.cc/888  There is another but i can't find/remember where right now.

Myfirst did an amazing job documenting every check out the first two posts of this thread.  Don't stop there check out his site www.octocoinfoundation.org all the info is in there.

My favorite page is http://www.octocoinfoundation.org/resources it lists everything you need to get started link to precompiled wallets(windows, mac.linux), github, faucet, and a detailed guide to on how to submit a request to get OctoCoin 888 listed on various exchanges.

phatkiller

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 05:55:42 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2016, 12:06:15 AM by phatkiller

So yesterday I rented 100 MH/s to try and actually get through and mine some coins.  I also had three full nodes up and running.  The three nodes are whitelisted to accept and rebroadcast any and all transactions to and from each other.

Two nodes were in sync with the original block explorer https://chainz.cryptoid.info/octo/ and the only known public pool http://octocoin.securepayment.cc/.  The third node was 23 blocks ahead.  In console on all three I did getpeerinfo and getinfo and confirmed that the two that were in sync had full block data available up to there respective block(sorry i didnt write it down Huh).  The third node that was 23 blocks ahead but only had block headers for those 23 blocks.

The third node would not broadcast the additional blocks it had it was just stuck the difficulty on it was ~21.  I something was wrong with it so I took it offline.

My third node was the only thing bridging the gap between the other miner (8NZm7kxY3fDCzDnZKTnZx9nCmeQiCtp986) the block explorer and my two nodes from forking.  Whoever else is mining isn't broadcasting their solved blocks to the original pool or original block explorer as they are found.  They are only transmitting block headers to my third node.

The info in the two block explorers are different i think i realized the problem around block 549271.
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/octo/
https://prohashing.com/explorer/Octocoin/

Nearly all the blocks i mined yesterday were orphaned. Kinda wierd though on octocoin.securepayment.cc we mind upto block #549460 passed the other miner and his chain is right now at 549315 and is the chain taking the lead.  I don't know if this is on purpose or just some weird network behavior.  Honestly its really frustrating but im good i mined all last year i've gone a ton of octo in other wallets.

Whoever you are please add all these nodes to your config file and double check that full block data is being transmitted upon mining.  I'm sure some are yours but some aren't.

addnode=octocoin.securepayment.cc
addnode=octocoin.duckdns.org
addnode=188.165.3.6
addnode=148.251.90.34
addnode=192.99.241.164
addnode=192.99.62.23
addnode=198.27.81.25
addnode=45.32.161.111
addnode=46.44.43.186
addnode=5.135.108.204
addnode=65.95.150.203
addnode=67.244.78.203
addnode=70.76.166.31
addnode=73.130.76.103
addnode=84.119.43.58
addnode=85.85.237.208
addnode=98.115.147.74

K210

Activity: 1568
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 01:14:53 PM

Why not switch octocoin to a pos algo for the long term?? Make coin cap infinite and introduce 1-2% yearly stake interest to keep inflation low. The pow system right now is broken with multipools abusing it and no blocks being found for 10-20 hours at a time making the coin unusable. Besides POS provides a better main chain for sidechains later on and helps a coin better retain value. That is my opinion i would like to hear other peoples opinion on this.
djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2016, 10:54:13 AM

Why not switch octocoin to a pos algo for the long term?? Make coin cap infinite and introduce 1-2% yearly stake interest to keep inflation low. The pow system right now is broken with multipools abusing it and no blocks being found for 10-20 hours at a time making the coin unusable. Besides POS provides a better main chain for sidechains later on and helps a coin better retain value. That is my opinion i would like to hear other peoples opinion on this.

Yeah, PoS is good, I'd be for it.

Also another GPU-only hashing algo would work, anything that can't be abused by ASIC farms. I don't know how many GPU farms are still around...

djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2016, 10:57:51 AM

Also, whoever keeps pushing the price down, just let them have their fun. Don't feed him.

Constantly eating the buy walls and pushing a massive sell wall down.

Pretty obvious attempt to get the price down low enough to get tons of this coin for cheap.

Don't sell 888 that low, we've waited long enough, we can wait past this, don't let him sink the ship, it only works if there's volume this low. IF not he'll learn.

phatkiller

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 06:41:39 PM

POS would be awesome i'm definitely for that.  POW is terrible right now something is definitely wrong or there is some massive attack idk.

Also, whoever keeps pushing the price down, just let them have their fun. Don't feed him.

Constantly eating the buy walls and pushing a massive sell wall down.

Pretty obvious attempt to get the price down low enough to get tons of this coin for cheap.

Don't sell 888 that low, we've waited long enough, we can wait past this, don't let him sink the ship, it only works if there's volume this low. IF not he'll learn.

I'll admit i helped dump down hoping the lower price will deter the miner from mining. The number of orphans I've had are ridiculous.

djslick
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2016, 12:59:12 PM

All's fair in love and trading amirite? Smiley

So it's a battle between keeping it low enough so the multipool stays away, and keeping volume high enough to not be de-listed.

As long as we're on the same page as far as long-term growth is concerned, I'm all for fucking the multipool over, doesn't hurt to scoop up some cheap now anyways.

And perhaps this buys us time to consider the technical ramifications of going to PoS, if that's even feasible almost 2 years into a coin's life. Also, what that will mean for trading... although TBH, the real traders don't mine, so they wouldn't care. I was a lowly miner, but all the good fortunes I've had in crypto have come from trading. Bought my GTX 980 with my profits, woo! too bad i can't really mine with it anymore, was sad to see the old 7970 sputter and die Sad

I hope we can count on you to move the price in the right direction when the time comes. I personally feel that 400 sat is a good baseline, that's what it used to be, and even though a lot of coins have been mined since then, there are actually LESS coins in the wild right now than there was back then, because of that huge burn. I think it has potential to go up a lot higher, would like to see 1500 sat be the baseline one the coin hits it's stride. I was a part of the blackcoin team and look at what they did. I still know the dev of that first reverse-multipool that would mine BTC to buy blackcoin, just put constant buy pressure on the market, it was a cool idea.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: