Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:55:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Easiest Way To Secure Coinbase Vault Bitcoin  (Read 718 times)
AAAnditsgone (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 04:36:55 PM

I am relatively new to bitcoin, still not comfortable with it. After the Bitfinex hack I have been wanting to move my coins from the coinase vault to a paper wallet or hardware wallet I can keep at home. What is a good easy option that has easy to follow instructions?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 06:27:52 PM

Hardware wallets are generally very safe to use and easy to setup. They do cost a few dollars, so you need to be willing to pay this. If you hold a significant amount of coins, it is definately worth it in my opinion.

Trezor: https://buytrezor.com/  99 usd
Ledger: https://www.ledgerwallet.com/  35-70 euro
Keepkey: https://www.keepkey.com/  99 usd

BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 06:31:19 PM

I must say I am very happy with the Ledger HW.1 hardware wallet which is also the cheapest one. In my country Italy I bought it from their website for 15 Euro and shipping with priority from France (as there is where they are located) did cost only 6 Euro. So in total I received it for 21 Euros or 0.035 btc. If you have a large number of coins by all means buy a hardware wallet immediately.

From my personal experience I am enjoying it very much, was very easy to set up(Google chrome must be installed) as it uses a Chrome App to operate. For 21 Euros if you live in Europe is very much worth it.
EnacDomains

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2016, 08:06:34 PM

yes, coinbase is one of the reliable companies. if they fall, we're all sol

http://eNAC.com -Buy and sell domain names with Bitcoin
zend7

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 08:03:19 AM

And why you rely of them no matter how reliable they are, they can close business anytime with your bitcoins gone ? Securing bitcoin in a third party wallet in which you don't control your private keys is against the core philosophy of bitcoin itself.

There are a lot of desktop wallets like Multibit Classic, Multibit HD, Bitcoin Core, and Electrum from which private keys never leave your PC and you are your own bank just like bitcoin philosophy is.
buxlover

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 03:42:15 PM

And why you rely of them no matter how reliable they are, they can close business anytime with your bitcoins gone ? Securing bitcoin in a third party wallet in which you don't control your private keys is against the core philosophy of bitcoin itself.

There are a lot of desktop wallets like Multibit Classic, Multibit HD, Bitcoin Core, and Electrum from which private keys never leave your PC and you are your own bank just like bitcoin philosophy is.

When we will not have more than few bitcoins at a time or if we send and receive low amounts frequently, Its better to use a web wallet like coinbase, since its has to transaction fee and also i believe coinbase will not cheat or run away for some small amount, because they have good trade volume in gdax.

Also bitcoin itself is based on trust, bitcoin has value only when someone trusts it has the value. This will be the situation for all currencies, so rather downloading some wallets into our pc and knowing some technical and analytical knowledge about mining fee, Also we have to keep our pc secured from hacks and virus or else we need to keep a back up somewhere else. So i would say web wallet is better to avoid those hassles.

socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 04:49:29 PM

Yeah right so your savings there are risky its more great to use other wallet like electrum or bitcoin core for more safe than put your all money in one wallet that you did not know how long they will live.. so for me electrum is good because you can backupo all private keys that you can transfer to other wallet once electrum is down..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: