Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:32:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Take a Bitcoin quiz...for Bitcoins!  (Read 1382 times)
weex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 04:45:22 PM

Hi folks,

We all know that learning about Bitcoin can be a challenge. There is so much technology and mathematics powering the inner workings of this magnificent system, that it is a challenge even for hardcore geeks to truly wrap their heads around it. So I'm proposing to create a quiz site that pays the user a little BTC for taking a quiz. I would make the payout dependent on their score in the quiz.

The challenges are:

1) Coming up with good quiz questions.

To address this one, I ask that people PM me their quiz questions. I could probably think of quite a few but I'm sure you can think of better ones...especially if you're just learning about Bitcoin.

2) Defending the site from bots.

For this I propose using SolveMedia's captcha that seems to be pretty good and could help to fund the payouts. I reallly wish there were a Bitcoin captcha service like SolveMedia but again, got any better ideas?

3) Creating the payout software.

I'd be willing to develop this...and would do so as a github project.

4) Funding the site.

I'll start with with enough see BTC and once the site is running think that interested individuals will contribute a little to keep the site in operation.

Thoughts? Has this been tried before? Is it wrong to pay people to learn?

Thanks,

weex

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 04:59:23 PM

How about surveys in addition?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 05:02:16 PM

How about surveys in addition?
I think this could be incorporated. Or at least the system could be made to work for surveys if someone else wants to setup another site with it.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 05:08:13 PM

I don't understand, you'd like to help people overcome the challenge of understanding Bitcoin by giving them a few gratis bitcoins for completing a quiz/survey?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 06:08:22 PM

I don't understand, you'd like to help people overcome the challenge of understanding Bitcoin by giving them a few gratis bitcoins for completing a quiz/survey?
Stranger things have happened. The goal is to incentivize learning.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 06:25:41 PM

Stranger things have happened. The goal is to incentivize learning.

My 2 cents? You're looking at this the wrong way. I don't believe you need to incentivize learning about Bitcoin because I'm certain there already is a high demand for this. If you want to solve the problem of more people learning about Bitcoin IMO you should focus on the teaching part instead. It's actually what I'm thinking about/researching right now. It might not feel like it but there really isn't all that much of easily digestible easy to understand info out there for the everyday ordinary non geek user. Even with the best examples of good learning material you most likely need some CS knowledge if you want to have a firm grasp on what you're doing and how it works.

So if you ask me, forget about trying to get people to learn about Bitcoin and just help them learn about Bitcoin.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 07:26:20 PM

So if you ask me, forget about trying to get people to learn about Bitcoin and just help them learn about Bitcoin.

It's valid point of view. I've spent some time cleaning up the wiki in the past and wrote "You Can Learn Bitcoin" which teaches enough to be able to transact and store coins with confidence.

A quiz site and a way for people to obtain a small amount of BTC seem like another underserved angle so that's what this thread is for.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 08:03:39 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2012, 08:19:48 PM by Spaceman_Spiff

If you want to solve the problem of more people learning about Bitcoin IMO you should focus on the teaching part instead. It's actually what I'm thinking about/researching right now. It might not feel like it but there really isn't all that much of easily digestible easy to understand info out there for the everyday ordinary non geek user.

We could ask Salman Khan to make a video about bitcoin on Khan Academy.  If anybody can explain hard stuff in a palpable way, it's him.  He has a background in economics, seems into sciency stuff and is definitely into open projects for the community, so he might be interested.  Then again, maybe bitcoin is too risky/speculative for him to want to put it on his website....

EDIT: hell, it might be worth the try.  I suggested the topic on the website.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 08:52:15 PM

If you want to solve the problem of more people learning about Bitcoin IMO you should focus on the teaching part instead. It's actually what I'm thinking about/researching right now. It might not feel like it but there really isn't all that much of easily digestible easy to understand info out there for the everyday ordinary non geek user.

We could ask Salman Khan to make a video about bitcoin on Khan Academy.  If anybody can explain hard stuff in a palpable way, it's him.  He has a background in economics, seems into sciency stuff and is definitely into open projects for the community, so he might be interested.  Then again, maybe bitcoin is too risky/speculative for him to want to put it on his website....

EDIT: hell, it might be worth the try.  I suggested the topic on the website.

That's a really good idea, he really is excellent for explaining stuff. I hope your suggestion is heard. I might also write an email and see if I can get a hold of him.

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 09:00:57 PM

It would be great if Khan did a video on Bitcoin...even better would be if he'd create a quiz along with that lesson and send a little BTC to his students.  Grin
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 10:02:03 PM

I might also write an email and see if I can get a hold of him.

Go for it!

I guess he might feels uneasy about it, given the possible risks involved in bitcoin, thinking that maybe people will try it out because of his video (which is a good thing, but only if they read up on the safety aspects, and don't put in a lot of money).
But this could easily be dealt with in a few sentences reminding people that it is still a startup experiment, and that if they would get involved in it, it is absolutely necessary to read up on the proper cautionary measurements against wallet theft etc. .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: