Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:56:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Estimated amount of bitcoin payments for merchants  (Read 1592 times)
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:46:07 PM

Hi

A friend of mine has recently created a webshop, and I was wondering if I should propose adding bitcoins as a payment system.
My question now: is it already worth the effort if you are not a bitcoin enthusiast?

I was wondering if there are any merchants here that can indicate how often people pay with bitcoins for their goods/services ( I am specifically looking for merchants that do not solely operate on bitcoins, and markets that are not related to bitcoins (so no money-related services like coinabul or computer/security-related services). Both an absolute number and a ratio of bitcoins/other currency payments would be ideal.  I know most people here are bitcoin enthusiasts, but it would be appreciated if you told the not-so-great commerce numbers too.

Furthermore: are there any catches, problems associated with accepting bitcoins?  I just read something about DDOS attacks on the Blacklotus thread, and I have no idea what that is about  Undecided .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:52:32 PM

Furthermore: are there any catches, problems associated with accepting bitcoins?
If a webshop uses a Bitcoin payment processor, of which there are three that I am aware, then they take care of all the potential problems.

With all of them he can just add the payment widget to his webstore and get another potential way for customers to pay, and it won't cost anything (other than the time to set it up) even if nobody ever uses it.
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:59:26 PM

If a webshop uses a Bitcoin payment processor, of which there are three that I am aware, then they take care of all the potential problems.

Ok, good to know !

With all of them he can just add the payment widget to his webstore and get another potential way for customers to pay, and it won't cost anything (other than the time to set it up) even if nobody ever uses it.

Yeah, I know bitcoin has a very low entry barrier, I was mainly thinking about setup time.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:59:48 PM

Tell your friend that if wordpress thought it was worth their time maybe he should too.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 05:42:28 PM

I am guessing wordpress has a slightly larger clientele than he does  Wink
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 05:44:46 PM

if you build it they will come

Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 10:13:00 AM

One of Bitcoin's biggest selling point is that it adds a huge (okay, medium sized) new market for your site. Hell, every little bit can't hurt, right?

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:44:42 AM

Perhaps you should advice your friend to think of accepting bitcoin as marketing. One well placed post here gets easily several hundred views, all potential customers.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:33:30 PM

Perhaps you should advice your friend to think of accepting bitcoin as marketing. One well placed post here gets easily several hundred views, all potential customers.

That's true. The market is almost infinitesimal, but the marketing opportunities are significant (see Wordpress).
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 02:53:36 PM

Yes, have them contact us!

https://bitpay.com

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

Does your website accept bitcoins?
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 10:11:39 PM

Bitpay was very easy to set up on my website and make a couple sales here and there with bitcoins. It most certainly is worth it. Especially since I believe in the bitcoin cause.

Bitexchange

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 10:28:50 PM

Most likely if you only add Bitcoin checkout you wont have many people use it, maybe 1 out of 1000.
But if you make a few postings here from time to time promoting your shop, im sure it will be worth the time.

Especially for small sites its a win/win situation, bitcoin gets promotion and your site gets promotion.

Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:03:26 PM

While I think BitPay is a handy solution for merchants (especially for those that aren't hardcore bitcoin enthusiasts), you do not have direct deposit as an option for my country.  I was also wondering what the daily minimum means in practice.
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:04:42 PM

Bitpay was very easy to set up on my website and make a couple sales here and there with bitcoins.

k, tx for the info
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:36:37 PM

While I think BitPay is a handy solution for merchants (especially for those that aren't hardcore bitcoin enthusiasts), you do not have direct deposit as an option for my country.  I was also wondering what the daily minimum means in practice.

If direct deposit is too much of an issue, consider using the small amount of coins received as purchasing power on other sites that accept Bitcoin for wears you'll planning on getting with fiat.

The bottom line, for the little effort if takes to implement, then announce the site here, the chances are sales will be made whether Bitcoin is used or not.

~Bruno K~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: