Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:21:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get free power?  (Read 6002 times)
Atomicat
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 03:49:26 PM

If I was doing this in a big way then I think batteries are a no no, just too expensive & they need replacing at some point. I think the thing to do is to "cheat".  Smiley

Have a grid tied system and run the miner off the mains in the usual way. Choose an appropriately sized miner for the overall solar power you are generating and then just keep tabs on the solar power you have generated and the grid power consumed. Then do some maths on an ongoing basis to check the profitability. Over a period of time you will get exactly the same result as having a large battery bank, but without the initial and ongoing replacement costs.

Rich
Oh yeah, but then you're using the grid as your battery. If you're doing this in a cabin far from humanity that's what you will need.

Also it's interesting to note how much power you need to run a modern-ish life off grid. A fridge pulls 100-200 watts 24*7, there's 20% of that amount. Lot of batteries and panels needed to run the modern life. So go hug your utility guy sometime....

I think this is true.  Miners use a LOT of power if using a decent sized one.  You easily can run thousands of watts on miners even in "home" mining.  And "hobby" miners are even more then that.

I just do not see a big payoff when you spend the amount on even just solar panels.   Going cheap electric is going to win every time.
At the current difficulty and the high-priced ASICs even miner with cheap or even free electricity will have a hard time getting an ROI.

We had a LONG time of very low nice difficulty changes so keep that in mind when looking at it.  Will this difficulty change hurt?  Yes sure will.

But overall we are not doing bad, unless we continue at this rate.  If we continue at 10 plus per week yes could be bad if market does not follow.
The BITMAIN AntMiner S7's are moving very fast. We're only going to see more and more hashpower added in the coming weeks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2222

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 05:05:24 PM

Please remember that mining is the ultimate zero sum/queen's race game there is. The faster the miners that come out, the higher the difficulty and the quicker they become totally obsolete. It is a perfect market, therefore long term profits are impossible.

* Queen's race: Where you have to run faster and faster just to stay in place.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 06:10:23 PM

Please remember that mining is the ultimate zero sum/queen's race game there is. The faster the miners that come out, the higher the difficulty and the quicker they become totally obsolete. It is a perfect market, therefore long term profits are impossible.

* Queen's race: Where you have to run faster and faster just to stay in place.

The mines are suspose to get more efficient to where it helps in race when switching to new.  Also value should reflect mining.

Value of BTC right is not bad.  it's not terrific or anything but I consider it to be a lot better then 230 we were at forever.  So there are some good things out there.

In this thread some are the tremedoous lucky with "free" power.  Those people are hard to beat.
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 10:55:05 AM

Some of the users on this forum made posts where they claim to get free power, where do they get this power from?

Suppose, if you have an antminer s7, it can produce 1btc a month.
1btc is around £200.
Hotel accomodation, per night, including electricity and internet: £40
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

So for 6 antminer s7s, you get around £1200 a month.
Convert this into money and you have £40 a night!
Purchase about 10 s7s and you have got yourself £800 a month or more than £20 a night!

Not so bad but needs a high capital!

what a moron brain could ever think that?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 03:16:10 PM

Some of the users on this forum made posts where they claim to get free power, where do they get this power from?

1btc is around £200.
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

Purchase about 10 s7s and you have got yourself £800 a month or more than £20 a night!

And the staff will never wonder why you never let them clean the room or the loud noises other rooms complain about....

It's a idea that will never work.  Hotels are not meant for ton's of electrical usage. You would really surprise me if you could do 6 S7's in 1 hotel room.
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 04:14:01 PM

@ Taylor256

If you are going to plagiarise some text straight of the net at least edit it to fit the context of the thread and remove text like "In this science fair project"...............

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:23:59 PM

1btc is around £200.
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

And the staff will never wonder why you never let them clean the room or the loud noises other rooms complain about....

It's a idea that will never work.  Hotels are not meant for ton's of electrical usage. You would really surprise me if you could do 6 S7's in 1 hotel room.

They probably wouldn't make too much noise, and If they did, you would be able to try and drown ehm out or even place them in the cupboard. There would be enough plug sockets, I think. Why would staff get suspicious about not being able toclean a room, also, if you book somewhere like a premier inn or travel lodge, they don't tend to not clean the rooms on daily basises anyway!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:27:22 PM

1btc is around £200.
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

They probably wouldn't make too much noise, and If they did, you would be able to try and drown ehm out or even place them in the cupboard. There would be enough plug sockets, I think. Why would staff get suspicious about not being able toclean a room, also, if you book somewhere like a premier inn or travel lodge, they don't tend to not clean the rooms on daily basises anyway!

Which miners have you ran personally?  I don't think you get how loud some can be.  And putting in a cupboard..... would trap exhust with miner so it would be like a box of death getting hotter and hotter.

This will not work in hotel in 90 percent of cases.  And if it does... chances are you paying more for hotel then you make with miners.  They are not geared for a lot of electricity.  And actually chances are you would try it in a motel not hotel.... and it could be one nasty place.  But still not going to get you cheap electricity after paying for room.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:49:33 PM

1btc is around £200.
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

Which miners have you ran personally?  I don't think you get how loud some can be.  And putting in a cupboard..... would trap exhust with miner so it would be like a box of death getting hotter and hotter.

This will not work in hotel in 90 percent of cases.  And if it does... chances are you paying more for hotel then you make with miners.  They are not geared for a lot of electricity.  And actually chances are you would try it in a motel not hotel.... and it could be one nasty place.  But still not going to get you cheap electricity after paying for room.

Just give them the oven example. When the oven door is closed, the heat go way up and it cook your food. That is identical to what would happen to your miners, they would cook. I'm meeting a lot of people, even IRL that want to get into mining and thats what they usually say;

"Just put it in the storage room." (That has no window or air flow)

Last one yesterday, chained with "I'll just put an AC there" which would just generate more heat since he did not have a way to dump the heat outside. He was going to leave the exhaust in the storage room as well.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
sishendaoye

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 10:11:45 PM

When you rent office space, most of the time electricity is included. The same applies for renting an house.
But make sure with your landlord that the price is included. Don't go out setting up 20 miners and then having your landlord come to you to pay the electricty bill.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 04:48:16 AM

1btc is around £200.
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

It's a idea that will never work.  Hotels are not meant for ton's of electrical usage. You would really surprise me if you could do 6 S7's in 1 hotel room.

Which miners have you ran personally?  I don't think you get how loud some can be.  And putting in a cupboard..... would trap exhust with miner so it would be like a box of death getting hotter and hotter.

This will not work in hotel in 90 percent of cases.  And if it does... chances are you paying more for hotel then you make with miners.  They are not geared for a lot of electricity.  And actually chances are you would try it in a motel not hotel.... and it could be one nasty place.  But still not going to get you cheap electricity after paying for room.

Just give them the oven example. When the oven door is closed, the heat go way up and it cook your food. That is identical to what would happen to your miners, they would cook. I'm meeting a lot of people, even IRL that want to get into mining and thats what they usually say;

Last one yesterday, chained with "I'll just put an AC there" which would just generate more heat since he did not have a way to dump the heat outside. He was going to leave the exhaust in the storage room as well.

Exactly I think what we saw was someone trying to give advice with a signature... .and they did not have proper info to give advice.  They did not understand some miners do make lots of noise... it's in some of their nature.  Granted you can cut it down but a box with no exhaust or intake is one of the worst idea's ever.

The miner will actually be dead silent most likely..... as it will die from hot exhaust getting hotter.... and hotter running in cupboard.
mfaidzul

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 09:15:27 AM

Just get some thick copper cable, attach a hook on and chuck it up the nearest power line...
fro85

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 06:42:25 PM

New guy here!

So I live in NC and since OCT '14 I've paid $650 with all utilities included. Yes this includes electricity and Time Warner internet. Here is the downside I'm moving in two weeks  Cry I was just thinking man I could have made ROI and then some.
strayanbit

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 11:11:56 PM

I don't imagine you will find much free power around... How is your search going for free bitcoins?

I know that in Australia, you can now lease solar panels,  perhaps this could be the sort of solution you are looking for.  I have also seen offers like 60 months interest free, on solar panels.  Would 5 years be enough free energy to pay off the panels?
Despite all that, i doubt whether it would be worth it $wise (even with free power), I mean there are now mining companies listed on the ASX, who do nothing but mine.  Unless you're planning on playing for real money, probs best not to bother!

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~1440 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 11:17:54 PM

I don't imagine you will find much free power around... How is your search going for free bitcoins?

I know that in Australia, you can now lease solar panels,  perhaps this could be the sort of solution you are looking for.  I have also seen offers like 60 months interest free, on solar panels.  Would 5 years be enough free energy to pay off the panels?
Despite all that, i doubt whether it would be worth it $wise (even with free power), I mean there are now mining companies listed on the ASX, who do nothing but mine.  Unless you're planning on playing for real money, probs best not to bother!

If you have free electricity, ROI is extremely easy and pretty much guaranteed. You can't lose money mining BTC with free electricity, so its kind of a life hack that make it so you always earn BTC.

Unless you do stupid things like buy a USB miner for 3000USD.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 11:22:43 PM

1btc is around £200.
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

It's a idea that will never work.  Hotels are not meant for ton's of electrical usage. You would really surprise me if you could do 6 S7's in 1 hotel room.

Which miners have you ran personally?  I don't think you get how loud some can be.  And putting in a cupboard..... would trap exhust with miner so it would be like a box of death getting hotter and hotter.

This will not work in hotel in 90 percent of cases.  And if it does... chances are you paying more for hotel then you make with miners.  They are not geared for a lot of electricity.  And actually chances are you would try it in a motel not hotel.... and it could be one nasty place.  But still not going to get you cheap electricity after paying for room.

Exactly I think what we saw was someone trying to give advice with a signature... .and they did not have proper info to give advice.  They did not understand some miners do make lots of noise... it's in some of their nature.  Granted you can cut it down but a box with no exhaust or intake is one of the worst idea's ever.

The miner will actually be dead silent most likely..... as it will die from hot exhaust getting hotter.... and hotter running in cupboard.

WOW!!! NOW I AM ACCUSED OF SPAMMING, what you want me to stop supporting Bitcoin. drop my avatar and signature, leave the site, maybe drop my programming skills to! However, you could charge lithium Ion batteries, take them home, and run your miners off them. They can charge while there and be tae home to use on the miners!

Don't accuse people of spamming just because they have a signature campaign! Just because I want to earn money while posting about my favourite thing (computer science)! Find something useful to do and quick!
MTBTT

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 11:23:38 PM

There is really no such thing as free power... You'll eventually get caught and get kicked out of your place.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 12:02:17 AM

There is really no such thing as free power... You'll eventually get caught and get kicked out of your place.

Several location in the world has free electricity, few cents per Month per kWh. And there are quite a few "electricity included in rent" deals in places where electricity is cheap. And here, if electricity is included but you take too much, the landlord does not have ground to kick you out.

If you abuse, he has legal right to request you to tone it down, but unless you run a 20kW mine in your living room, i think you'll be just fine.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
rockyforever

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 01:51:49 AM

1btc is around £200.
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

WOW!!! NOW I AM ACCUSED OF SPAMMING, what you want me to stop supporting Bitcoin. drop my avatar and signature, leave the site, maybe drop my programming skills to! However, you could charge lithium Ion batteries, take them home, and run your miners off them. They can charge while there and be tae home to use on the miners!

Don't accuse people of spamming just because they have a signature campaign! Just because I want to earn money while posting about my favourite thing (computer science)! Find something useful to do and quick!

He didn't necessarily say you spammed but you gave some horrid advice. NEVER, ever put miners into a cupboard. Would you put a computer tower in a cupboard without proper ventilation? No, so why would putting a miner be any different? Don't give advice if you know nothing. thanks!

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2222

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 03:02:27 AM

Ok, back to topic: If you really want to do "free" power, figure out how you can make a miner help things. For example power factor correction. Could there be a way to use the inductors on the 12v to .6v switching circuits in every damn miner to smooth out the lead/lag loads on say HVAC equipment? How about non-linear loads? Utilities charge a dump truck worth of money to consumers that have crappy power factor, either put that extra energy into the inductors for the miner, or let the miner's fields dump into the lead side of the sine wave.

Then you mine bitcoins, make utilities happy, AND clients happy. They need smaller wires, they have less overheats, utility runs more efficiently, you get hailed as a fucking hero and get a statue.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: