Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:54:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: btcjam: rethink your user alias suggestion!  (Read 429 times)
dropBear (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 10:11:36 PM

So under basic settings of my btcjam account it suggests using your "bitcointalk" name for your alias. Now I had never heard of bitcointalk so I headed over here and signed up (after already having published a loan listing at btcjam).

Now the very name of this site suggests it to be all about bitcoin discussion but as I was to find out it is in fact a bit of a cesspit in some parts at least.

I found what I thought was the appropriate forum to publish a thread appealing to any existing btcjam lenders to help my ORIGINAL loan to get over the line (it was stuck at 69% and with the very small subsequent amounts dribbling in and the BPI declining I couldn't see it reaching 70%).

WELL despite the respectful newbie language of my post I got hammered by EcuaMobi who berated me for "publishing a loan listing without collateral". He branded my bitcointalk account as "untrustworthy" and gave me negative trust points.

I tought WTF?! What is he talking about? Gradually I realised that "Lending" forum is actually a platform for bitcoin loan transactions. Let's revisit the name of the site "bitcointalk.org". More than just a little incongruous?

This "Lending" forum apparently has become cesspit of scammers and trolls and EcuaMobi mistook me for one of those.

Now I have had PM's with him and Shibashi Dogemoto about having my reputation restored as whilst I understand EcuaMobi's frustration at the forum being abused his assessment of my own intentions was not correct.

I think the language in my post is pretty clear I was respectfully trying to find my way around an environment of which I knew basically nothing:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=656568;sa=showPosts

I noticed my credit rating has dropped to D+ on btcjam. I'm not sure if these events are related but btcjam does have a pretty active account here and it would seem you consider a user's reputation at bitcointalk in calculating credit ratings.

So in summary:

* I only signed up to bitcointalk AFTER publishing a loan listing (btcjam lead me here via user alias suggestion)
* Due to my misunderstanding of the true nature of this site (or at least the "Lending" forum) I was basically accused of being a criminal less than 24 hours after creating my account

I hope you can understand I am personally offended by these events and btcjam is partly to blame. If it weren't for your suggested alias I would never even have known about bitcointalk.

You should rethink that alias suggestion or at least warn people who aren't members of bitcointalk already about the potential pitfalls as frankly I think an association between btcjam and this site reflects poorly on the credibility of your business.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dropBear (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 12:38:00 AM

Addendum: EcuaMobi's own profile indicates "potential BTC loss risk" as 0.00000000 so go figure
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 01:32:31 AM

Dude, complaining on this forum about BTCJam is not going to help. I highly doubt they check this forum and even if they did, they probably won't see your posts. Seriously, stop trying. You won't get anywhere.

As for your negative trust, the lending section is for asking for loans. Any newbie looking for a loan, especially on their first post, is considered quite suspicious. What your post was was essentially asking for a loan on a lending platform, BTCJam. People here hate lending platforms like those because unlike here, you get nothing from a loan defaulter. Here, if you provide valid collateral, then you can get a loan. But on BTCJam you can't even provide collateral. There are thousands of people who have scammed on BTCJam and gotten away with it since there is pretty much nothing you can do with someones identification info. Police won't do anything about it. Since people can easily get away with scamming on BTCJam, it is quite obvious then that people here would be suspicious of someone asking for people to lend to him on BTCJam. Hence your negative trust.
dropBear (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:59:35 AM

Dude, complaining on this forum about BTCJam is not going to help. I highly doubt they check this forum and even if they did, they probably won't see your posts. Seriously, stop trying. You won't get anywhere.

As for your negative trust, the lending section is for asking for loans. Any newbie looking for a loan, especially on their first post, is considered quite suspicious. What your post was was essentially asking for a loan on a lending platform, BTCJam. People here hate lending platforms like those because unlike here, you get nothing from a loan defaulter. Here, if you provide valid collateral, then you can get a loan. But on BTCJam you can't even provide collateral. There are thousands of people who have scammed on BTCJam and gotten away with it since there is pretty much nothing you can do with someones identification info. Police won't do anything about it. Since people can easily get away with scamming on BTCJam, it is quite obvious then that people here would be suspicious of someone asking for people to lend to him on BTCJam. Hence your negative trust.

Firstly, thank you for the comprehensive explanation of the Lending forum but do you take my point that I could not have understood that given the name of your website, bitcointalk.org? Combined that with the fact loan requests are posted as discussion threads that look just like every other forum on the web surely you can see how I was confused?

Secondly I'm posting about btcjam on here for the benefit of your other members! Also I included a link to this post in a support request to btcjam so I am:

a) warning your members
b) giving btcjam a forum to plead their case if think they have one

CRICKEY what does it take to get some appreciation around here! lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: