Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:44:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overclocking 5830s in Ubuntu  (Read 1675 times)
jfourmo (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:52:01 AM

I was hoping to overclock my Radeon 5830s above 875 in Ubuntu. All I'm finding is information on how to do it in windows. I'm also seeing a lot of people reporting much higher Mhash/seconds when overclocked above 875, so this is why I'm interested.

Is it possible to go above the stated cap of 875 in Ubuntu?

Thanks!
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sideways

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:21:23 AM

I've been looking for the same thing, but all I've been able to find is "use windows" .. apparently after reflashing the bios it will have the new limits in it, then you can set them as normal. If someone does have a way to do it in linux, I'd love to know also.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:52:20 AM

You need to use RBE (which is a windows only program) to edit the video card GPU's BIOS files.

I suppose you could run RBE through wine and then flash your cards using atiflash (a DOS application which can be run off of a USB stick).

Good luck.
Adam

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:26:39 PM

Bump in case anyone has a software solution that doesn't involve flashing the BIOS.  I flashed a few of my cards with RBE, but I don't like it.  Just worried I'm going to brick a card or have a nightmare unloading them later if I need to restore BIOS with specific signatures or something.

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
Amused2death

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:40:48 PM

Also you do realize that the warranty is no longer valid since the manufacturer can tell the BIOS has been flashed?
Freakin

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:44:41 PM

AMDOverdriveCTRL for linux
Amused2death

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:47:34 PM

AMD overdrive wont let you go higher than the hard values set in BIOS. Have to flash to get higher clockrates.
Adam

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:49:42 PM

Bump in case anyone has a software solution that doesn't involve flashing the BIOS.  I flashed a few of my cards with RBE, but I don't like it.  Just worried I'm going to brick a card or have a nightmare unloading them later if I need to restore BIOS with specific signatures or something.

You didn't make BIOS backups? At least for those card you haven't flashed yet, you really should! And if something goes wrong you'll have at least one working card, from which you can reflash the backups.

I made backups of course, just thought maybe there was a signature specific to one card or something like that, and I would need the exact BIOS to flash it back.  I'm planning on having a lot of these so it would be a problem if that was the case.  That and voiding the warranty made me stop at flashing a few.

I'll look into that AMDoverdriveCtrl.

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
twitcoins

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:23:37 PM

Definitely RBE + AMDOverdriveCTRL, should be able to hit 300 Mhash/s for each 5830 you have as long as your cooling is good.
CubedRoot

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:27:54 AM

you wont be able to adjust voltages on those cards using anything in linux.  I have 3 5850's and a 5870 in my ubuntu setup and I cant get them to overclock no where as good as I can when I overclock them in windows using Trixx.
lemosax

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:45:26 PM

I flashed 8 Saphire 5830s.  I assumed the bios dumps may be unique to a card, so I backed them all up individually.  In fact, a quick md5sum of the backups confirms that they are all identical.  My cards were purchased at the same time and are sequentially numbered, so YMMV...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: