Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:25:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Computers 1 Wallet  (Read 1895 times)
RaTTuS (OP)

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:26:21 AM

well not quite, Shocked
what happens if you setup two [multiple]  machines with the same wallet info ?

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:32:51 AM

As you use the bitcoin software you create new addresses, once you ran through the pregenerated addresses you would end up with a different balance on each computer as the wallets diverged.

There might be additional strange behavior from the software as well.

You can copy the wallet file back and forth between 2 computers as long as you are only using it in one location at a time and make sure you use the latest copy.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
RaTTuS (OP)

Bite me

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:44:33 AM

OK,
this is not something I'd want to do , however it may be worth trying to stop this if it could potentially cause a problem down the line

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

mewantsbitcoins

Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:47:35 AM

What you could do is use a usb stick. Put your wallet.dat on it and use -datadir=<dir> everytime you start bitcoin. No where ever you go you'll have your wallet with you.
Of course, there are some security implications. You have to trust the computer is malware free before running bitcoin on it
RaTTuS (OP)

Bite me

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:30:58 AM

I do backup my wallet.dat file [several places]
but for this question I was wondering what the implications where ...
i.e.
I do have one runinng at home, work & parents [all different wallets] ,
but if I lost access to one I could re-create the wallet ,

the question really was what would happen if the other came back on stream. .... i.e. could you break BC by doing this and somehow poisoning the blocks IYSWIM or would the worse damage you could do is break a single wallet. [ I suppose this really is not a question for Technical support ]

Dude65535

Merit: 101

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:31:21 AM

A wallet in use in two places can't damage the network. Its is more likely to confuse than break the wallet. You would have access to all your bitcoins between the two copies. Telling exactly how many bitcoins you had would be difficult though since there would be a partial overlap between the two.

If transactions were sent from both computers around the same time you might end up trying to send the same bitcoins to two different people. The block chain would sort that out and one of the people would get their coins and the other would not. At that point one of the two would be rather annoyed with you much as if you had given them a bad check.

If something worse did go wrong though I won't be sending you any bitcoins to cover the loss so I would not recommend trying it out.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
RaTTuS (OP)

Bite me

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:49:19 AM

no I'm not doing it , I was just wondering what would happen.

BitConvict

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:32:51 PM

what about having 2 wallets? do you have to back it up all over again every time the amount changes?, what if you spend some btc and then put in your old wallet file
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: