Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:16:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CEO Patrick Byrne has accumulated stash to 'survive three-month freeze'  (Read 724 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 09:29:54 AM

CEO Patrick Byrne has accumulated stash to 'survive three-month freeze'

The boss of online marketplace Overstock.com has revealed he has stashed away $10million in gold and silver in the Utah wilderness as part of a back-up plan to survive any collapse of the U.S. financial system.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3322446/Overstock-com-reveals-prepper-plan-Online-retailer-buried-10m-gold-silver-secret-Utah-hideaway-hoarded-food-case-world-financial-struck-disaster.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 09:44:27 AM

I wonder if people will try to search through the entire ground of Utah to find the burried Gold and Silver being worth $10M. Not very smart to share such information with the outside world  Cheesy
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 12:13:14 PM

The boss of online marketplace Overstock.com has revealed he has stashed away $10million in gold and silver in the Utah wilderness as part of a back-up plan to survive any collapse of the U.S. financial system.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3322446/Overstock-com-reveals-prepper-plan-Online-retailer-buried-10m-gold-silver-secret-Utah-hideaway-hoarded-food-case-world-financial-struck-disaster.html

So he digged a few holes in the desert of Utah to hide his precious metals there and is now shouting that out into the public?
If true that's not very smart. I already can see treasure hunters out there scanning the ground with their metal detectors. Cheesy
defaultking

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 12:24:47 PM

Yeah that's crazy. Even if you don't find everything and just find a piece of his fortune (a small piece at that) most people would still come out positive than working that year at their current day job.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:48:57 PM

Its a very good move, although I would have not disclosed its location, not even the area.

Because now every "treasure hunter" will search the place for his treasure and try to steal it.

If I were him, I would have purchased a cave, and built a fortress underground in the cave system, and put my gold there. With that kind of money its totally possible.

richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 02:04:49 PM

It's just insane that some one will openly speak about where he hided 10 million worth of anything somewhere in Utah. Also, 10 million to survive 3 months of freeze?  Cheesy
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 02:33:46 PM

I suppose he had it in mind really before announcing it. That must be to divert people checking his properties for his hidden stash.  This might not even be true.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:10:45 PM

So he digged a few holes in the desert of Utah to hide his precious metals there and is now shouting that out into the public?
If true that's not very smart. I already can see treasure hunters out there scanning the ground with their metal detectors. Cheesy

Yep this makes 0 sense. It's like getting all of your money in Bitcoin because you sense an imminent collapse and want to get your money out of the banks which will surely make your money disappear, and after you do this you say it all over the internet. Whats the point??
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 05:03:07 PM

this all might be part of a pr stunt. ceo of overstock is a wise man, can't see him put that much gold and silver under the ground. it doesn't make sense if it isn't a pr stunt.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 09:36:51 PM

It's probably locked in a bunker with a sophisticated alarm system and a lot of guards.

Put into the ground in the wilderness does not neccesarily imply that the gold and silver were actually just hidden a plain old hole in the ground. He might have, and probably has taken measures to protect it if he really did place it there.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 08:21:59 AM

i would do the same with paper wallet and bitcoin to be honest, would be about 30k bitcoin with he current price

gold will not increase much more is there since ages, bitcoin has much better potential
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 02:20:58 PM

I wonder if people will try to search through the entire ground of Utah to find the burried Gold and Silver being worth $10M. Not very smart to share such information with the outside world  Cheesy

I am sure there will be people that will if not try, then at least scratch on the surface of this statement to see can they obtain some more info about this, just to see would unit be available to maybe find his stash!

I just hope that Byrne has hid it really well and hasn't left any traces, otherwise making this public would be very, very unwise! Smiley
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 02:37:06 PM

Its a very good move, although I would have not disclosed its location, not even the area.

Because now every "treasure hunter" will search the place for his treasure and try to steal it.

If I were him, I would have purchased a cave, and built a fortress underground in the cave system, and put my gold there. With that kind of money its totally possible.

Do we know for sure he hasn't give people the wrong location, wrong amounts, wrong anything?

I would do the same if i could tbh.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1343

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 03:10:48 PM

I think he'd be better off spending some of these money or even giving to charity. Why would you even need these kind of money. In case of breakdown nobody will be thinking of supplying him the things he need in exchange for his gold and silver. They will all be planning a heist  Grin

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███