Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:05:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing my private keys to Mobile mycelium wallet  (Read 2776 times)
teddy5145 (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 06:08:04 PM

Hi, im new to using electrum so i don't really understand the technical stuff Tongue
Is it possible to import your private keys from your electrum wallet to Mycelium mobile wallet?
The reason i want to do so is because i want to be able to send my bitcoin even when im not in front of my PC Roll Eyes
I tried to import it but electrum only gives me the plain text version while the Mycelium wallet can only scan the QR-codes Sad
Any way to do this ?
Thank you guys for answering Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1480

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 06:21:18 PM

Hi, im new to using electrum so i don't really understand the technical stuff Tongue
Is it possible to import your private keys from your electrum wallet to Mycelium mobile wallet?
The reason i want to do so is because i want to be able to send my bitcoin even when im not in front of my PC Roll Eyes
I tried to import it but electrum only gives me the plain text version while the Mycelium wallet can only scan the QR-codes Sad
Any way to do this ?

#1 It may is be a bad idea to do this. For one both wallets will send the change to a newly generated address, so this is a one time deal. Secondly the wallets might react in strange or unexpected ways while the TX is unconfirmed. Its also easier to get compromised as there are now two systems that hold the private key in question. A single compromised private key together with your master public key can compromise all your private keys for that seed. If electrum uses hardened keys, not all, but still enough to get you into trouble.

#2 I suggest you just send a small(ish) amount from electrum to mycelium. That way you only have on your phone what you would have in a regular wallet, if its lost or stolen its not a big deal.

#3 Still wana do it? Go to https://www.bitaddress.org, download and(!) verify it. Run it locally and go to "Wallet Details" paste your private key there as electrum gives it to you and click the details button. It will show you the QR code for the private key. Make sure you use the compressed or uncompressed as needed.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
teddy5145 (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 07:21:22 PM

Any way to do this ?

#1 It may is be a bad idea to do this. For one both wallets will send the change to a newly generated address, so this is a one time deal. Secondly the wallets might react in strange or unexpected ways while the TX is unconfirmed. Its also easier to get compromised as there are now two systems that hold the private key in question. A single compromised private key together with your master public key can compromise all your private keys for that seed. If electrum uses hardened keys, not all, but still enough to get you into trouble.

#2 I suggest you just send a small(ish) amount from electrum to mycelium. That way you only have on your phone what you would have in a regular wallet, if its lost or stolen its not a big deal.

#3 Still wana do it? Go to https://www.bitaddress.org, download and(!) verify it. Run it locally and go to "Wallet Details" paste your private key there as electrum gives it to you and click the details button. It will show you the QR code for the private key. Make sure you use the compressed or uncompressed as needed.
Thanks shorena for the very detailed answer Grin
after hearing what you said im just gonna go with 2nd suggestion Wink
I don't want strange things happening to my bitcoins Roll Eyes
Once again, thank you very much Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: