Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:56:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Avalon 6 Miner - Winter Mining - Notlist3d - Also FAQ and Help  (Read 79109 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 06:14:54 AM

If someone needs it to be even quieter i think there is a possibility adding a fan in the front to push air through might help, and take regular fan that pulls from 20 percent to 10.

I have not seen anyone do it yet but i think putting fan's in a push/pull has some possibilities as far as going even more quiet.

I don't think add push/pull would help in any meaningful way - keep in mind that it just increases static pressure, not CFM, and the design of the Avalon is pretty free flowing (as opposed to the S7, which is a dogs lunch inside and NEED static pressure in order to overcome all the turbulence).  If you're looking for some minor gains, then one thing you can do is remove the hexagon cover on the front of the device - it doesn't do anything than look cool and restrict airflow, so one of the first things I did was pop them off.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 06:54:24 AM

If someone needs it to be even quieter i think there is a possibility adding a fan in the front to push air through might help, and take regular fan that pulls from 20 percent to 10.

I have not seen anyone do it yet but i think putting fan's in a push/pull has some possibilities as far as going even more quiet.

I don't think add push/pull would help in any meaningful way - keep in mind that it just increases static pressure, not CFM, and the design of the Avalon is pretty free flowing (as opposed to the S7, which is a dogs lunch inside and NEED static pressure in order to overcome all the turbulence).  If you're looking for some minor gains, then one thing you can do is remove the hexagon cover on the front of the device - it doesn't do anything than look cool and restrict airflow, so one of the first things I did was pop them off.

Some were reporting faster speeds with fan at lower level.  I was just thinking add another fan that is molex or something and not controlled by fan level on software, possibly faster speed without losing coolness.  So it's not so much as a improvement of push/pull as much as keeping what you have with being able to lower fan level.

On a side note it really does work good for heat.  I think I will be moving it out of my room tomorrow.  Temperature went up a bit and it seems to be heating my room pretty good.   There is also a projector in my room that put's out a little free heat.  But the Avalon 6 is most of it.   So those looking for free heat I can vouch this unit will do it.
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 09:07:34 AM

+1 my living room is a steady 68f, not too shabby Smiley
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 09:43:13 AM

Anyone have a Raspberry PI Zero? - http://www.adafruit.com/products/2885

I'm curious to see if it might be able to be a controller.   Seems petty close to the B models as far as specs.  Just much smaller and only 5 bucks.   Just would be fun to see if it would work.

Either way guess I have a new toy to try to find Smiley.  I saw some in stock but I really want the 5 dollar without all the add-ons, as I think I have most of what I need in my parts.
cloh76

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 10:07:50 AM

In terms of Noise and dB - Is it the same as an avalon 4.1?  How about a Bitmain S3?

a bit worse then the s3

db's are in the higher 50's

it is a decent piece of gear and for my setup it is better then the s-7

I think I am going to send my two s-7's to sidehack for hosting.

Then add more avalon 6s for my garage.

Hmm.  Thanks.  Guess I wont be able to place these at the office like the S3s and Avalon 4.1s

[ BTC Donations: 13RNJdT72WEd1FsT3CwdJ6jy9NAa7Hsb54 ]
boomertoo

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 01:39:52 PM

Question : to anyone that gets just miner does it come with all the plugs needed to plug into my own PI or do i need to buy one of there USB converters when i buy this miner ? .i have three PI's one banana pi and cubieboard pi . why spend 75 $ for another kit, when i have all i need but the miner Smiley .

The spending would be if you need a Raspberry PI model B or B+.  It is a very nice plug and play if you don't have a RPI.  BlockC did a great job on the fresh image with dhcp making it easy to setup.   

If you already have the Raspberry PI model B or B+ then you are set.  I uploaded the image so you can load it and have a very quick install.  With miner comes the usb adapter that connects to the Avalon6.  And if you are running more then one you can use the wire to go from one Avalon 6 to the next.  So it essentially can make a chain of them which is a nice option.

Will it work with the pi 2 ?
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 02:41:13 PM

I'm curious to see if it might be able to be a controller.   Seems petty close to the B models as far as specs.  Just much smaller and only 5 bucks.   Just would be fun to see if it would work.

Either way guess I have a new toy to try to find Smiley.  I saw some in stock but I really want the 5 dollar without all the add-ons, as I think I have most of what I need in my parts.

It may well work, but at that price best way is to buy and try. A problem that I can see is that there is no Ethernet, which for me would be a show stopper.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 05:16:45 PM

Question : to anyone that gets just miner does it come with all the plugs needed to plug into my own PI or do i need to buy one of there USB converters when i buy this miner ? .i have three PI's one banana pi and cubieboard pi . why spend 75 $ for another kit, when i have all i need but the miner Smiley .

The spending would be if you need a Raspberry PI model B or B+.  It is a very nice plug and play if you don't have a RPI.  BlockC did a great job on the fresh image with dhcp making it easy to setup.   

If you already have the Raspberry PI model B or B+ then you are set.  I uploaded the image so you can load it and have a very quick install.  With miner comes the usb adapter that connects to the Avalon6.  And if you are running more then one you can use the wire to go from one Avalon 6 to the next.  So it essentially can make a chain of them which is a nice option.

Will it work with the pi 2 ?

Out of curosity how many pages did you skip did you read the front page?

But it is Thanksgiving so I wont make you read the review... the most important part of thread.. but currently RPI 2 is not supported.  Model's B and B+ are supported.
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 08:53:32 PM

Firmware questions:

1) As shown in Notlist3d's screen shots, the current delivered A6 firmware rev is: 601510-afa837a0. This is also the rev in the unit I have.

2) As pointed out by Mr. Ma, there are at least 2 firmware rev's beyond this one: https://ehash.com/

Question for the distributors, are A6 owners out of warranty if we don't have the latest firmware rev on our machines?
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 09:51:03 PM

Firmware questions:

1) As shown in Notlist3d's screen shots, the current delivered A6 firmware rev is: 601510-afa837a0. This is also the rev in the unit I have.

2) As pointed out by Mr. Ma, there are at least 2 firmware rev's beyond this one: https://ehash.com/

Question for the distributors, are A6 owners out of warranty if we don't have the latest firmware rev on our machines?

You would need to contact BlockC or Ehash depending on where you got it.  But I cannot imagine not having latest firmware effecting warranty.

Reading through warranty it's actually much better then most.  They even are still valid if sold to someone else as long as it's in the timeframe for warranty.  Bitmain if you sell it the warranty is gone it does not transfer.
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 05:34:02 AM

I'm curious to see if it might be able to be a controller.   Seems petty close to the B models as far as specs.  Just much smaller and only 5 bucks.   Just would be fun to see if it would work.

Either way guess I have a new toy to try to find Smiley.  I saw some in stock but I really want the 5 dollar without all the add-ons, as I think I have most of what I need in my parts.

If you want something that will blow the socks off specs speed and then some you should look at the ODRIOD been around for as long as Rasbery pi have and not well known as PI but their massively higher in spec.

The Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP) Octa Core Linux Computer
Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex-A15 2.0Ghz quad core and Cortex-A7 quad core
Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host, Gigabit Ethernet port
XUbuntu 15.04 or Android 4.4 Operating System
Size : 82 x 58 x 22 mm approx(including cooling fan)

$74.00
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

Once I got my funds sorted out am going to be buying one as was looking at their ODROID-XU3 unit but now discontinued due to the ODROID-XU4 coming out and lot better.

Am looking to maybe make a farm with using them and some pic to usb converters for gpu mining and then look at farm for maybe some of the new avalon units or bitmain if the prices come down enough and also power use reduces on new revisions of them. Hows the mining been working on the Avalon 6 you braking any profit in the market on them or just used as hobby and a nice winter warmer Tongue

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 06:37:59 PM

I'm curious to see if it might be able to be a controller.   Seems petty close to the B models as far as specs.  Just much smaller and only 5 bucks.   Just would be fun to see if it would work.

Either way guess I have a new toy to try to find Smiley.  I saw some in stock but I really want the 5 dollar without all the add-ons, as I think I have most of what I need in my parts.

If you want something that will blow the socks off specs speed and then some you should look at the ODRIOD been around for as long as Rasbery pi have and not well known as PI but their massively higher in spec.

The Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP) Octa Core Linux Computer
Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex-A15 2.0Ghz quad core and Cortex-A7 quad core
Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host, Gigabit Ethernet port
XUbuntu 15.04 or Android 4.4 Operating System
Size : 82 x 58 x 22 mm approx(including cooling fan)

$74.00
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

Once I got my funds sorted out am going to be buying one as was looking at their ODROID-XU3 unit but now discontinued due to the ODROID-XU4 coming out and lot better.

Am looking to maybe make a farm with using them and some pic to usb converters for gpu mining and then look at farm for maybe some of the new avalon units or bitmain if the prices come down enough and also power use reduces on new revisions of them. Hows the mining been working on the Avalon 6 you braking any profit in the market on them or just used as hobby and a nice winter warmer Tongue

Intersting device does appear to have a decent amount of power.  I don't think they will be designing a firmware for it.  Eventually I think there will be a RPI 2 firmware..

But in all honestly a RPI B/B+ is a great controller already does not take much more that.   I have not had any issues on Avalon 6 using it.  And have had 4.1's using them for a long time at this.  Again no issues.   
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 07:18:00 PM

How do you connect the small piece to the miner for micro USB cable from RPi? Am I missing an adapter here?

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 08:43:33 PM

How do you connect the small piece to the miner for micro USB cable from RPi? Am I missing an adapter here?

I don't see the cables in above picture.  There is one that goes from that piece to the RPI or controller it's just a usb cable, I need to look at mine to see if it is micro or mini usb.  But it is nothing special.

The other cable that black connector to miner is a special cable that you should have gotten with purchase, if you did not it's missing it and you should contact seller.   It a special cable that can connect from usb to miner piece, or it can go from 1 miner to another to daisy chain them.

I have never had to order the other cable by itself.  Has anyone got it from a source that is not seller on cable? 
hawkfish007

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 08:56:16 PM

I don't see the cables in above picture.  There is one that goes from that piece to the RPI or controller it's just a usb cable, I need to look at mine to see if it is micro or mini usb.  But it is nothing special.

The other cable that black connector to miner is a special cable that you should have gotten with purchase, if you did not it's missing it and you should contact seller.   It a special cable that can connect from usb to miner piece, or it can go from 1 miner to another to daisy chain them.

I have never had to order the other cable by itself.  Has anyone got it from a source that is not seller on cable? 

I am definitely missing the cable then, they sent me 2 USB to microusb cables and that small piece that doesn't fit anywhere. Left a message and emailed zoom hash, seems like nobody is at their office today  Sad

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 09:04:44 PM

I am definitely missing the cable then, they sent me 2 USB to microusb cables and that small piece that doesn't fit anywhere. Left a message and emailed zoom hash, seems like nobody is at their office today  Sad

With it being Thanksgiving weekend I suspect it will take longer then normal.  But I would ask them first for the cable it sucks to wait on a cable but hopefully you can get them to ship one out soon.  I would check shipping box just to make sure it did not fall to bottom or something.

Does anyone know of a source of these cables besides through Avalon sellers?
OregonMines.com

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

OregonMines Official Account

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2015, 09:21:21 PM

Send me a PM with your serial number and we can get you one out today.

OregonMines - Co-located Hosting of Bitcoin and GPU miners. https://www.oregonmines.com - S9 @ $100 / mo, L3+ @ $70 / mo , 4U GPU units start @ $100 / mo in co-location fees. No setup fees. Limited space available today!
hawkfish007

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 09:36:54 PM

PM sent, I couldn't find the serial number or don't know where to look, I sent a picture of the label.

Thanks.

hawkfish007

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 10:28:09 PM

PM sent, I couldn't find the serial number or don't know where to look, I sent a picture of the label.

Thanks.

Just wanted to share my experience here, Tom @ Oregonmines was kind enough to mail me missing cables free of charge even though miner was purchased from Zoomhash.

Thanks again.

rockyforever

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2015, 10:38:57 PM

Purchased an A6 today. can't to test things out on it. Another heater for the winter in the house

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: