Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:57:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington Post: "You can now pay with Bitcoin practically anywhere"  (Read 2827 times)
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 10:50:51 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/11/20/bitcoin-just-got-a-lot-easier-to-use/

Under construction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 10:53:44 AM

Wired: "Coinbase Just Debuted the First Bitcoin Debit Card in the US"

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/coinbase-unveils-countrys-first-bitcoin-debit-card/

Under construction.
hf100

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 10:59:50 AM

The headline is misleading. It's a bitcoin debit card only available for residents of some american states. The EU is discussing cracking down on virtual currencies and prepaid cards, so I doubt it's going to be offered to EU citizens. Besides, bitcoin debit cards are nothing new, a number of exchanges were already offering them but with high fees.

There is a catch: The card is currently only available to residents of Alabama, Arizona, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia and the District of Columbia. That's two-dozen regions in all.

LISK    Develop Decentralized Applications & Sidechains in JavaScript with Lisk!
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 11:06:03 AM

The headline is misleading. It's a bitcoin debit card only available for residents of some american states.

OK, perhaps the title is a little misleading, but that's more than half the pop of the US, not just some states.

Under construction.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 11:06:25 AM

Well, no, you can't. The regulation is too strong in a lot of places to allow you to freely walk around using a Bitcoin debit card for every single purchase, in fact a lot of large purchases can't be made with them due to limits. This will only really be true if deregulation occurs or a lot more places accept Bitcoin directly.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 11:22:46 AM

The headline is misleading. It's a bitcoin debit card only available for residents of some american states. The EU is discussing cracking down on virtual currencies and prepaid cards, so I doubt it's going to be offered to EU citizens. Besides, bitcoin debit cards are nothing new, a number of exchanges were already offering them but with high fees.
-snip-
There's not much really that they can do about it. This is just the manipulation coming from both the ones who control the governments and media. This could be added to the list of attempts to kill Bitcoin, so nothing surprising there. However, Bitcoin still needs more merchant adoption if you ask me. You can pay practically anywhere with a Debit card, but not with just Bitcoins and there's a difference there.

This will only really be true if deregulation occurs or a lot more places accept Bitcoin directly.
I concur.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
MaxTax

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 11:47:46 AM

The title is indeed misleading, but I guess they only think that Americans read the Washington post.

If this would ever come out worldwide, I would get it

It would come in handy because almost every store or shop accepts Visa cards
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 11:49:55 AM

The title is indeed misleading, but I guess they only think that Americans read the Washington post.

If this would ever come out worldwide, I would get it

It would come in handy because almost every store or shop accepts Visa cards

Still, even in the USA it's not possible to pay with Bitcoin practically everywhere. It isn't possible for residents in every single state to acquire a Bitcoin Visa debit card due to the regulations regarding them, and even if they do they often have limits that usually don't go fully away even if you do all of the verification that you possibly can.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Coin Republic

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 12:01:55 PM

With debit card from Coinbase, it means bitcoin is not anonymous any more if you use the card with the bitcoin you own.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 12:10:52 PM

Well this could actually already be done since the launch of the other debit cards but I guess this is the first card to be released or to be availabel to US citizens.

From what I read it seems like this Shift plans on connecting to more wallets and not just Coinbase. Would be interesting to see with who else they partner up.

But now a company called Shift wants to make it easier to pay with bitcoins, whether you're on the Internet or off. The payments firm has rolled out a debit card that's capable of connecting to the account where you store your bitcoins, such as Coinbase.
HostSurf

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 12:57:00 PM

Doesn't this make bitcoin not so anonymous anymore? I think you'd have to give up some of your info to get the Visa card. Unless it works like a Visa prepaid card.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 01:36:57 PM

I don't get why this is exciting or news. You can already spend bitcoin anywhere on the entire planet by selling it for local currency first.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:25:35 PM

This is actually a very nice title as the avarage joe will just read that it is now easy to use bitcoin for them.

Easy is the key word here, as people may now look into how they can start using bitcoin as it is suggested to cost little offort now.
Pierre 2
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1357

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:29:40 PM

We see bitcoin news in mainstream media at least once a week nowadays.
I don't think it is big but it is good enough.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:36:20 PM

I agree with the misleading title part. And there are many solutions like so on the market for quite a few time... Why weren't all of them news? Roll Eyes
OrientA

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:38:10 PM

I don't get why this is exciting or news. You can already spend bitcoin anywhere on the entire planet by selling it for local currency first.

With bitcoin credit card, you can use the bitcoin directly, without changing it to fiat first. It is very convenient for bitcoin owners. This is part of effort to make bitcoin useful for purchasing.
If there are discount or cash back (bitcoin) for card holders, it is even better.
PAKYU

Activity: 400

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:47:35 PM

The headline is misleading. It's a bitcoin debit card only available for residents of some american states.

OK, perhaps the title is a little misleading, but that's more than half the pop of the US, not just some states.

exaggerate as usual to attract more readers nope. thanks for sharing this !
target
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1041

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:52:55 PM

it helped the popularity of btc though.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 04:08:52 PM

This isn't going to help me much, as many shops I'm going to regularly do not accept credit cards. By the way, is that card anonymous? I like the idea of BTC to fiat conversion, but it can only be useful to people who have an income in BTC. If you exchange fiat to BTC, then BTC to fiat, you lose.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 04:15:01 PM

Anywhere?

-----------------------------

There is a catch: The card is currently only available to residents of Alabama, Arizona, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia and the District of Columbia. That's two-dozen regions in all.

-----------------------------

I feel that bitcoins can be used in many places in US which is good in a way but for me, I can't use bitcoins anywhere except on few apps where I can buy gift cards. But now I can see so many websites accepting bitcoin donations. Recently I completed an Indian survey which asked me about bitcoins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: