Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:49:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Story of Your Enslavement  (Read 2371 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 12:42:46 AM

You hit the argument to the video head on.  The libertarian/anarchistic moral structure is that it is better to solve problems with nonviolence, yet it is sometimes beneficial and more efficient to solve problems with violence.

Beneficial to whom?

I did this MRI many times and some people could grasp the concept of what to normally but some people had either a steep learning curve or they would not understand at all.  I feel that tit-for-tat has 2 flaws.

1) Some people take offence to different things.  I wanted a 50/50 split of the profits I sent to Bob, so if I sent 20 units and now Bob has 60 units, they better send me back 30 units or I will retaliate (i.e. not give them any units the next round).  I have seen people get angry with overs from what they feel is offensive as they lost face and that offence could become violent.  Humans are emotional creatures, not rational ones.

2.  If there are no repercussions then there is no fear of reprisals.  Anonymity cannot exist.  If reprisals are OK then some kind of surveillance is required to give proof, otherwise anyone can say, "this person stole my things, I get to steal there things."  It is similar to, "this person is a witch, we should burn them," when in reality the accuser is just angry at the accused.

1) cross-cultural communication has always had this sort of problem.

2) Who said anything about anonymity? Pseudonymity is sufficient.

Beneficial to the physically stronger one? I'm sure we could agree that there are some things that are more easily attainable through violence, so the question should be about the magnitude of this benefit.

Yeah... Might makes right worked so well for most of history.  Roll Eyes

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stochastic

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 08:42:51 PM

The point is, if a person does not know who to retaliate against then no retaliation can occur.  Retaliation of someone using a false name would only cause that person to lose that name.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
myrkul

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 12:54:17 AM

The point is, if a person does not know who to retaliate against then no retaliation can occur.  Retaliation of someone using a false name would only cause that person to lose that name.

Along with any reputation built up with that name. The long con, a la Pirate, is a problem, but few will have the time to invest in something like that, and no pseudonym is perfect. Just ask Trendon Shavers.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:09:45 AM

Along with any reputation built up with that name. The long con, a la Pirate, is a problem, but few will have the time to invest in something like that, and no pseudonym is perfect. Just ask Trendon Shavers.

Have you ever lived in a developing country where there is no effective market regulation (not like in Singapore or the US or even Silk Road for that matter)?

Bascially, every non-repeated txn involves either a) swindling the swindler b) being swindled. Swindling is a contest of wits. It is a big waste.

Okay you say, just make repeated txns. Well what if I want to leave my village? Then what the fuck do I do?

Okay, maybe I come from an important town or ethnic group. My town or ethnic group has enforcement associations in other communities. They will help mediate my txns. Then I can do business elsewhere.

What if I'm not lucky enough to be born somewhere important? Should I just farm my plot and stay in my village?

This is how markets were organized in China prior to the 20th century by the way. Private, nonviolent enforcement of contract law through reputation. It limited long-distance trade to people originating from a handful of famous communities. Shouldn't everyone have the right to be an entrepreneur? Why set up such an unfair playing field?

[Don't get carried away here. The state still enforced criminal law and tax payment. They just did not think commercial law was the state's business. The standard interpretation is that lack of state intervention in Chinese commerce helps explain why Western countries got rich first.]
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 10:46:04 AM

The state still enforced criminal law and tax payment. They just did not think commercial law was the state's business. The standard interpretation is that lack of state intervention in Chinese commerce helps explain why Western countries got rich first.

So then, I guess (by extension) explaining why Western countries are now the first to get poor, while China is gets rich, merely involves pointing out that Western countries no longer regulate commerce, like $600 trillion in fraudulent derivatives for instance, and instead subsidize it.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 08:20:13 PM

The state still enforced criminal law and tax payment. They just did not think commercial law was the state's business. The standard interpretation is that lack of state intervention in Chinese commerce helps explain why Western countries got rich first.

So then, I guess (by extension) explaining why Western countries are now the first to get poor, while China is gets rich, merely involves pointing out that Western countries no longer regulate commerce, like $600 trillion in fraudulent derivatives for instance, and instead subsidize it.

Subsidies are a form of regulation, if we are to understand that regulation means third-party intervention in other people's affairs.  They're just a form of UP-regulation (incentive) rather than DOWN-regulation (threat of punishment).  Just because the activity in question is regulated to generate MORE fraud, doesn't mean that the activity isn't being regulated.

Meddling in other people's affairs ALWAYS brings unintended consequences.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 10:05:06 PM

Subsidies are a form of regulation

Not legally.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Rudd-O

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 12:07:43 AM

Subsidies are a form of regulation

Not legally.

Yeah, I was talking about concepts derived from reality, not about what holy pieces of paper say.
tbdunamis

Activity: 33

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 03:08:55 AM

We are enslaved by fear and doubt.  It's what makes us human.  We must find love to be free.  We must find the truth.

Wait a minute.  Wasn't there someone who made a promise that you shall know the truth, and that the truth shall make you free?
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 01:24:03 AM

We are enslaved by fear and doubt.  It's what makes us human.  We must find love to be free.  We must find the truth.

Wait a minute.  Wasn't there someone who made a promise that you shall know the truth, and that the truth shall make you free?

Chuck Norris?
sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 07:31:33 AM

I liked this video. Definitely a bit dark when you consider it, and it's not the whole picture. But it does give a good outlook into governments, freedom, and taxation (whether enslavement, 100% tax, or any tax less than that).

I thought the bit saying "the smallest governments end up the largest" was very intruiging, and potentially partly true.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: