Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:47:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know what's going on with 42coin? (Showing 52 current supply)  (Read 841 times)
CoinaDay (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 06:00:05 AM

It's showing a current supply of 52 on http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/42-coin/ and http://42.blockexp.info/ ; now, I'm no expert, but my understanding was that 42coin was supposed to have, well, 42 coins max...so...what the fuck happened? Anyone? I'm really curious. Seems like it'll make for another interesting story of fuckery one way or another.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Griffith
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:08:34 AM

more than likely they the person who made the coin thought they had a limit of 42 but only set the transaction limit to 42 and the actual coin limit is higher. i can take a look in a second then edit this post

edit: i didnt have to look for more than 10 seconds... lol. on the github there was a merge commit on the 23rd of september (2015) where they actually set a hard limit to mining so that it fixes the max coin to 42.

https://github.com/fourtytwo42/42/commit/10247d029446163dfe3fa896b0747d5e21d8037c

however... since they are already well over 42 coins... there is no limit on the coins and the only way to fix this is to roll back the blockchain like 400,000 blocks.

so this coin is fucked on the only 42 coins principle.

tbh a lot of coin "devs" forget to put a limit on mining or staking so this will probably start to happen to a lot of poorly made clones in the future. i think 42 coin is just one of the first to actually hit the "max coin" number and have it fail
CoinaDay (OP)

Activity: 41

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 09:49:24 PM

That is the kludgiest, most hilarious fix ever. "Ooops, in this block we reached max supply; let's just stop now" Yeeeah, that's going to work.  Grin I bought about 0.1 42 around 4.2 BTC and just finally got (almost) fully out recently around 2 BTC or less. My own fault for thinking the original devs might've been mildly competent I suppose...like, you had one job guys...
sirslayer

Activity: 540
Merit: 501

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 12:22:21 AM

i complained and many others were concerned about the forked block which my understanding occurred after the 42th coin was created but IDK but the end results came out good . Honestly I really liked the idea that more coins are made since if you ever mined 42coins,that they are very easy requirements (today a 500mhz scrypt miner is required to be profitable but that can change??)  and predictable since it took 4 months to produce 10 coins  and very fast transactions which Bitcoin  lacks .  The market price increased in the last month shows its a contender still and only thing I can say negative about the coin is that Cryptsy is where it survives and trades and Cryptsy is having issues right now..  Cryptsy might make or break 42coin
CoinHawk

Activity: 40

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 09:25:38 AM

Here is my take on 42coin. The developer Hendo420....I don't know what this guy is going but he is wasting an opportunity with this coin. Whether it gets back to just 42 coins or not, it can STILL be a major player if it gets cleaned up. The math is there on this coin. Its what...at 52 as of right now? And there is what...14 million bitcoins at the moment? That's still about 270,000 to 1. Now, consider LTC relative strength is about 100-1. It currently has about the same amount mined as well. Now I'm not saying 42 should have the same strength as LTC. Lets go big here to show just how out of whack this current market is for 42. Lets say 42's relative strength is 10,000 to 1 BTC. That is 1000 times less "relevant" than LTC. Id say that is beyond generous considering the name recognition this coin had at one point. at 10,000 to 1 BTC we should still be looking at a price of roughly 27 to 1 BTC right now. Its currently in the mid 2 to 3's.

Just as a frame of reference, I will use Dogecoin. Using the same algorithm, Dogecoin is only about 426-1 BTC. Im using 10,000 to 1 BTC as a basis for 42. There is SO much upside to this coin if a few people get their act together.
c0ffer

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

Gems:Crypto

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 07:36:50 PM

more than likely they the person who made the coin thought they had a limit of 42 but only set the transaction limit to 42 and the actual coin limit is higher. i can take a look in a second then edit this post

edit: i didnt have to look for more than 10 seconds... lol. on the github there was a merge commit on the 23rd of september (2015) where they actually set a hard limit to mining so that it fixes the max coin to 42.

There is a bigger general failure on many levels if this was the first time the limit on the coin count has been discovered.

When this coin was released did no other person look at the code and determine if the count could go above 42? That's the point of open-source wallets.

Although it is also common for people to (incorrectly) think the transaction limit is the coin limit.

CryptoCurrency for Gemstones ... Website | Main Thread  -  c0c0 Trading on YoBit
hdmediaservices

Activity: 630
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 10:51:45 PM

Ok - seriously -- did people actually believe that this coin was going to stop at 42?

I mean it is hard to believe anything that anyone says about any coin.  None of these coins serve any purpose, but to mine and then convert to BTC in the end.

megges

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:01:28 PM

https://github.com/fourtytwo42/42/commit/10247d029446163dfe3fa896b0747d5e21d8037c

however... since they are already well over 42 coins... there is no limit on the coins and the only way to fix this is to roll back the blockchain like 400,000 blocks.

so this coin is fucked on the only 42 coins principle.

tbh a lot of coin "devs" forget to put a limit on mining or staking so this will probably start to happen to a lot of poorly made clones in the future. i think 42 coin is just one of the first to actually hit the "max coin" number and have it fail

yep, its not the only coin which has this "problem" ... they just set the "max transfer limit", but this does not stop mining!

tip me! Tongue XtSrWch1U3BsTBFBHj7acTTzxFo1fy5BMa
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:20:11 AM

why the sudden interest in 42?
another '42 discussion' thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1262455.0

coin has some merit but needs a dev before it can move forward, plus old abandoning dev returned to do nothing more than lock the old OP thread, so a ship without Capt.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 08:24:18 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2015, 01:57:05 PM by Spoetnik

This 42 coin fail is worse than when i got a cheeseburger at McDonalds and they forgot the beef patty.
I swear to god that happened too !
I got Trolled by Ronald McDonald LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
megges

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:19:28 AM

This 42 coin fail is worse than when i got a cheeseburger at McDonalds and they forgot the beef patty.
I swear to god that happened too !
I got Trolled by Ronald McDonald LOL

bit offtopic, but yeah i got almost the same experience @mcdonalds some time ago, but it was not missing the beef, it was missing one of the two bun halves, even more epic i guess XD

tip me! Tongue XtSrWch1U3BsTBFBHj7acTTzxFo1fy5BMa
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: