Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:13:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Mining is killing my lightbulbs  (Read 1710 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 05:00:45 PM

Just buy LED lights online, they last super long and should be immune to this. They are around 4$ a bulb, $3.50 online with free shipping.

I suggested the same thing.  I think try one and see how it goes.  The LED use a very very small amount of electricity.  I don't see them being killed, but I would start with one just in case.

And if your electricity does kill a LED bulb honestly I would get a electrician.  It is not normal to kill lightbulbs with only pulling 1k watts on same circuit.  So having him/her look at the wiring and circuit breaker might be good if you do kill a LED.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 05:34:15 PM

Just buy LED lights online, they last super long and should be immune to this. They are around 4$ a bulb, $3.50 online with free shipping.

I suggested the same thing.  I think try one and see how it goes.  The LED use a very very small amount of electricity.  I don't see them being killed, but I would start with one just in case.

And if your electricity does kill a LED bulb honestly I would get a electrician.  It is not normal to kill lightbulbs with only pulling 1k watts on same circuit.  So having him/her look at the wiring and circuit breaker might be good if you do kill a LED.

either way i would, it shouldn't being doing it in first place unless hes overloading it, drawing to much , then he needs to balance it out. follow the wires some how make sure there not getting hot etc. feel the breaker if it's even warm there might be a problem.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
westom

Activity: 61
Merit: 5

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 01:45:56 AM

I tried different brands of light bulbs. The cheap dollar store ones and Phillips/GE they all last the same amount.
  Are bulbs incandescent or CFL?  This will assume incandescent.  Bulb life expectancy is determined only by two electrical factors - hours of operation and voltage (temperature).  127 volts on 120 volt circuits means a bulb will burn out twice as fast.  A mining computer will only lower or leave unchanged voltage.  That will either increase or leave unchanged a bulb's life expectancy.

So, does bulb intensity change when computers power cycle?  Only that (and measured voltage) indicates anything electrical that affects bulb life expectancy.

A second mechanical factor applies.  If bulbs are powered when, for example, something falls on the above floor, then that vibration can harm a bulb's filament.

Nothing in software affects bulbs.  Bulb life expectancy only decreases when voltage increases.  Short term voltage increases are indicated by changing intensity.  Constantly too high voltage is identified by measuring either with a digital meter or a 'Kill A Watt'.
ShrykeZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 01:55:49 AM

As others have suggested try out LEDs, used to have a dimming effect come into play with standard cheap bulbs but since switching over to LEDs I believe it is resolved, can't be 100% certain although I have not noticed any dimming for the past 4 months.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 03:22:45 AM

As others have suggested try out LEDs, used to have a dimming effect come into play with standard cheap bulbs but since switching over to LEDs I believe it is resolved, can't be 100% certain although I have not noticed any dimming for the past 4 months.

And the more I think about this one the more I wonder if something bigger is wrong.  It just is not normal to kill light bulbs because of 1k watt miner assuming decent wiring, and breaker is decent.  LED likely will be a fix... but I wonder underlining cause.

Honestly you might think about getting a electrician even if the LED fixes it.  I would ask them to check gauge of wire, make sure it still seems to be of ok quality and no issues.   Really open up the breaker box and look at what's behind the metal front (I dont suggest doing this on your own if not use to electricity and don't have power to house off.  The main can be a scary thing on amount of electricity).

You can run some things yourself like checking circuit - http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Outlet-Tester/dp/B000RUL2UU/ .  That  is kinda a DIY version a electrician will be much better on that. 
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 06:56:32 AM

I don't think the LEDs will help because in one room I have those IKEA lights and they use a 35Watt halogen bulb and they flicker also during block changes.

Pretty sure nothing is wrong with the electrical. Its just in-rush current kind of like when starting a large motor or washing machine. 1000W is considered a pretty large load. Maybe a surge protector can suppress this.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 06:59:15 AM

I don't think the LEDs will help because in one room I have those IKEA lights and they use a 35Watt halogen bulb and they flicker also during block changes.

Pretty sure nothing is wrong with the electrical. Its just in-rush current kind of like when starting a large motor or washing machine. 1000W is considered a pretty large load. Maybe a surge protector can suppress this.

110 or 120 though should be able to handle 1k watts pretty easily.   It is a lot of power but it should not be a game stopper unless you have a lot of other items or some high wattage items on same circuit.

But 1k watts is not horrible as far as load it should be able to handle it.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2015, 09:05:43 AM

For everyone that replied.

I tried different brands of light bulbs. The cheap dollar store ones and Phillips/GE they all last the same amount.

I am pulling around only 1000Watts or so.

LED is very expensive and if mining kills those LEDs then its going to get very expensive.

Besides buying expensive surge protectors, is there any software method to fix this?

Have you tried measuring what voltage the loop with your light bulbs has ended up at? Also, LEDs? They'll have 5-20x the MTBF and likely actionable warranties.

westom

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 02:47:27 PM

Pretty sure nothing is wrong with the electrical. Its just in-rush current kind of like when starting a large motor or washing machine.
Your circuits, if properly wired, should handle 1000 watts easily.  Otherwise even a clothes iron could not work.

A large inrush current does not cause a voltage increase (if wiring is correct).  It would cause a voltage reduction.  A voltage reduction means longer bulb life expectancy.  Your conclusion contradicts your observation.

Recommended was what you should do.  Since if that load creates a higher voltage, then you have a serious human safety problem.

LEDs would not address the reason for a high voltage that causes premature bulb failure.  A serious human safety issue might explain it.  Never fix a problem by ignoring the reason for that problem.  Always first understand a problem before solving it.  This one is so simple IF some a minute of labor results in some useful numbers.

adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 03:27:52 PM

For everyone that replied.

I am pulling around only 1000Watts or so.

LED is very expensive and if mining kills those LEDs then its going to get very expensive.

Besides buying expensive surge protectors, is there any software method to fix this?

Have you tried measuring what voltage the loop with your light bulbs has ended up at? Also, LEDs? They'll have 5-20x the MTBF and likely actionable warranties.

Yes they are all around 121 Volts or so.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 03:30:16 PM

Pretty sure nothing is wrong with the electrical. Its just in-rush current kind of like when starting a large motor or washing machine.
Your circuits, if properly wired, should handle 1000 watts easily.  Otherwise even a clothes iron could not work.

A large inrush current does not cause a voltage increase (if wiring is correct).  It would cause a voltage reduction.  A voltage reduction means longer bulb life expectancy.  Your conclusion contradicts your observation.

Recommended was what you should do.  Since if that load creates a higher voltage, then you have a serious human safety problem.

LEDs would not address the reason for a high voltage that causes premature bulb failure.  A serious human safety issue might explain it.  Never fix a problem by ignoring the reason for that problem.  Always first understand a problem before solving it.  This one is so simple IF some a minute of labor results in some useful numbers.

Voltage reduction for a split second won't increase the life of the light bulbs.

When there is a voltage reduction every few minutes or so, its like turning the light bulbs on and off. The on and off turning is what causes the filament to degrade and the life expectacy is decreased.

I am thinking that the voltage might be a little too high and that's what causes this issue. Aren't most places around 115Volts ?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
westom

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 04:12:38 PM

When there is a voltage reduction every few minutes or so, its like turning the light bulbs on and off. The on and off turning is what causes the filament to degrade and the life expectacy is decreased.
  That is exactly what does not happen.  Power cycling does not harm any incandescent bulb.  Again, summarized from the industry 'bible' are the only things that reduce bulb life expectancy.

Bulbs changing intensity with a 1000 watt load suggests a wiring problem.  Critical is to identify intensity changes on that circuit AND on any other circuit.  Since in most cases, that wiring problem is only a nuisance.  But in some rare cases, it is a serious human safety issue.

AC voltage is 120 volts.  If voltage is constantly exceeding 127 volts, then bulbs are brighter and last only half as long.  But again, what is changing intensity and how (dimmer or brighter) are critically important facts.  Do not make conclusions based in speculation.  You do not know yet what is causing bulb failure.  Dimming would only increase bulb life expectancy (irrelevant if by a lot or a little). Dimming (and power cycling) does not shorten the life expectancy of any incandescent bulb.

Also discussed was damage due to vibration - such as someone walking across the upstairs floor.
ShrykeZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 02:14:26 AM

And the more I think about this one the more I wonder if something bigger is wrong.  It just is not normal to kill light bulbs because of 1k watt miner assuming decent wiring, and breaker is decent.  LED likely will be a fix... but I wonder underlining cause.

Honestly you might think about getting a electrician even if the LED fixes it.  I would ask them to check gauge of wire, make sure it still seems to be of ok quality and no issues.   Really open up the breaker box and look at what's behind the metal front (I dont suggest doing this on your own if not use to electricity and don't have power to house off.  The main can be a scary thing on amount of electricity).

You can run some things yourself like checking circuit - http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Outlet-Tester/dp/B000RUL2UU/ .  That  is kinda a DIY version a electrician will be much better on that. 

Honestly it highly likely is my wiring / electrical setup, this house is very old and I don't think the electric systems have been looked at for a very long time.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: