Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:13:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt 11.1 Obsolete??  (Read 806 times)
os2sam (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 07:24:33 PM

My Bitcoin client 11.1 is telling me it's obsolete and to upgrade.  Why is the relatively current client obsolete?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2015, 08:16:20 PM

My Bitcoin client 11.1 is telling me it's obsolete and to upgrade.  Why is the relatively current client obsolete?
It shouldn't be telling you that. There is no current warning out there. The only thing that I can think of that would cause this warning is that somehow you ended up on a fork of the blockchain.

os2sam (OP)
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 08:30:17 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2015, 08:51:49 PM by os2sam

My Bitcoin client 11.1 is telling me it's obsolete and to upgrade.  Why is the relatively current client obsolete?
It shouldn't be telling you that. There is no current warning out there. The only thing that I can think of that would cause this warning is that somehow you ended up on a fork of the blockchain.

How would I go about verifying that?  And what should I do about it you think?

Edit: I shut down the client and restarted it and now the warning message is no longer there.  Doesn't give me warm fuzzy feeling though.

I thought only a very small number of devs had the means of sending a warning like that?

achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2015, 08:52:38 PM

My Bitcoin client 11.1 is telling me it's obsolete and to upgrade.  Why is the relatively current client obsolete?

Check the highest block you have and the block hashes. Make sure that they match the blocks at block explorers like blockr.io blocktrail.com and blockchain.info. If it doesn't something is wrong and you will need to resync. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Edit: just found out why. Read this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/363szi/bitcoin_core_09x_error_message_warning_this/. It still applies to this. Upgrade to 0.11.2 since the new blocks are version 4 blocks to enable OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY. Those v4 blocks are only supported with 0.11.2 and 0.10.4 as of now.

os2sam (OP)
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 09:04:11 PM

Check the highest block you have and the block hashes. Make sure that they match the blocks at block explorers like blockr.io blocktrail.com and blockchain.info. If it doesn't something is wrong and you will need to resync. Otherwise, I have no idea.

I ran "getblockchaininfo" and the last block and the hash matched what blockchain.info had.  But this is after restarting my client and now the error is gone.
Thanks,
Sam

os2sam (OP)
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 09:05:57 PM

Edit: just found out why. Read this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/363szi/bitcoin_core_09x_error_message_warning_this/. It still applies to this. Upgrade to 0.11.2 since the new blocks are version 4 blocks to enable OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY. Those v4 blocks are only supported with 0.11.2 and 0.10.4 as of now.
Hmm.  That is talking about .9.5 but I guess it would pertain to my 11.1 version too.  But why has the warning disappeared now after the restart, I wonder?
Thanks again,
Sam

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: