Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:28:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Behaviors Lead to Gambling Addiction  (Read 3464 times)
wearepoor

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:03:47 PM

most gamblers who are hooked and addicted to gambling started to gamble and think that it is for recreation purpose... after a while, winning gives them the desire to win more and so they bet bigger and bigger amount til they were busted, then wanted to regain those loses, that's where addiction starts,..

Agreed with you, most of the people just try the gambling for entertainment and lateron gets addicted to make some quick profit. Some people gets addicted in the hope of getting rich as they think its the only shortcut to earn big mony in quick time.
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:04:23 PM

The first and the most important for me is the denial of the gambler fallacy.

It's when you refuse to admit that, whatever you do, the odds of next draw are NOT influenced by the result of the previous bet.
It makes you believe you can actually beat the banks... whereas you CAN'T!

BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 04:42:13 PM

The first and the most important for me is the denial of the gambler fallacy.

It's when you refuse to admit that, whatever you do, the odds of next draw are NOT influenced by the result of the previous bet.
It makes you believe you can actually beat the banks... whereas you CAN'T!

You are wrong on this. I am sure you could beat the house which mean that you get profit, this is proof that you already beat the bank. It doesnt mean you need to make then bankrupt that you are success but with a great profit I am sure you already beat the bank already. So this is how you see things
vendetahome

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 04:37:50 PM

I would like to get some personal opinions for a class I am taking and I would like to know what behaviors lead people to develop a gambling problem.  Some people will start gambling for fun and others will start gambling thinking they are going to strike it rich.  I would like your opinions as to why this happens. 

some just tires it for fun like you say and they like it, so they will gamble again and again each day, other when they tried, and lost their money, will be sad and want to win money back so they will try to gamble next days too, also having no hobby can lead to addiction to gambling
richmcrich

Activity: 1120
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:55:00 PM

IMO it's trying to chase back to the point of start, Even if you ended with some profit the desire to play "and hence it being an addiction" mostly overcome the person and force them to play again, that increase the addiction and IMO the way people get addicted to gambling.
HostSurf

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 02:28:08 PM

I think people who gamble only think about the winnings and chances they get to win. They don't think about the consequences that comes after losing. They don't realize what they are doing until they are actually losing and by that time they just wanna continue placing bets because they get another chance to win their losses back.
JasonXG

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 05:53:32 PM

I would like to get some personal opinions for a class I am taking and I would like to know what behaviors lead people to develop a gambling problem.  Some people will start gambling for fun and others will start gambling thinking they are going to strike it rich.  I would like your opinions as to why this happens. 

Well it is a personality trait that can be passed down in your gene pool. I have an addictive personality which is why I have to be very careful how I gamble and always use a small bankroll to begin with or I may go crazy and empty the whole thing. It is like any addiction, people with addictive personalities should never abuse drugs or things like that. Which is why I'm glad I can control myself. Once I lose control that will be the end since the addiction sets in and takes over.
quentincole32

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 07:30:25 PM

if people think that gambling can make they rich,its totally wrong,gambling can make you rich in gambling industry,not in real life. i mean people rich will use their money for gambling,and ts never ending circulation.

▃▃▌▌AMBROSUS▐▐▃▃▃ - TRUSTED QUALITY OF FOOD & MEDICINE
ICO date 13 September
greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 30, 2016, 08:52:22 PM

if people think that gambling can make they rich,its totally wrong,gambling can make you rich in gambling industry,not in real life. i mean people rich will use their money for gambling,and ts never ending circulation.

Gambling can never make you rich, at the end of the day you would be holding nothing in your wallet, its only greed and habit of making quick money can make you addicted towards gambling.
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 09:23:46 PM

I think that those who have a more superstitious perception of "luck" are more inclined to become addicted to gambling than those who take a more scientific approach to the activity.  Those who approach gambling from a "gut feeling," rather than a mathematical understanding, make decisions based on the way they "feel" when they play.  That style of play results in them chasing that "feeling" as opposed to trying to maintain a state of controlled reasoning and making decisions based on sound logic.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 10:29:36 PM

I've already talked about this on another thread - I'll quote it here.

Gambling gives you high enjoyment and nerves when you are betting the highest bet compared to your old bets,  but after the enjoyment and when you loss prepare for thier anger.

After losing a big chunk of money, that's when you start to do bets that you can't even afford to lose or even go all in. You want to recover your loss in a single bet. You'll love the thrill. Then if you lose that round, you'll end up having more losses to recover. You'll try to recover your losses but you'll end up having more losses. Until you realize nothing's left in your bank account so you start to sell your stuffs. If this happens to you, then you are now addicted to gambling.
Gambling addicts are addicted more to the thrill than the money. You can try to deny this all you want, but once you've been hooked, you'll continue on no matter your bankroll unless an external force acts on you [oh, first law of motion!]

Let's suppose that you suddenly received a million dollars and you're a gambler. Let's suppose that your goal was to reach a million dollars through gambling. Okay, you're there. But why does it feel unfulfilling? You want more. Greed drives you senselessly, or so you think. The real allure to gambling is the thrill. Without any loss, there is no more intensity.

Essentially, you're addicted to... losing.

But let me continue.

Many would deny the fact that they are addicted to gambling even though they truly are. Why? Denial allows for more excuses to gamble in the first place.
"I'm gambling for fun".
"It's not about the money."

Despite it all, both of those phrases ARE true. The dopamine levels in your system increase, of course, when you are gambling purely for the thrill. Normally, people initially enter the hobby of gambling for the money, but slowly, they start coming back not for money but for the enjoyment of the game itself.

Rationalize.

Also, several experiments were done in relation to gambling.

Check out this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_gambling_task

cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2016, 10:52:39 PM

I've already talked about this on another thread - I'll quote it here.

Gambling gives you high enjoyment and nerves when you are betting the highest bet compared to your old bets,  but after the enjoyment and when you loss prepare for thier anger.

After losing a big chunk of money, that's when you start to do bets that you can't even afford to lose or even go all in. You want to recover your loss in a single bet. You'll love the thrill. Then if you lose that round, you'll end up having more losses to recover. You'll try to recover your losses but you'll end up having more losses. Until you realize nothing's left in your bank account so you start to sell your stuffs. If this happens to you, then you are now addicted to gambling.
Gambling addicts are addicted more to the thrill than the money. You can try to deny this all you want, but once you've been hooked, you'll continue on no matter your bankroll unless an external force acts on you [oh, first law of motion!]

Let's suppose that you suddenly received a million dollars and you're a gambler. Let's suppose that your goal was to reach a million dollars through gambling. Okay, you're there. But why does it feel unfulfilling? You want more. Greed drives you senselessly, or so you think. The real allure to gambling is the thrill. Without any loss, there is no more intensity.

Essentially, you're addicted to... losing.

But let me continue.

Many would deny the fact that they are addicted to gambling even though they truly are. Why? Denial allows for more excuses to gamble in the first place.
"I'm gambling for fun".
"It's not about the money."

Despite it all, both of those phrases ARE true. The dopamine levels in your system increase, of course, when you are gambling purely for the thrill. Normally, people initially enter the hobby of gambling for the money, but slowly, they start coming back not for money but for the enjoyment of the game itself.

Rationalize.

Also, several experiments were done in relation to gambling.

Check out this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_gambling_task

Excellent citation....

Yes, there are many psychological and physiological stimuli associated with risk vs reward event responses.  It is beneficial to understand those effects to be successful poker player.  I giggled at your above allusion to those who are addicted to losing....it is so true and a "leak" in the games of many; knowledgeable players have an easy time exploiting that behavior. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: