Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:05:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have I lost my coins?  (Read 991 times)
inversions (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:55:44 PM

I was using XAPO and quite happy with it but find myself in a location I can't get mobile signal and they want the six digit code they send out via text. So I can't use it.

So I DL'd the Electrum Stand Alone Executable and installed it, bought some coin and didn't get it (it's been hours).

Looking around I found I should have DL'd the Windows Installer. So I did and installed that but the coins are not showing.

Help?
inversions (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 04:07:47 PM

Post TX id for clarity

Um, what's TX id?
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 04:09:19 PM

Post TX id for clarity

Um, what's TX id?
Transaction ID something like: bd959676cb5e4efc355ef3d21ccce5a848515506b24149ec4130b8bade5952c2
Or if you don't have it, post the address to which you transacted.
inversions (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 04:21:14 PM

6cc4a59cb65800e2b0eb4f1bb84043a921a94c53f5b701834d6e33cc5c60fe5b
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 04:23:10 PM

6cc4a59cb65800e2b0eb4f1bb84043a921a94c53f5b701834d6e33cc5c60fe5b
Is this your address? https://blockchain.info/address/15dyKix7nguofsfwdXkdCmzrHpEWmWLMc3
Try having a look if the address shows up in your electrum wallet's list of addresses.
inversions (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 05:37:22 PM

That's the one!
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 10:19:28 PM

Did you export the keys from your Android and import them to Electrum? If you didn't there is no way that the desktop one would know about your address.
inversions (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 12:38:06 AM

No it was all done on a W7 laptop. So it's gone then?
saturn643

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 03:53:32 AM

No it was all done on a W7 laptop. So it's gone then?
Oh, wait, I misread the thread.

Can you provide us a screenshot?

When you reinstalled Electrum, did you have to go through the setup a wallet wizard again or did it immediately load? What does Electrum report as its network status?
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 04:22:07 AM

Did you take a backup of your wallet before installing the Windows Installer over the standalone one? I am guessing it must have overwrite the wallet file and which is why you can't find that address in the new one because the address you sent the coins to were in the old wallet.

Any chance you wrote the Seed of the standalone one? that might bring back your coins too, otherwise sorry to say but they might be lost forever.

funkydog

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 05:31:28 AM

Did you take a backup of your wallet before installing the Windows Installer over the standalone one? I am guessing it must have overwrite the wallet file and which is why you can't find that address in the new one because the address you sent the coins to were in the old wallet.

Any chance you wrote the Seed of the standalone one? that might bring back your coins too, otherwise sorry to say but they might be lost forever.

What he said.... i think you have overwritten your wallet file
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 06:35:02 AM

AFAIK electrum does not overwrite wallet files. If it finds a default file, it asks for a name for the next one.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
inversions (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 12:22:20 PM

Hi,

Electrum looks the same now as before I installed the proper one over the standalone one.

I do have the seed, that's the long sentence they tell you to write down right?

When I installed Electrum I just did it over the top of the standalone one.

Hope that answers everything!

saturn643

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 01:26:03 PM

Hi,

Electrum looks the same now as before I installed the proper one over the standalone one.

If you have the seed, then you can restore your wallet and will have all of your bitcoin.
torusJKL

Activity: 619

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 05:48:25 PM

You can always recover the wallet with the seed.
My guess is that the standalone Electrum is looking in the same directory as the executable.
But the regular Electrum is looking in the App data folder
Code:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets

What if you copy the local default_wallet file to the AppData folder?
(AppDate is usually hidden by Windows, you need to change the folder setting to show hidden or system folders)

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 02:54:19 AM

AFAIK electrum does not overwrite wallet files. If it finds a default file, it asks for a name for the next one.

Ah ok, then this seems to be the problem:

My guess is that the standalone Electrum is looking in the same directory as the executable.
But the regular Electrum is looking in the App data folder
Code:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets

What if you copy the local default_wallet file to the AppData folder?
(AppDate is usually hidden by Windows, you need to change the folder setting to show hidden or system folders)

I would suggest if you find 2 wallet files, take back up of both before doing anything and then re-name the one in appdata folder to default_wallet_2 or something like that before you overwrite it so that you can revert back to it if something goes wrong. If you have the wallet file of the standalone wallet and/or it's seed then your coins are not lost.

enthus

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 02:05:04 PM

Hi,

yes that is your seed that you set when you first open...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: