Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:41:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Attempted scam by Mt.Gox?  (Read 1018 times)
worldofdemise (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 08:56:31 AM

I can't post anywhere else, hence the moderators can move to the appropriate section if needed.

I've been using Mt.Gox to purchase Bitcoins for the past 1 month by funding my Mt.Gox account using OKPAY. All the transactions made have been successful and without hassale, except for the last 2. Usually, when I fund my Mt.Gox account using OKPAY, the money appears in my Mt.Gox account in less than an hour. For the second last transaction, the funds haven't appeared even after an hour, which then I knew something was up. I decided to give it a few more hours, and the money still did not appear.

I contacted Mt.Gox's support department, and bla bla the usual exchanges between a customer and a helpdesk officer took place. Finally, the person promised to get back to me "soon". In the mean time, I needed the Bitcoins quite urgently, hence I made another transaction. Call me stupid or what, but I still trusted Mt.Gox. The same story took place for the second transaction. It had been nearly 3 days since the last message from the helpdesk, and no follow-ups from them yet. If the transactions have been successful for a whole month, I don't see what kind of excuses they can give for such actions. Furthermore, they don't seem to have the intention to resolve this at all. The total amount of money involved was a little over 100 USD.

Also, I'm very sure that neither the Mt.Gox nor the OKPAY websites I was on were phishing websites, as I usually visit them from my browser history or type the addresses out fully. I don't think the problem lies with OKPAY either.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kuusou

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 09:13:42 AM

Are you sure your account on Gox is not on hold pending some form of validation? I know you said you talked to someone but maybe they just didn't mention this for some reason. I have read a few times recently that people have had their accounts put on hold and were only told about it once they had a problem moving funds around.

Step one is just going to be to get back in contact with Gox and see if they know anything else, I can't help you with that. And Step two is to just check if anything is pending approval on either side, Gox or OKPAY. Maybe one of the services need you to verify who you are or something like that. This wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
worldofdemise (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 09:24:21 AM

Are you sure your account on Gox is not on hold pending some form of validation? I know you said you talked to someone but maybe they just didn't mention this for some reason. I have read a few times recently that people have had their accounts put on hold and were only told about it once they had a problem moving funds around.

Step one is just going to be to get back in contact with Gox and see if they know anything else, I can't help you with that. And Step two is to just check if anything is pending approval on either side, Gox or OKPAY. Maybe one of the services need you to verify who you are or something like that. This wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
For OKPAY, I definitely didn't hit any sort of receiving/sending limit. Furthermore, when I sent money to my Mt.Gox account, the transaction was recorded in my OKPAY history. I'm very sure the transaction was completed. As for Mt.Gox, I've never heard of any limit for receiving money, only withdrawing. I guess I should ask them, although it sounds improbable that my account had been put on hold, since my account hasn't been very active and the sum of money involved is small.
Kuusou

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 09:27:19 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with a limit. I have read more than one time that peoples accounts were put on hold pending some form of verification. I don't know more about it as I don't use that web site right now but if I find the other posts I'm talking about I will come back and link them.

As I suggested, you should get back in touch with Gox and ask if they know more or if your account is on hold or anything like that.
J3nc

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 02:53:31 PM

I would suspect OKPAY way before I would mt.gox.
notthepuma

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:51:27 PM

Is there any update here?  Did you ever receive your funds?

I once did a depost into mtgox and it took about 24 hours for the money to show, but it did eventually show up.

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
worldofdemise (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 07:01:54 PM

That could be possible. But Mt.Gox did not reply, which makes them more suspicious.

Is there any update here?  Did you ever receive your funds?

I once did a depost into mtgox and it took about 24 hours for the money to show, but it did eventually show up.
No updates from them nor have I received any funds. It's been 3 days.
notthepuma

Activity: 168

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:08:20 AM

Have you tried contacting OKPAY to see if there was something wrong with the transaction?

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:16:49 AM

Likewise.

You also need to remember that it's Sunday afternoon in Japan.  See if someone gets back to you tomorrow before you assume that they're ignoring you or have no intention of addressing your problem.

The support desk part of the MtGox website is down for maintenance at the moment so there's probably not a lot you can do until tomorrow.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196

Another block in the wall

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:38:19 AM

Another FUD.

In Cryptography we trust.
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 12:34:05 AM

I'm not surprised. Its par for the course on this website.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
J3nc

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 12:29:39 PM

Is there any update on this matter, was is resolved?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: