Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:37:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Factory pre-installed malware threaten Bitcoin users and privacy  (Read 1126 times)
ATguy

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 09:35:30 PM

I am sure it comes from the factory, I noticed this activity from day 1, guy in the shop promised to bring me a new phone to test it out of the pack and disappeared on me, my problem is solved by freezing that app but I would pretty much want to know where is my data is residing right now, I will open the apk archive and inspect the code carefully tonight, I also have the IP address of the master but once you visit it redirects you to google.com.
so I will watch packets of this apk on a virtual device, to see if there is a condition that would let the botnet access the server, and possibly get some of the commands, or better gain access and see whats going on.

Regards

I dont understand if you mean you bought a phone which was already opened in the shop ? But if you bought one which was originally packed and unopened before you bought it, consider contacting manufacturer with the modified APK SHA and MD5 hashes to ask whether they can detect those in some of the ready to ship phones in order to catch the person who doing this inside job. And dont worry, manufacturer itselves would not do it so amateurisch and only to some phones, and it would be hardware solution most likely, not a software one.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
anonymousx (OP)

Activity: 431
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:31:23 PM

We should be screaming using an offline wallet from the mountians... 

Need more services to create offline wallets.. humz..
The thing is offline wallets are not easily divisible, at this point. We don't have paper denominations of 1 mBTC or other values; it's just having it stored away so it is infinitely more difficult to hack or steal.

That's probably not what you are getting at, but it is an issue I've had with offline wallets.

I don't get what you mean..

I mean creating a wallet... on a harddrive that is not connected to the web nor will never connect again.   Make several wallets, when you need the coins import them to your "spending" wallet and send what you don't want to use back to an offline.

Although I do agree this is tedious.

Hard job, for good for large volume, you can use multisig aswell.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 12:42:48 AM

This is why I never either buy a phone that isn't from a trusted brand and from a trusted source (a shop and not some ebay seller unless its super verified) and I don't even store any Bitcoins in my phone beyond coffee type of money.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: