Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 04:22:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which btc debit card to use?  (Read 1098 times)
futurebit640

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 09:07:44 AM

BitGold also offers a PrePay gold backed Mastercard which you can load with BTC and works worldwide since its Mastercard

https://www.bitgold.com/best-prepaid-card

This bitgold card is good if you buy bitgold from them but I read many posts on this forum saying that they may close/suspend your accounts randomly for some unrealistic reasons like referral forming or accounts with inactivity. But not sure, what will happen to these pre paid cards if any accounts suspended? Still can use card after account suspended?

Yes I think no one knows on what basis they are reversing funds and suspending the accounts. If terms are not very clear than it is better to avoid them and find some other better from the market. I think even though your account is suspended you still can use your pre paid card until you finish money in that card but after you finish your money, you can't load again because you can't access your account.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 12:28:39 AM

What do you guys think of the new coin base card that has just come out, "Shift"? It uses Visa and seems pretty legit, the only thing I worry about these type of cards are that they seem less secure being that your funds are held on an online wallet.
They have collaborated with Coinbase to issue it in US. You do need to verify your identity and this isn't avalible anywhere[1], they are only allowed to issue it to a few states due to regulatory measures. Otherwise, I find them to be quite reasonable with their fees. Coinbase is quite trusted so there isn't any issues with it.
[1]https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2228646

So I guess I'm still kind of confused. Once you pay an issuance fee to get the card and preload it, does it automatically convert it to fiat, or just hold bitcoins and then whenever you purchase something it takes the USD amount in Bitcoin out of your coin base wallet? Also is it possible to keep loading your card by just depositing bitcoins in your coinbase wallet of your choice?

fullypak
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 01:57:39 AM

What do you guys think of the new coin base card that has just come out, "Shift"? It uses Visa and seems pretty legit, the only thing I worry about these type of cards are that they seem less secure being that your funds are held on an online wallet.
They have collaborated with Coinbase to issue it in US. You do need to verify your identity and this isn't avalible anywhere[1], they are only allowed to issue it to a few states due to regulatory measures. Otherwise, I find them to be quite reasonable with their fees. Coinbase is quite trusted so there isn't any issues with it.

So I guess I'm still kind of confused. Once you pay an issuance fee to get the card and preload it, does it automatically convert it to fiat, or just hold bitcoins and then whenever you purchase something it takes the USD amount in Bitcoin out of your coin base wallet? Also is it possible to keep loading your card by just depositing bitcoins in your coinbase wallet of your choice?

If I'm not wrong yes, when you preload your card you will get that movement conversion rate. All these pre-paid cards will not hold bitcoins so when you load your bitcoins to these card the care issuer will convert your bitcoins to fiat currency at loading time. As long as you're coinbase account got bitcoins you can convert those into fiat currency to use.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 04:51:49 AM

If I'm not wrong yes, when you preload your card you will get that movement conversion rate. All these pre-paid cards will not hold bitcoins so when you load your bitcoins to these card the care issuer will convert your bitcoins to fiat currency at loading time. As long as you're coinbase account got bitcoins you can convert those into fiat currency to use.

Ahh, that's a shame. I thought there was a card that does hold the actual bitcoins on your card and when you use it, then it would be converted... I think it might be bit-x?

Anyway, hopefully the asset backed debit system will continue to get better. For one, I personally don't trust coinbase, so I don't think I would even consider getting a card from them. Still though, I'm not in a rush getting a card, just think the concept of backing a debit card with assets is a pretty cool concept.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: