Bitcoin Forum
September 23, 2018, 05:14:43 PM *
News: ♦♦ New info! Bitcoin Core users absolutely must upgrade to previously-announced 0.16.3 [Torrent]. All Bitcoin users should temporarily trust confirmations slightly less. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dangers of having miners out window?  (Read 3010 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 03:12:06 AM

The best place to keep your miners is your garage (if you have one). At least that's what I did. As it is the only division in the house that it is not heated it can get freezing cold out there. So I've installed my miners there and it works out pretty well.

Kinda depends garage has gotten more popular as it's a area sound does not make as much difference.  So it is nice compared to a loud room near some room you use all day.

I was lucky to have a work area and turned it into mining area.  Worked out really good overall.  And a big thing was it was possible to do good ventilation.  You really need to be able to push the air through it when running a good amount when it's summer.

Now it's starting to be winter so much easier for most.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sweminer777

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Because your are good, you are treated bad."Jebus"

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 08:23:54 AM

So I recently bought and antminer and it generates a ton of heat. I was thinking of hanging the back end of it out my window. I have a balcony about one foot under the edge so I can add padding in case it accidentally falls down. Is it worth it to do this because it gets freezing cold in SF so this would definitely keep it cool.

Thoughts?

There are some advantages and also some dangers which are associated with this approach to cooling of the miners. Many of them were covered in the thread below, "Placing machines outside on cold winter? -20":

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1185966.0

I wish you good luck anyway.

Also if any water or ice it really is a bad deal.  So it's hard you need a box watertight but allows air.. so not easy.

To show why it is important not any water look at this SP20 with corrosion - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=872014.msg11018392#msg11018392

Very interesting.

My sp20 Actually suffered from corrorsion on the Casing.

Never saw any on the boards and still being at around -5 only.

Must be some cheap metals they use to corroe so fast.

16evXY9azcbYtLdKCAn1SeNN7gGxcRGRi6

Save the Chickens!
btckold24

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 09:23:45 AM

garage definitely works great for winter. We had ours (just 1) in the office but since the noise is annoying
we moved it to the garage for the winter. Out the window seems dangerous lol.

YOU CAN ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY or INVEST

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀

Rainbot
Happy Hour
Faucet
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 09:56:44 AM

So I recently bought and antminer and it generates a ton of heat. I was thinking of hanging the back end of it out my window. I have a balcony about one foot under the edge so I can add padding in case it accidentally falls down. Is it worth it to do this because it gets freezing cold in SF so this would definitely keep it cool.

Thoughts?

There are some advantages and also some dangers which are associated with this approach to cooling of the miners. Many of them were covered in the thread below, "Placing machines outside on cold winter? -20":

Also if any water or ice it really is a bad deal.  So it's hard you need a box watertight but allows air.. so not easy.

To show why it is important not any water look at this SP20 with corrosion - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=872014.msg11018392#msg11018392

Very interesting.

It's not that it's cheap it's that they are not designed for outside use.  They are designed to be indoors. That was what they made and built.  And it worked great.

We can't blame them on quality as for almost  all this works good.  But for you it does not... which is not good.  But it is the part about being designed to be inside not outside causing corrosion.

I still would not risk anything nice in it if you do this.
Bananana

Activity: 477

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2015, 01:03:36 PM

Thoughts?

Very interesting.

Every metal would corrode pretty much out door (unless you are talking about gold). My Aluminium heat sink have plenty of white spot just after a month.

jokerboy

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 01:12:22 PM

Rain, snow, dust and any other natural effect can broke your miner? It is not something smart, I think.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 03:25:49 PM

Rain, snow, dust and any other natural effect can broke your miner? It is not something smart, I think.

Yes... that is why outside is not a good idea.  Miners were not meant to be outdoor machines if they were we would have major changes.  For example dust filters on fan's to stop dust/dirt.

Hardest part is water resistant it would be very expensive to make all miners water resistant compared to what they are currently. So would make no sense to raise the price of machine for everyone when only a few will ever need to run outside.
vilain

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 05:57:31 PM

Also theft.  There are plenty of people who know about bitcoin now and seeing a miner just sitting in a window can be easy pickins.  Humidity can also be an issue.

That being said, I have done this before with a screen sliding door and it worked really well.

I have my miners sitting in a covered area in the backyard, so that solved the security issues.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 07:49:38 AM

that's why we suggested a box outside, with myabe an added tube for exausting or i would do it for ehating, since we are in winter

you can redirect it in the house, though it's not very healthly, the heat that come from miner, be aware...
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 11:14:13 AM

You could put together a sort of air filter and humidifier box to store your miner in. Not that easy for you to make, but surely much better than it burning to death in your apartment.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ █▀▀█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ █▄▄█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▀▀▀▀█                         
░░░░░▄▄▄ ░░░░░░░▄█▄ ░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░▄▀░░░▀▄░░░░░░░▀█▀░░░░░░ ▄▀░░░░▄█
░░▄▀▀▄▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ▀▀▀
▄█░░░░░░█▄ ░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄█░░░░░░░░░░░
▀▄█▄░░░▄█▄▀▄▀▀█ ▀▄▄▀ █▀▀▄░░ ▀▄░░░▄▀
░░░▄█▀▀▀█▄▄▀▀░░░█▄▀█▀▄█░░░▀▀▄▀ █▀█▀▄
▄▀░░▀▀▀  █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
█   ▄           █      █          █          █     █    █    █  █
█   █           █      █          █          █     █    █    █  █
█   █           █      █          █          █     █    █    █  █
||
icezer0z

Activity: 143

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 03:13:55 AM

In my setup I open the window for a period of time and have no issues. Not sure about 24/7 having the end exposed to the outside elements.  A filter of some kind to prevent moisture from entering (even though it's blowing out I know)

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1034

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 03:26:52 AM

I have several of my miners now running in the window, behind the screen, sash on top of the fans. No problems. During the summer I would run them with the air pointed out, in the winter I run them with the air coming in. They make great whole-house fans and in summer the only heat is from the power supplies (which can be significant)

I have had one fail spectacularly. I had some chili-miners running in my shed pointing out the window (no screen) and in a serious summer storm rain was blown into the shed. Vaporized a 750 watt Corsair power supply and killed the Chili. Removing the heat sink, washing it with isopropyl alcohol, and cleaning it with a Q-tip got it back to running again.

I think a screen would help. But of course your mileage may vary.
BTC LOVER

Activity: 126

Bitcoin for the Charity :)

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:25:43 AM

Haha Cheesy MAybe u should buidl a little tent over it so rain cannot enter it  Smiley Then therefore should nothing Happen Wink

Wish you could luck on your Mining Project Wink

regards
BTC LOVER
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 04:50:59 PM

Haha Cheesy MAybe u should buidl a little tent over it so rain cannot enter it  Smiley Then therefore should nothing Happen Wink

Wish you could luck on your Mining Project Wink

regards
BTC LOVER

But how do you make the tent where zero water/moisture can get in, but it still allows airflow?  I don't see it happening.

It's just hard to get airflow and also not get moisture.  You are fighting a losing battle in most cases I think if you mine outside.
Magnesium Coin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 07:41:46 PM

You can place your miner under a canopy of corrugated sheet in order to protect it from direct contact with rain-water/snow.

BTW, why don't you keep it in a room having at least one air conditioner?

That would solve majority of the problem I guess.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1021

https://reg-charity.org/

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2015, 07:47:48 PM

You can place your miner under a canopy of corrugated sheet in order to protect it from direct contact with rain-water/snow.

BTW, why don't you keep it in a room having at least one air conditioner?

That would solve majority of the problem I guess.

I doubt it would be a profitable way of cooling.
@OP, if you want your miners to last, it's not a viable solution.

Shards.

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 07:51:43 PM

This post got me wondering, can you use the weather to cool your miners lol.
The weather goes down to -20 in the winter where I am, but unfortunately I do not have a garage.
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:06:50 PM

Have you considered some simple duct work? If you're not opposed to leaving your window partially open all the time just enclose your miner in a box (cardboard works fine), then head over to Home Depot or something like that and buy some basic duct/vent supplies. Just create an air duct from your box to the window. It doesn't have to be fancy it just needs to channel air out of your box and to the window with no air leaks. Of course you'll need a fan to blow air through your box and out the window too.

Bonus points if your miner is small enough that you can just use some flexible tubing like so:

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1034

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:45:06 PM

Mrmph. Blowing air through that ducting is going to reduce your airflow throgh the miner significantly. You would have a better shot pulling air through the ducting *from* outside, as it is always easier to pull a fluid than push it.

The real "Dr. Manly" way to solve this of course is water cooling. Build a water cooling plate for your antminers (get rid of those silly heat sinks) and pump either ethylene or propolyne glycol through to a car radiator outside. Use a 12 volt auto fan on a thermostat to cycle air as needed. Then you totally win: You can dump your heat outside, not have to worry about dust and crud, and have a totally silent system You can then also upclock things to fearsome levels without being too concerned.

If I ever find a free Ant or something like that I'd give this a go. Using water blocks I was able to clock a jally at 32gh, which was kinda neat at the time... :-)

Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 10:33:36 PM

The elements will obviously have a strong effect against your miner. I'd recommend taking precautions, like a filter, fan, and shield to protect.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.