Bitcoin Forum
September 20, 2018, 05:41:23 PM *
News: ♦♦ Bitcoin Core users must update to 0.16.3 [Torrent]. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dangers of having miners out window?  (Read 3010 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 01:02:48 AM

Mrmph. Blowing air through that ducting is going to reduce your airflow throgh the miner significantly. You would have a better shot pulling air through the ducting *from* outside, as it is always easier to pull a fluid than push it.

The real "Dr. Manly" way to solve this of course is water cooling. Build a water cooling plate for your antminers (get rid of those silly heat sinks) and pump either ethylene or propolyne glycol through to a car radiator outside. Use a 12 volt auto fan on a thermostat to cycle air as needed. Then you totally win: You can dump your heat outside, not have to worry about dust and crud, and have a totally silent system You can then also upclock things to fearsome levels without being too concerned.

If I ever find a free Ant or something like that I'd give this a go. Using water blocks I was able to clock a jally at 32gh, which was kinda neat at the time... :-)

Water cooling sounds great in general.  But as someone who did use a few C1's it is not as fun as it sounds.  I thought it would be fun less work move heat away, etc.

But miners using fan's are just so much easier to use.  Also easier to sell I had to part one of my C1's out to sell (it had some issues though). And other sold as a package.   But I personally am not to interested in water cooling after doing it once. 

I have a gaming PC with water cooling, and yes I like it.  So I'm not against water cooling.  Just prefer fan's on miners.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 04:50:11 AM

The best place to keep your miners is your garage (if you have one). At least that's what I did. As it is the only division in the house that it is not heated it can get freezing cold out there. So I've installed my miners there and it works out pretty well.
Does the freezing cold during winter months have any negative affects when it comes to miners, or does it help substantially when it comes to avoiding the heat issues that come with mining?

I know some people in Canada that have been wondering similar things and chickened out on putting them in their garages because they worry half of their equipment will freeze or warp due to the hot/cold mix.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 07:05:43 AM

The best place to keep your miners is your garage (if you have one). At least that's what I did. As it is the only division in the house that it is not heated it can get freezing cold out there. So I've installed my miners there and it works out pretty well.
Does the freezing cold during winter months have any negative affects when it comes to miners, or does it help substantially when it comes to avoiding the heat issues that come with mining?

I know some people in Canada that have been wondering similar things and chickened out on putting them in their garages because they worry half of their equipment will freeze or warp due to the hot/cold mix.

There should not be an issue as long as there is not moisture.  It's not the cold outside killing the miners but the moisture from rain/snow.   Miners are just not set up and they will corrode.

Granted I'm not sure if you are truly talking about a extreme low.  But as far as general usage I would be more worried about moisture, normally heat to but with your set up sounds like not an issue.
yun9999

Activity: 415
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 11:07:37 PM

I'm enjoying the heating from the Antminers in my garage.  Just keep it far away from the the garage door to reduce dust and unnecessary humidity
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 12:39:22 AM

There should not be an issue as long as there is not moisture.  It's not the cold outside killing the miners but the moisture from rain/snow.   Miners are just not set up and they will corrode.

Granted I'm not sure if you are truly talking about a extreme low.  But as far as general usage I would be more worried about moisture, normally heat to but with your set up sounds like not an issue.
Yeah, this is what I told them I thought would be the issue, and I'm glad to see that I was correct.

If you're wondering about the temperatures we get here, a winter day is typically below -15*C, or about 5 Fahrenheit according to Google. Most of the time, however, with my garage anyways, I only get to 3*C at the lowest. With a typical attached garage, how much of an issue would moisture from outside be?
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1034

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 03:10:14 AM

If you're wondering about the temperatures we get here, a winter day is typically below -15*C, or about 5 Fahrenheit according to Google. Most of the time, however, with my garage anyways, I only get to 3*C at the lowest. With a typical attached garage, how much of an issue would moisture from outside be?
This is not technical advice, but probably not much. It's true that miners are not conformally coated (partially cost, partially because that would be a ummmm heat blanket) but it's probably as bad as running in the house near the bathroom or something.

To be honest, miners are most likely built to run in data center type environments. That means 70 degree inlet temps, humidity between 10 and 60%, filtered air, etc. However home miners are run in houses with dust, dirt (dirt piling up in a miner will capture moisture and make a mess. However cleaning the crap usually clears faults unless the manufacturer was doing weird things with rc circuits that should be conformally coated anyway) however you need to use either isopropyl alcohol or 100% deionized water.

More importantly if you run the miner at 80f inlet temps the cooling system is going to be significantly less efficient (due to heat sinks working on the difference in temps between hot and cold times the thermal conductivity of the cooling fluid ie: air) and if you run it at 90f it will be even less efficient. So what do you design your heat sinks to run at?

3c should be fine but drop a line to the manufacturer and see.
BTC LOVER

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Bitcoin for the Charity :)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 07:21:06 AM

u could also use it as heating for your winter garden ;()
Sweminer777

Activity: 641
Merit: 500

Because your are good, you are treated bad."Jebus"

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 12:50:06 PM

DEpends on miners.

My Sp20 and S5 did not hash at full speed on low temps.

around 5c the hash rate whent down.

If it's to cold it's hard to start the miners aswell you gotta preheat them inside or start them many times untill the cores are at some decent temp .

Did not had time to test other machines but i guess it will be like t his for most of miners.

A ventilated place is good to choose but in the winter cold it just will be up to the luck of the machine i guess.

ABout the moisture, the humidity on the air will affect aswell, i got corrosion on my SP20, on the Case as the fan was always 100% running i guess the flow prevented to get corrosion inside.

humidity in sweden is about 20-30% and gets around 5-10% in winter.

The antminer s5 had corrosion on the BBB board after few days outside , asic boards had no corrosion atleast.

So it will mostly accomulate were there is no air flow.

Have fans running at full speed to prevent corrosion from the ambient humidity, rain and snow till mostly kill your machines instantly.

16evXY9azcbYtLdKCAn1SeNN7gGxcRGRi6

Save the Chickens!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:24:07 PM

Depends on miners. My Sp20 and S5 did not hash at full speed on low temps. Around 5c the hash rate went down. If it's to cold it's hard to start the miners aswell you gotta preheat them inside or start them many times until the cores are at some decent temp .

Did not had time to test other machines but i guess it will be like t his for most of miners.  A ventilated place is good to choose but in the winter cold it just will be up to the luck of the machine i guess.

About the moisture, the humidity on the air will affect aswell, i got corrosion on my SP20, on the Case as the fan was always 100% running i guess the flow prevented to get corrosion inside. Humidity in Sweden is about 20-30% and gets around 5-10% in winter.

The antminer s5 had corrosion on the BBB board after few days outside , asic boards had no corrosion atleast. So it will mostly accumulate were there is no air flow. Have fans running at full speed to prevent corrosion from the ambient humidity, rain and snow till mostly kill your machines instantly.

I put it in readable forum.  You really need to work on spacing that is just a massive amount of blank space.  Even if there is a language barrier there should not be just huge posts like that.

But I think we are all in agreement corrosion is not good.  Keep miners dry.
sloopy

Activity: 689
Merit: 500

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 02:40:55 AM

Mining outside is going to be tough, but making the inside as close to the outside but without all of the issues associated with dirt, snow, etc is not hard.

Take a room with one side it has windows and the other side it has a door.
The exit is the door with a large fan pushing enough or more CFM to cause the pull of the cold air.
Pulling is always easier than pushing as others have mentioned several times.
The windows have screens and filters.
The exhaust of the miners are pointed towards the door.

Cleaning your equipment when doing this is more important than ever because unless you are spending hundreds of dollars onm the filters many of the "baddies" still get through. So you enjoy the cold temperatures, you are obviously still fighting some temperature extremes depending on how many miners and how much exhaust between the ceiling and the floor.

I would take a miner down, and vacuum it. Never blow it out with an air compressor, vacuum it. I personally know many cases where blowing out electronics caused issues with static and not to mention moisture in the air. Sometimes oil in the air. Cans of air are different, but still the vacuum is the best.

Toothbrushes. I can pickup a pack of 6 or 8 for a buck. Really cheap and using a large desk mounted lighted magnifying ring I can see all of the bad stuff at the base of components. I shouldn't say all, I have no doubt I am far from perfect, but with only taking a single miner down at a time you can afford to take your time and be thorough. Put on some jams, have a drink and a smoke, chill and clean your miner for a while. It can be therapeutic.

Also, don't skip your power supplies and cables. They need the same amount of love. IF the cables are brittle, browning in the connectors, etc you should replace them. You can always keep the others for spares. I also do a pull test where I pull ont he wire at the connector. If it slips, obviously it is a goner.

Most of all, again, take your time. Rushing is the perfect way to miss something and as home miners we have our family, our homes, ourselves, all of our things, etc to consider. Rushing is a way to fire.

Evaluate the environment wherever your miners are today and remove anything flammable. Take the time to sit and look around where your miners are working hard for you 24 hours per day. Make sure the other items in the room can stand the heat.

Consider using the heat from your miner to heat other rooms. You can purchase nice inline or in wall fans for under $100 USD.
I picked up a couple of inline fans or they can be used in the wall between two rooms for under $150 for both. They are 420 CFM each  and certified for 167 degrees F. Place them at the top of your rooms to take full advantage of pulling the hottest air.

I took one and used it to pull the air from one corner and push it to another room, and the other connects to the end of a 6" duct run where I attached more 6" duct to heat another room. My heating bill is me paying to heat hot water, not my home. My hot water bill is not enough to worry about trying to heat with miner heat. I have too many other projects in the works and that bill is under $50.00 per month, which is my gas bill. My heat is gas and my hot water is gas. My bill hasn't been over $50.00 USD in over a year and I am on an average plan.

You can use the coldest air inside your home and then convert that hot air to the heat in your home. I highly recommend it and there are plenty of hvac, CFM, and electrical forums and calculators to help convert and build amazing things.

If you make a thread outlining a project and give people specifics like the room size, your miner quantities and models and your budget you will receive very processional replies from some very experienced people here on the forum. I have seen some amazing plans.

One last thing, when laying out your plan make sure you take advantage of the fact heat rises. Last summer I proved I could blow hot air out of the top of a window and pull cold air back in through the bottom of the same window with very little mix of the hot back in my cold. I built dividers inside the window to direct the flow of each using heat resistant materials. I and everyone else thought it would be futile and I would just pull the hot air back in, but no, it worked fabulously and we had 100 degree days (f) as we do every summer and my miners are still running strong.

Patience, and cleanliness with a little bit of willingness to try some things and rework them as needed.

Don't do something and walk away. Monitor temps and under-clock when needed.

I think this is one of the most beautiful things about bitcoin. Getting out of the normal and in to the things people think will be so difficult or even impossible to do. Don't get me wrong you have to use your noodle, but you can also do some fun and practical things which are unconventional.

To top it off you have some great minds giving you consultations for the love of helping others. That is bitcoin, sharing ideas with each other to help the next guy, and so on.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.