Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:07:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So I spoke with Loretta Sanchez today about bitcoins...  (Read 5587 times)
b2931938 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:49:43 PM

Reason for the throwaway account is I like to keep my internet alias' unrelated to my real identity (being a minor, people don't take you seriously if they know your a kid).

She was at my school talking about cyber bullying being a problem (highschool) and made reference to her being one of the main people involved in internet related events and bitcoin popped into mind, so after the presentation I went up to speak with her.

I introduced myself, and told her that I am related to a (good? idk) friend of hers. She recognized the name of the person I made reference to and seemed "small world" kind of happy.

I proceeded to bring up bitcoin and there was a immediate shift in facial expression, so this confirmed that she is well aware of bitcoin (as I expected).

I told her that as I'm sure she saw, a bit of bad publicity hit bitcoin and it was dubbed a "online money laundering currency" and "drug trafficking agent". I told her that this is not the aim of bitcoin, I told her that if you where to read on the home forum, it is ever abundantly clear that the aim of bitcoin is to take away some of the MASSIVE power from the banks and reduce fees associated with it, I said her how recently I made a international transaction on paypal and they took a ludicrous fee for doing virtually nothing, which she agreed that it was indeed a ridiculous fee.

I went back to the titles "online money laundering currency" and "drug trafficking agent", I said that granted, bitcoin can be used for such things, but so can cash and almost anything else (i.e : insurance, gold, silver, etc etc).

I'll try and follow up with her about this though, or ask my relative to do so if I can convince him so.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Goldenmaw

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:01:57 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 06:13:13 PM by Goldenmaw

This is bad.  This is an image we have to shake, by any means necessary.

EDIT:  by any means necessary includes some means that just aren't worth using.  Let's leave out the really horrible ones.
b2931938 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:10:19 PM

My thoughts exactly, I didn't like reading "Online money laundering currency" I was very angry when I first read that.

She didn't give me any response on her feelings towards bitcoins, but hopefully it will all work out okay.
Anonymous

June 06, 2011, 08:11:24 PM

You can't convince her. She probably believes a regulated, state-approved currency is the only way to go. She can't imagine a common man having so much power over his labor, which Bitcoin provides.
b2931938 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:14:16 PM

You can't convince her. She probably believes a regulated, state-approved currency is the only way to go.

She isn't a bad person AFAIK, and does have people in mind AFAIK, but again, I'm just a kid (when I proclaim this, I tend to abuse this).

My relative who is a friend of hers is very liberal and he supports her more than he supports any other elected official from what I've seen, I believe he met her through helping her campaign back when she was first trying, but I could be wrong, might have been before/later.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:19:55 PM

You can't convince her. She probably believes a regulated, state-approved currency is the only way to go. She can't imagine a common man having so much power over his labor, which Bitcoin provides.

She's a politician. It would be political suicide to back something like this, I imagine. The Federalists certainly wouldn't approve, at any rate.

This is bad.  This is an image we have to shake, by any means necessary.
Absolutely.

Reason for the throwaway account is I like to keep my internet alias' unrelated to my real identity (being a minor, people don't take you seriously if they know your a kid).

I am amused that you state your reason for using a throwaway account while simultaneously negating that reason.
b2931938 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:32:06 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2011, 08:46:53 PM by b2931938

She's a politician. It would be political suicide to back something like this, I imagine. The Federalists certainly wouldn't approve, at any rate.

I am amused that you state your reason for using a throwaway account while simultaneously negating that reason.

Well of course she couldn't "back" it, its just that if there is a chance to shake that horribly incorrect title, then I'd like to try and jump on it. I don't want to be known as a "criminal" because I want to avoid paying corporations (not government) for doing something that I could do myself for free. I have nothing against paying taxes.

EDIT: Lol, Just realized what you actually meant. I found it hard to avoid the fact that I spoke with her at a school related event. Thats why I included that little bit.

Basically, I could care less if people don't believe me (again throwaway w/ no proof of the convo). I just wanted to let people know that it happened and wanted to report roughly how the convo went, without having my minority attached to my real account.

That is all.
ryepdx

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:46:38 PM

Well of course she couldn't "back" it, its just that if there is a chance to shake that horribly incorrect title, then I'd like to try and jump on it. I don't want to be known as a "criminal" because I want to avoid paying corporations (not government) for doing something that I could do myself for free. I have nothing against paying taxes.

Alright, understood. I definitely appreciate the effort then. We certainly need some sort of positive PR going on to counter the smear campaigns. :-/

EDIT: Lol, Just realized what you actually meant. I found it hard to avoid the fact that I spoke with her at a school related event. Thats why I included that little bit.

That's legit. Though you can always just pretend to be in college. It's more or less orthogonal with grade/middle/high school, depending on what college you pretend to be from. :-3
b2931938 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:50:20 PM

lol @ cyber bullying presentation in college Cheesy I hope to god that college students have learned that the internet is a giant circle jerk and not to take anything seriously, if not, than instead of campaigning to prevent cyber bullying, we should campaign to teach people that randoms "internet-toughies" say "mean things" on the internet, and to grow up.

Also, on my real account I do just pretend to be in college whenever asked. It's simple, and it doesn't effect anybody

Lol basically I'm just protecting my real account's e-peen (more or less).
ryepdx

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:55:31 PM

lol @ cyber bullying presentation in college Cheesy

Psh. You'd be surprised. Some colleges, particularly private ones of a religious nature, treat their students more patronizingly than the high schools they come from. I have a friend who went to a private Christian college in Portland, OR where men and women were not allowed in each other's living quarters except for one hour a week, and that under supervision. And I've heard of colleges in the south where things are even worse. So... yeah. Sadly it may not be all that far-fetched.
b2931938 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:01:24 PM

lol @ cyber bullying presentation in college Cheesy

Psh. You'd be surprised. Some colleges, particularly private ones of a religious nature, treat their students more patronizingly than the high schools they come from. I have a friend who went to a private Christian college in Portland, OR where men and women were not allowed in each other's living quarters except for one hour a week, and that under supervision. And I've heard of colleges in the south where things are even worse. So... yeah. Sadly it may not be all that far-fetched.

Oh my. I am surprised, though I guess I shouldn't be, it could have been guessed.

I'll be back in a couple hours, I need to take care of a couple of things.
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:09:04 PM

What means do you propose? What is your aim? Merely to "shake this image", or to prevent some individuals from using Bitcoin to perform the types of transactions which gives us this image?

If a large enough people think that violence should be used against some Bitcoin users, and doing so will "shake this image", do you support using such violence?
b2931938 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:30:06 PM

What means do you propose? What is your aim? Merely to "shake this image", or to prevent some individuals from using Bitcoin to perform the types of transactions which gives us this image?

If a large enough people think that violence should be used against some Bitcoin users, and doing so will "shake this image", do you support using such violence?

Back, but only for a moment then I'm out again.

Of course not, but you bring up a good point here, we need to start choosing our words carefully to be explicitly clear of our intentions as to prevent any ill interpretations of anything we say.
cloud9

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:47:09 PM

If you are biased and you generalize by attributing to a group, a subgroup or individual's actions:

Are you racist if you are biased based on race?
Are you sexist if you are biased based on gender?
etc., etc.,

What will you be if you generalize by saying bitcoiners are launderers, when only a subgroup of bitcoiners are laundering bitcoins?  Could you be dubbed a bitcoinist?

Will each of the possible roughly estimated 600,000 world wide bitcoiners ( http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12574.msg174344#msg174344 ) appreciate a statement like that?

Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:09:13 PM

i... i don't understand.

that couldn't be superman!  why, he's wearing glasses!
Goldenmaw

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:38:42 PM

This is bad.  This is an image we have to shake, by any means necessary.

You know damned well what my aim is.  As long as the word "bitcoin" is associated with "drug money" and "laundering" it will be impossible to sell it to the united states populace, and therefore impossible to squeeze the powers that be into accepting it as a valid form of exchange that doesn't need to be obliterated by any means necessary.

Your anarchistic fantasy of unstoppable free trade can't last, because unless bitcoin graduates from the back-alley territory it is in, the value of the bitcoin will be annihilated when uncle sam drops the hammer on using it for illegal goods.  Bitcoins HAVE to be traded for goods and services in great numbers and in broad daylight, and this crap is hindering that.

Edit:  I propose we retrofit the DEA to break down people's doors and rough them up a bit, you know, really step on their civil liberties.  Maybe fire off a couple rounds into their Corgis for absolutely no reason.  That'll do the job, as per your specification.

Edit of the edit:  Wait.  That's what the DEA already orchestrates, in a way.  I guess we're good to go as is!
b2931938 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:52:53 PM

lol at this rate, we are doomed. but at least it's a amusing read.
Goldenmaw

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

It'll be a fun ride for us in the US, assuming we pick the right moment to step off the train before it wrecks.

Bitcoins will proliferate elsewhere, and it will creep back here one day, when our country realizes that unless it competes with the countries utilizing this superior currency, it will straggle and die off as a world power.
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:58:48 PM

It'll be a fun ride for us in the US, assuming we pick the right moment to step off the train before it wrecks.

Bitcoins will proliferate elsewhere, and it will creep back here one day, when our country realizes that unless it competes with the countries utilizing this superior currency, it will straggle and die off as a world power.

You're assuming that a significant number of people will stop using it because the government tells them to. I think this assumption is less and less valid every day.
b2931938 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:59:10 PM

6/6/2011
Name : Me
Place : USA

6/6/2012/2013
Name : Me
Place : Not USA
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: