Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:23:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why arnt we seeing more bitcoin ATM popping up?  (Read 7666 times)
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 03:45:14 PM

I can't say for other countries but in my country is only one Bitcoin ATM.
Why only one?
I guess because of a few reasons.
We don't have much bitcoin users here.
No so many merchants accepts bitcoin.
I'm sure ATM also comes with high maintenance cost etc.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elizabethqueen

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 04:26:21 PM

I really thought this time last year that we would have a lot more
bitcoin ATM machines. There is so many people on localbitcoin especailly
in certain areas. I just really thought I would see more in heavily populated
areas. Why do you guys think there isn't many out there still? I know the one
I saw in California had ridiculous fee's but I think people still used it a lot.
yes i also not see many bitcoin ATM on my country,just on some big city or capital city of course,i'm sure this is about the customer of that ATM,bitcoin user still have no knowledge about using bitcoin ATM,and they still comfort being use bitcoin with online transaction on computer or smartphone.

fdylstyx

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 10:26:02 PM

The city I live in has but one that I am currently aware of. Same location (Hemp Clothing store) going on 2 years now I believe. I've used it a half dozen times and though I'm uncertain that there's a camera I think it most likely. The fee to buy is 5% in USD. There is no ID requirement to purchase bitcoin and the maximum one time purchase is $5,000.00 CAN. No minimum!

I have yet to withdraw cash for bitcoin but I believe there is a similar fee and cash limit. I believe higher amounts do require scaled ID requirements. The store itself offers a 10% discount on purchase of goods with bitcoin. It's situated in a high traffic area and it's a tourist/university town I live in, which is also the Provincial Capitol. I haven't been lately but I expect they're doing as good as ever with the low Canadian dollar.

It's a Robo brand BTM, simple to use, so I expect there is always a way when the will is there. I do know the store does not own the machine so they are more than likely compensated to their satisfaction for having it placed not more than 3 strides from their door.

A local bitcoin group owns it and I can only surmise they have recouped their cost for the machine and any maintenance required. So it's a win win proposition for all concerned. Unless of course you don't want your image recorded while making a transaction. There's business cards and pamphlets available if one should choose to go the local bitcoin route at a nearby coffee shop.

All in all a smooth operation.

imho
fdyl
Moneyburner

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 10:37:27 PM

I think it is mostly due to how expensive it is to buy on, plus it's an internet thing so why get it from the 'real world' when you can just get it on a computer

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
ShrykeZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 11:19:06 PM

Apparently Bitcoin ATM's are expensive to use and take a long time to yelled back their initial cost

This is pretty much it, the return of interest on these machines varies heavily on location and usually people don't use these machines as some have high fees.
Tavos

Activity: 140

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 11:25:11 PM

I think it is because they are expensive and costly to run. Will also take a while to get a ROI from running the machine.

Evildrum

Activity: 84

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 02:55:34 AM

Interesting to think the atms are expensive to buy and run. Always feel like I am the only guy using them, yet they keep popping up. Its like a shadow economy or people that are here using bitcoin that I never see.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
btcjoin14

Activity: 891

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 02:57:43 AM

They are very expensive to install and maintain. There's none in my area which is quite sad for me. As they are expensive they take awhile to get back their original cost back.
specown

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 02:59:33 AM

probably because bitcoins is anonymous currency and basically by using ATM you're showing your identity?
Evildrum

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 03:02:23 AM

Only in some Countries do you need to supply a photo or palm scan. I just need to scan the code or have it scan mine and the transaction is done in a short time. Just waiting for . confirmation.

Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 03:06:05 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2016, 09:30:59 AM by Slark

I don't think Bitcoin ATMs are the way bitcoin should follow. I don't like them - maybe they are good as promotional tools and cool gadgets, people will be talking about them etc.
But their real use is limited AFAIK, fees are ridiculous and I doubt that anyone who never used bitcoin before will be buying first BTC through ATM.
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 03:07:02 AM

Those Bitcoin ATM should be operated by exchanger's because if it's owned and operated by an individual, who will pay for the electricity, lease of space and maintenance. Who ever will operate and run a Bitcoin ATM must have a very deep pocket to begin with.
Evildrum

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 03:15:59 AM

Do they really pull that much juice? Most if the big chain atms are run out of cafes and I do not think they would be bringing them to so many locations if this was the case. Not sure about this aspect and will look into it.
The fees can be as low as 1 percent if you know when to buy, merchants offer special days here.
I know some places are robbing people on fees but none of them here are doing that.

bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2016, 03:21:48 AM

If anyone in Australia has a spot for a bitcoin ATM that they think might generate a lot of business send me a PM and i we can talk.

arwin100

Activity: 2730
Merit: 806

Jack of all trades 💯

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2016, 03:35:03 AM

The main reason there is bitcoin is really not known of all people globally and some doesnt bother to look at it now because banker do not really knew it was existing and those who knew they have few like here in philippines we have only one bitcoin atm machine here and located in makati city And its nice to see its really existing.

Superbitzz

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 05:52:44 AM

i think it some thing new. it need a little more time to be stable. i think there are still some banks who have no ATM system available. so i m hopeful that in future you will see a lot of ATM machines regarding bitcoins.
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 07:49:59 AM

FWIW, we have two bitcoin atm's in my city (Dallas, Texas, USA).
MyBTT

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 08:16:27 AM

There aren't more Bitcoin ATM's being built because they are very expensive to make and not many people would use them. In Sydney, Australia, there are only 3 Bitcoin ATM's. Like WTF.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
DOGE12321

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 08:23:28 AM

I really thought this time last year that we would have a lot more
bitcoin ATM machines. There is so many people on localbitcoin especailly
in certain areas. I just really thought I would see more in heavily populated
areas. Why do you guys think there isn't many out there still? I know the one
I saw in California had ridiculous fee's but I think people still used it a lot.
Personally, I don't see the need for a special Bitcoin ATM. The reason why no one makes them is because of their inconvenience, cost and the lack of usage. No one uses the machines because their fees are, as you said, 'ridiculous'.
Doms

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 08:29:50 AM

Honestly, I haven't seen any BTC machine in my country, much less had the need to use it. Maintenance would surely be an issue because of the operating costs associated with it. If it ain't a necessity and people are not looking for it, why bother having one?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: