Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:52:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who predicted Bitcoin?  (Read 2625 times)
Bitatoes (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:58:38 PM

Did anybody predict a bitcoin type system before it was technologically possible?

And similarly, does anybody now have any idea of how a currency could be more pure then bitcoin if only we had the technology?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Episode 1 The Bitcoin Simpsons: The Simpsons climb Mt Gox (7:07)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duoyacLJpKI  or  http://vimeo.com/24718978

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:01:20 PM

1. find vague reference to anything bitcoin related
2. post on forums
3. Huh

gogogogoogogogo

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:05:43 PM

nick szabo.
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 10:06:35 PM

Nostradamus did. Bitcoins can be made more pure if you decanter them a few times.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:07:40 PM

And similarly, does anybody now have any idea of how a currency could be more pure then bitcoin if only we had the technology?

True anonymity.

cloud9

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:19:40 PM

True anonymity.

See https://blindbitcoin.com/ or http://bitcoinlaundry.com/ , but would these sites not be illegal if you consider its laundering activities? 

Does http://www.bitcoin.org/ provide any anonymity?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:36:40 PM

Does http://www.bitcoin.org/ provide any anonymity?

No, none at all.  If you wanted anonimity, you shouldn't have come here.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:45:37 PM

nick szabo.

+1

wei dai implemented a version of nick's vision.  but it took several years later for the pieces to all come together by satoshi

http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2011/05/bitcoin-what-took-ye-so-long.html
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:49:53 PM

Did anybody predict a bitcoin type system before it was technologically possible?

Well, Zooko (creates Tahoe-LAFS) wrote:

Decentralized Money
Zooko, 26 January 2009 (created 26 January 2009)
tags:
politics and economics
tahoe-lafs
privacy and openness
cryptography
computer security and reliability
I've been spending a little bit of time thinking about how gaming services like World of Warcraft and (don't-call-it-a-gaming-service) Second Life have succeeded where we at DigiCash failed — convenient, widely-used, programmable digital cash. A problem is that each of these new currencies are centrally controlled by one entity. This limits the scope of who will rely on that currency and how much value they will risk on that currency. There are ideas floating around about how to facilitate transactions between currencies, but this would not solve the problem. A plethora of competing centralized services is not the same as a decentralized service. Even if it were cheap and convenient to trade some LindenBucks for some WoW Gold, this would only lead us back to the equivalent of the modern nation-state currencies: mostly centralized (because of the Network Externality), heavily taxed/regulated/manipulated, and prone to disastrous failure. What I want is a currency which everyone can cheaply and conveniently use but which no-one has the power to manipulate. No-one has the power to inflate or deflate the currency supply, no-one has the power to monitor, tax, or prevent transactions. Truly the digital equivalent of gold, during the times and places when gold was the universal currency. See the BitGold idea by Nick Szabo and b-money idea by Wei Dai, and recent effort to actually implement something along these lines: BitCoin by Satoshi Nakamoto.

- http://x.co/XbWm

Then Nick Szabo's recent article where he discusses BitGold and Bitcoin:
only a few people had read of the bit gold ideas, which although I came up with them in 1998 (at the same time and on the same private mailing list where Dai was coming up with b-money -- it's a long story) were mostly not described in public until 2005, although various pieces of it I described earlier, for example the crucial Byzantine-replicated chain-of-signed-transactions part of it which I generalized into what I call secure property titles.
- http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2011/05/bitcoin-what-took-ye-so-long.html

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:06:58 PM

I didn't predict Bitcoin, but I did predict an Internet based monetary revolution: http://www.anti-state.com/article.php?article_id=433

I just thought it would have been gold backed digital currencies like e-gold. Bitcoin or other decentralized cryptocurrencies beat those by far though. It looks like the monetary revolution is under way!
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 12:14:39 AM

I didn't predict Bitcoin, but I did predict an Internet based monetary revolution: http://www.anti-state.com/article.php?article_id=433

I just thought it would have been gold backed digital currencies like e-gold. Bitcoin or other decentralized cryptocurrencies beat those by far though. It looks like the monetary revolution is under way!

Cool, I used to read anti-state.com when I was still figuring out my political orientation.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
dearbesz

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 03:13:30 AM

no one knows who predicted Bitcoin...

But i read in the book of bible in Revelation im just not exactly sure
what verse in revelation and chapter, it says that before the second coming of Christ
there will be one currency that can use all over world and then money will no longer be useful Grin
Nouelle-Hunter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 03:34:07 AM

i dont know but I heard that there is some persons who predicted bitcoins. But I dont believe on predictions after all whats more important is that we have a bitcoins right now.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 03:47:53 AM

The real question is "who predicted utilizing a medium of exchange outside of government intervention".

I jest, but thats one of a multitudes of ways in which to interpret your question. If thats the case, one needs to understand politics and when was the first established political environment in mankind. Then realize that medium of exchange happened way before that.  Wink

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 03:59:41 AM

what verse in revelation and chapter, it says that before the second coming of Christ
there will be one currency that can use all over world and then money will no longer be useful Grin

Maybe you are referring the the verses in Revelation Chapter 13: 16-17...

"16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."

However, until the time comes, we can't be sure if these verses are really referring to the the digital currencies...
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 04:40:27 AM

Maybe you are referring the the verses in Revelation Chapter 13: 16-17...

"16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."

However, until the time comes, we can't be sure if these verses are really referring to the the digital currencies...

My argument predates the bible Wink

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 06:28:04 AM

Ezekiel 7:19
They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity.

Revelations 13:16-17
And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

StoreBit

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 12:17:21 PM

alot of people ae predicting bitcoin. i am confused what should i do. eveyone has its own predicitoin. they giving different views about bitcoin.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2016, 12:59:56 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2016, 01:21:09 PM by ObscureBean

It depends how far back you're talking but it is definitely possible that there were other people who envisioned something along the lines of Bitcoin (as in digital currency) in the past 50 years. People were already experimenting with digital currencies in the nineties. The concept behind the blockchain itself is even more fundamental, I wouldn't be surprised if people already thought of similar systems 100's of years ago.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 03:20:23 PM

Ezekiel 7:19
They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity.

Revelations 13:16-17
And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

It's interesting how people read things into the text that are not actually there. The passage in Revelations speaks of a mark. It does not say that the mark _is_ money or anything of the sort. Much less that it refers to a microchip or digital currency or any of the wild speculations people bring upon it. It just specifies that people would be marked, and the mark will be a requirement to engage in transaction activity. Bitcoin doesn't involve such a mark in any way, shape or form. So there is simply no relationship between bitcoin and this passage. Note that the passage also doesn't require there to be only one currency. There could be many currencies, so long as they were all using the same mark as a control mechanism.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: