Bitcoin Forum
December 06, 2016, 10:28:53 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound card mining?  (Read 19961 times)
Shuffle

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:49:27 PM

Do the math, if a x16 lane gpu generates 300 mh/s ( based off an average mining gpu), a sound card whether on-board or plugging into a pci, pci-e x1 lane, or even pci-e x4 lane is not going to do f*ck all, excuse my language. Sound cards are probably 1/100th the times as powerful as a gpu respectively considering release dates/drivers.

I have worked with computers for many, many years and I will confirm that this is false. This is just an outrageous claim.
Although the sound card mining is fake the bandwidth of the pci slot doesnt make a difference while mining.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i                :Ƀ

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:50:39 PM

The size of a card has zero to do with how effective it is. Most modern graphics cards are filled with RAM chips that are useless for mining & make the board longer.
I would expect physicly smaller cards would waste less electricity since they don't need to shoot the electrons as far as big cards...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:16:21 AM

Do the math, if a x16 lane gpu generates 300 mh/s ( based off an average mining gpu), a sound card whether on-board or plugging into a pci, pci-e x1 lane, or even pci-e x4 lane is not going to do f*ck all, excuse my language. Sound cards are probably 1/100th the times as powerful as a gpu respectively considering release dates/drivers.

I have worked with computers for many, many years and I will confirm that this is false. This is just an outrageous claim.
Although the sound card mining is fake the bandwidth of the pci slot doesnt make a difference while mining.

You're telling me that x16 lanes will mine the same speed as x4 lanes?

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:21:31 AM

@Tiago But they aren't powerful enough to be utilized as mining cards at this point in time.

There are some very small HD4850 and GTX460 cards but their mhash/s is pretty bad.

Most of the best mining cards are massive, like the 5870 or 6950 (let alone 6990 which is gigantic).
They are optimized for gaming though so there's a lot that could be 'cut off' for mining purposes.

A low-mid end card like GTX550 is still heaps faster than a huge old GTX8800, point in case. The only thing that matters for mining is the performance of the chip itself

Quote from: Jay01
You're telling me that x16 lanes will mine the same speed as x4 lanes?

Yes, you can even mine on a x1 lane using extenders. There is no performance hit.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
shivansps

Activity: 346

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:36:58 AM

I have a 6950 on a PCI slot using a pci->pci-e adapter working at full 400mhash/s.

Anyway, what i mean, while i think it its posible in theory, there no documentation about programing something using the Creative chips, thats why i think its not posible to do so.

1NEvmZTwLhqBgr3h7LwZap1sEHsyf3QFuv
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:37:18 AM

I was aware that you could mine on the different lanes, but from what I've read on the forums there was a loss in hashes when you reduce the amount of lanes.

Disregard what I said previously.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:38:44 AM

I have a 6950 on a PCI slot using a pci->pci-e adapter working at full 400mhash/s.
Where did you get the PCI->PCIe adapter?

Mousepotato
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:44:38 AM

Where did you get the PCI->PCIe adapter?

Cablesaurus.com probably.
They just added it to their catalog a few days ago.

Couldn't believe it myself either until I saw it.

That adapter will make a lot of old motherboards very useful. I didn't think it was even technically possible, but it appears to be.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
shivansps

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:54:26 AM

Dont do it.

Remember that VGA card still uses 75W from the PCI slot, dont attempt to overload an mb, i try to put 3 VGAs on a cheap and old ECS P4M900T-M2, and it was working, but after a few minutes i smalled smoke and them i sought flames coming out from the midle of the mb PCB...

I turned it off inmediately, it its still working, i dont why.

Anyway, dont load more vgas on a mb that it could handle, if it has 3 pci-e them its 3 vga max.

On older mbs(i have lots of Pentium MMX, K6 and P3 around) ive attepted but it just dont detect the card.

gigabytecoin

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:46:39 AM

Dont do it.

Remember that VGA card still uses 75W from the PCI slot, dont attempt to overload an mb, i try to put 3 VGAs on a cheap and old ECS P4M900T-M2, and it was working, but after a few minutes i smalled smoke and them i sought flames coming out from the midle of the mb PCB...

I turned it off inmediately, it its still working, i dont why.

Anyway, dont load more vgas on a mb that it could handle, if it has 3 pci-e them its 3 vga max.

On older mbs(i have lots of Pentium MMX, K6 and P3 around) ive attepted but it just dont detect the card.

You have motherboards with pcie 16x slots that don't detect the cards?
PcChip

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:09:23 AM

What made you think that PCI-E lanes affected the actual calculations that were performed onboard the GPU?

Also, it's not an outrageous claim; soundcards do DSP processing, technically it is possible (however extremely unlikely) to program them to do SHA-256 hashes. 

(Note that I'm not saying the claim the OP is referencing is true, or that the hashing speed would be high)

All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
fpgaminer

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 06:10:48 AM

Remember that VGA card still uses 75W from the PCI slot, dont attempt to overload an mb
I don't know about the PCI->PCIe extenders, but the same company sells PCIe x1->PCIe x16 extenders with a Molex connector to provide the PCIe power, so it doesn't draw power directly from the MoBo. With that, and an appropriate PSU, you could easily load a bunch of cards on a motherboard that has many PCIe x1 slots.

shivansps

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:14:23 AM

Also, it's not an outrageous claim; soundcards do DSP processing, technically it is possible (however extremely unlikely) to program them to do SHA-256 hashes. 

(Note that I'm not saying the claim the OP is referencing is true, or that the hashing speed would be high)

What whould take for someone to try it out? as far i known the main problem is that Creative chips uses a very very privative "api" to do stuff on them, and there is 0 documentation about.

if a EMU10K1 can give 10mhash/s it will be nearly power efficient as a FPGA, at much lower cost.

If its possible i think it worth the try.

m4rkiz

Activity: 170

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:55:12 PM

Do the math, if a x16 lane gpu generates 300 mh/s ( based off an average mining gpu), a sound card whether on-board or plugging into a pci, pci-e x1 lane, or even pci-e x4 lane is not going to do f*ck all

numbers of pci lanes has nothing to do with mining

i have 5970 on pciex1 and it hashes with exactly same speed when connected into x16 slot
walidzohair

Activity: 185

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:43:51 PM

Any miners ?  any how-to ? what is the bottom line for this ? BS or OMB ? Smiley
bcpokey

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:26:09 PM

Why is this bullshit thread still going? Every other post in this seems to be full of nonsense. Let it fade into the night.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i                :Ƀ

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:54:20 PM

Even if the op was bogus, the basic concept behind the idea is still worth discussing

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
shivansps

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:06:53 AM

Searching over internet it seens that several people have already had the idea of using KxDSP to process data.

So far what ive heard it its posible, but i yet to find someone that was able to do so.

Since those sound cards are cheap (Audigy SE) and use little power, i think it worth the try. Maybe it needs a new thread.

AlexWaters

Activity: 72

Coin.co | Twitter:@watersNYC

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:08:22 AM

True story

Yeti

Activity: 112

Firstbits: 1yetiax

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:46:26 AM

Yeah, I got 100 Mh/s the other day out of an old 386 coprocessor! CPU mining might be dead, but at a lower Hash/$ ratio, Co-Processor mining is just starting a revolution!!!!

Vaporware!

1YetiaXeuRzX9QJoQNUW84oX2EiXnHgp3 or http://payb.tc/yeti

Since Bitcoin Randomizer is dead, join the Bitcoin Pyramid (referrer id #203)! Be quick, be on top! Instant payout as soon as one of your referrals deposits!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.