Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:02:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Competitive analysis of Bitcoin vs Square, SumUp, iZettle, Payleven  (Read 12421 times)
DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 11:37:06 AM

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the reason was because most of the patents for the chip are owned by european companies (Gemalto aka Gemplus). For example, smartcards with chips in them were being used for phone booths when I visited France in the 1989.
It may be true but those smart cards were already licensed around the world, and the US also uses smartcards in many places (GSM network SIM cards, DirecTV cards, etc). I don't think smart card patents explains it.
Mobile operators in the USA vigorously resisted GSM adoption until many years after it had become a global standard. They continued with their own mobile standards like IS-136 until the late 2000s.

Similarly the US government resisted the use of the european smartcard chips in passports, and insisted on contactless RFID instead, for which they controlled the patents.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 03:14:53 PM

Mike,

Square got in trouble early on because their magnetic stripe readers had NO ENCRYPTION between the reader and the phone.  Since magnetic stripes have extra security features, this little dongle quickly became a thief's best friend to creating cloned cards.

The readers are now encrypted.

At CES back in January I would say about half of our visitors had come to our booth after they had visited Square.  Our ability to do international payments and ecommerce payments are a big plus. The dongle is meant for small, retail businesses.  For card-not-present transactions, Square charges 3.5% plus 15 cents.

The killer app for bitcoin is definitely in the internet payment space.  All these guys will trip over each other fighting for the little retailer.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:58:00 PM

Thanks for the info BitPay and DublinBrian.

Do you know anything more about this Square encryption? Magstripes aren't exactly hard to duplicate, I don't see why encryption between the dongle and the phone would make any difference at all to how easy cloning is. That sounds like security theater to me.

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:11:24 PM

Huh, does anyone know why Barclays processes payments for this service only during Kenyan working hours? That seems bizarre even by the low standards of the banking industry. Why Kenya, of all places?

Most likely that's boilerplate text supplied by Barclays' legal department, which at some past date was borrowed and customized for use by their Kenyan subsidiary, and then never proofread or search-replaced by the developers who subsequently reused it for the UK site.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: