Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:46:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduced bitcoin to a developer.  (Read 2269 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 12:03:17 AM

Just cut to the heart of it -- the language he develops in has no doubt been used to construct malware and virus programs, why does he continue to use it? Hasn't it "failed"? Of course not, but perhaps he may see more clearly with such an example.

If not, he'll come around eventually when most of the tech jobs switch over to bitcoin Smiley

Haha, great way of running it. Yes, I gave him some examples, not exactly that one, but along those lines yes. Like someone else said in this thread, devs. can be a bit binary, so it's either on or off. Smiley I just wanted to run the idea of bitcoin past him (I normally don't run it past most normal people), but I figured since he was a dev, he'd 'get it'.

I'll see how it develops.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 02:34:36 AM

I am a programmer and I am a "dreamer". So that is a very false statement and kinda insulting.

+1  Grin
A tissue for both of you for hurting your feelings. I guess you agree about not being able to tie your own shoelaces.  Wink

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:22:32 AM

I am a programmer and I am a "dreamer". So that is a very false statement and kinda insulting.

+1  Grin
A tissue for both of you for hurting your feelings. I guess you agree about not being able to tie your own shoelaces.  Wink

No feeling hurts here, just that it sounds like we are working monkeys, with no ideas.
goodbc

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:48:01 AM

How many have talked down Linux in the past? And now, how many Linux running machines are out there?
The day will come when bitcoin icon will be installed by default on any Android phone.

Check your IQ! Send any amount to this address:
1GoodBTCiGyd1J1LkDhCThfTHG8n9WJnNn
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 05:13:25 AM

Most programmers I know can't tie their own shoelaces. They think linearly. Don't expect them to see a hypertoroid.
Could not this be applied to most people ?
Exactly. Programmers are just technicians. They are not dreamers. Dreamers are the people that shed their blood for the betterment of humanity.

I think Satoshi would disagree with you.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 05:42:04 AM

Most programmers I know can't tie their own shoelaces. They think linearly. Don't expect them to see a hypertoroid.
Could not this be applied to most people ?
Exactly. Programmers are just technicians. They are not dreamers. Dreamers are the people that shed their blood for the betterment of humanity.

I think Satoshi would disagree with you.
Satoshi is/was a cypherpunk. One does not simply call cypherpunks programmers.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 06:03:03 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2012, 06:14:38 AM by jgarzik

Just point to the vast majority of theft, crime, drug dealing and website hacks that occurs in US Dollars, Euros, etc.

But in general, slamming someone for being invested in the status quo is not the way to win converts.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 08:08:52 AM

+1  Grin

No feeling hurts here, just that it sounds like we are working monkeys, with no ideas.

If programmers were all uncreative then how did Notch come up with Minecraft?
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 11:59:43 AM

+1  Grin

If programmers were dumbs without a life, you wouldn't post this.
There are more loc(lines of code) than you think to make this whole WWW to work.
There are a lot of dreamers programmers, those are the indie developers.  Wink

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 01:08:12 PM

+1  Grin

If programmers were dumbs without a life, you wouldn't post this.
There are more loc(lines of code) than you think to make this whole WWW to work.
There are a lot of dreamers programmers, those are the indie developers.  Wink
I am not saying that programmers cannot be dreamers, but they are rare. I associate with several programmers. They have no interest or understanding in Bitcoin. I know even more electrical engineers whom have even less interest in Bitcoin, though that's another discussion. As far as Dreamers go, they are not driven by the profitability of creating a new videogame. That is the opposite of a Dreamer. Most cypherpunks are probably dreamers. Dreamers are people that express themselves fearlessly against the status quo when things go astray. I think this is why some Hollywood dreamers are attracted to Bitcoin. Some programmers are driven to create open source projects to fulfill great needs. They are Dreamers. I have personally met only a few open source programmers. Poets are mostly dreamers. Some fiction writers are too. In the credits to a book I wrote "Thanks to the philosophers, artists, scientists, friends and lovers that took the time to make life better and special thanks to the dreamers that gave up everything to show them how." Dreamers are much more than people with good ideas. They are willing to stick their neck out when they have something to lose.

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 01:54:59 PM

I must admit that the guy that starts his job life as programmer, and end his life as programmer, 99% sure he isn't a dreamer. There are a lot of greater concepts to be done instead of simply writing code on a computer.
And programmers that think that will make an awesome videogame are dumbasses, for me they aren't programmers, programmers must at least think, not only dream a stupid think, those childs think that making a 3D character move is fun and easy, but they don't even know how to make a fucking pyramid in a modeler software.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 01:58:37 PM

I am not saying that programmers cannot be dreamers, but they are rare. I associate with several programmers. They have no interest or understanding in Bitcoin.

Cause several represents everyone. Don't generalize this just bad.

Also you talk about dreamers and how they go against the "status quo" and stuff like that. First off stop watching Apple's ad  it like in your mind. Second dreamers are people with ideas, they follow thru, they don't let one road block stop them. Dreamers are people just like you and me that want society to be what they envision.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 02:22:49 PM

I am not saying that programmers cannot be dreamers, but they are rare. I associate with several programmers. They have no interest or understanding in Bitcoin.

Cause several represents everyone. Don't generalize this just bad.

Also you talk about dreamers and how they go against the "status quo" and stuff like that. First off stop watching Apple's ad  it like in your mind. Second dreamers are people with ideas, they follow thru, they don't let one road block stop them. Dreamers are people just like you and me that want society to be what they envision.
Meh. That's a weak definition of a dreamer. People like Tolkein, Disney, many Hollywood production staff, Tesla, Hemmingway, Frost, etc. Satoshi and some of his followers qualify. I am not a dreamer anymore, because sometimes it takes too big a toll to survive. It's not the roadblocks. They tend to have a high mortality rate. I support the dreamers. I do not and never have owned or supported Apple.

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 03:59:48 PM

I believe that this image explains a little what he thinks about the dreamers: only the best and the most brave are the dreamers.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 04:33:55 PM

I've learned to always steer the discussions not towards bringing down the status quo (most people don't want that), but instead towards the technological revolution that Bitcoin represents, with these two points:

- For the first time ever, you can send money to ANYONE ANYWHERE in the world INSTANTLY and for FREE.
- For the first time ever, you can use a digital cash equivalent.  Previously, every transaction had to go through a bank or other central entity, but now, you can send money digitally without a bank or any other entity having to clear or deal with your transaction, or take transaction fees from it.

Those are both points that most people can relate to.  Those showcase why Bitcoin is so much better than the current systems.  Stay out of the anti-government, anarchist viewpoints, because most people (myself included, I'll admit) don't want that to happen.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 05:21:41 PM

I've learned to always steer the discussions not towards bringing down the status quo (most people don't want that), but instead towards the technological revolution that Bitcoin represents, with these two points:

- For the first time ever, you can send money to ANYONE ANYWHERE in the world INSTANTLY and for FREE.
- For the first time ever, you can use a digital cash equivalent.  Previously, every transaction had to go through a bank or other central entity, but now, you can send money digitally without a bank or any other entity having to clear or deal with your transaction, or take transaction fees from it.

Those are both points that most people can relate to.  Those showcase why Bitcoin is so much better than the current systems.  Stay out of the anti-government, anarchist viewpoints, because most people (myself included, I'll admit) don't want that to happen.

Good points. I think I served him (the dev) those points as well, but our conversation turned more into him defending the status quo, and he used a lot of arguments that I don't think holds water, and sadly, when people use arguments like that, I'm starting to think there's no point of discussing with them.

Also, it was never my point to 'convert' him. I wanted to mention bitcoin, because as a fellow tech person, he might see the potential for it and drive to dive a little bit into it, without going to a complete fight and using lot's or arguments that's right out from negative articles from the mass media.

Anyway, Bitcoin will succeed or not succeed on it's own merits. Those who are now using the argument: "But it's not main stream", will start using Bitcon when it becomes mainstream, because then it's mainstream... doh..

I read somewhere a quote that most people will not believe something can happen until it has happened. That's human nature. Resistance to change is also human nature.

First, when I heard about bitcoin, I was also sceptical, but I used a week for research (reading whitepaper, downloading the source, gawking over it, trying out the client, visiting the forums, going onto irc and so on ) and I came to the realization that this can be something really great in the future, and that I want to be a part of it.

Sure, it's still small, but it has grown, and everything big started small at one point. Many people would laugh at someone starting in their garage and saying they want to change the world, but it has happened, and it will happen again.

We need the dreamers and the visionaries to propell the world forward, and to make a better world. If everyone just were concerned with the status quo, we would never have any progress.

I love people with an open mind. Of course it's important to be sceptical, and do research, but so many people are negative to bitcoin without actually understanding it. I look at that as lack of intelligence, or lazyness. At least, do an honest effort in understanding the technology, and what impact it can have on society, and then please give me your opinion.

This is technology, logics and facts, and of course there can be subjective opinions, but the nice thing about mathematics and science is that it's cold facts, there's no room for interpretation. The source is available for anyone to read and thinker with.

And as for coders, these come in many sizes and shapes. They're not all alike!
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 06:04:41 PM

Update: Got a e-mail from my friend today, and he said he purchased a 7970 card, and I'm not sure if he wants to mine or just game, as I know he's kind of a gamer, anyway, he even linked me to http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/02/bitcoin-reaches-an-all-time-trading-high-of-over-33/

I told him recently if he got some money to spare, investing in a couple of bitcoins may be a good idea. So we'll see.

Anyway, being a little bit persistent goes a long way. Also, I love that bitcoin is gaining a stronger foothold now, then it's easier to plot it than when it's truly obscure like in the beginning.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: