Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:30:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin reward halving will affect ALT coins how?  (Read 2299 times)
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:47:35 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2012, 05:37:27 PM by CoinHoarder

My opinion:

The BEST thing to EVER happen for ALT coins is... the Bitcoin reward halving.

1. The Bitcoin reward just got halved, making it unprofitable for most miners using GPUs.
2. Most former BTC GPU miners will be looking for a way to keep mining.
3. Most will find an ALT coin they like and start mining that.
4. This will introduce a lot more volume and users into the ALT coin economy.
5. More stores will start supporting ALT coins because there are more people that use them.
6. I expect one or two alt coins to really take off in 2013 with this extra boost, similar to Bitcoin, with many improvements across the table (miners/protocol/usability/exchange rate).
7. Expect the need for sub-forums in Alternate Cryptocurrency forum soon!

EDIT: Changed the name of thread Smiley
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Greedi

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

LitecoinTalk

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 05:38:41 PM

We already have LitecoinTalk Smiley

LitecoinTalk - Sign up today!
Try out LTC-Aarade!
Buy Shares!
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 05:59:09 PM

and ppcoinTalk Smiley http://ppcointalk.org

But if it was just the BTC reward halving that was happening, i think we would see a rise in the price of BTC as miners woud just sell their BTC for more in order to cover their electricity costs.... i think the introduction of ASICs is more of an important factor for the Alt coins possibly taking off.

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:14:59 PM

My opinion:

6. I expect one or two alt coins to really take off in 2013 with this extra boost, similar to Bitcoin, with many improvements across the table (miners/protocol/usability/exchange rate).

I vote Terracoins Smiley 

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:25:20 PM

Yes, I go to both ppctalk and litecointalk almost daily, but you have to admit there is much more traffic and people to debate/whatever with over here.

Also, btctalk is a good avenue to increase adoption of alternate crypto currencies like ppc and ltc. Bitcoin users are exponentially more likely to try out an ALT coin than someone that's never heard of crypto currencies.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 06:28:08 PM

My opinion:

I vote Terracoins Smiley 

I'd like to see Terracoin take off to as i have a nice little hoard of them, or PPC for that matter.... but TRC is such an early stage and difficulty is very low relatively that it is VERY vulnerable to 51% attack, so TRC network could do with a few big miners to take a chance on the coin and see what happens... i saw the difficulty drop to 700ish this week to.... and been up at 9000 at one point ... so lot of variation there to.... PPC has seen a few difficulty bubbles but a general slow and steady rise has seen PPC along with its proof of stake element really take off and give the currency credibility as it is different from BTC... TRC is VERY similar to BTC, and although it offers nothing really new... would be easier to get joe public interested in this coin if they have BTC already....

but why u think TRC will be the one? ... or u just WANT TRC to be the one?? Tongue

FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 06:30:50 PM

Yes, I go to both ppctalk and litecointalk almost daily, but you have to admit there is much more traffic and people to debate/whatever with over here.

Also, btctalk is a good avenue to increase adoption of alternate crypto currencies like ppc and ltc. Bitcoin users are exponentially more likely to try out an ALT coin than someone that's never heard of crypto currencies.

+1 for u for visiting the forums daily Smiley but yeah agreed there is sooooo much more traffic on here, and its here where the coins are discussed... hence my list of links back to forum topics on the sites page of PPCointalk where people have discussed thinks like proof of stake etc....

CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:34:50 PM

My opinion:

I vote Terracoins Smiley  

I'd prefer that the coin with the best and most active developers be the coin that most people back. I hope people do not vote with their wallet which coin will be the next big hit. An alt coin could be the best ALT coin idea in existence, but if it doesn't have the developers/community to support and upgrade it, it is destined to die like the many others that have come before it. In my opinion LTC or PPC, in that order, has the best development team and community.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 06:43:10 PM

My opinion:

I vote Terracoins Smiley  

I'd prefer that the coin with the best and most active developers be the coin that most people back. I hope people do not vote with their wallet which coin will be the next big hit. An alt coin could be the best ALT coin idea in existence, but if it doesn't have the developers/community to support and upgrade it, it is destined to die like the many others that have come before it. In my opinion LTC or PPC, in that order, has the best development team and community.
yeah i agree with u here completely, but i feel that there will be a LOT of voting with wallet balances... but i hopefully will be proved wrong... being a developer myself, i am looking at the alt-coins a ot and the clients and updates / new developments and its really quite shocking how bad a condition some of the altcoins are left in... LQC and I0C in particular... but hopefully i'll be able to get my head round some more of the code and at least bring these clients uptodate and better doccumented, but there is some way to go as i very busy and only sooo good at coding Sad

Nolo

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:44:18 PM

My opinion:

I vote Terracoins Smiley 

I'd like to see Terracoin take off to as i have a nice little hoard of them, or PPC for that matter.... but TRC is such an early stage and difficulty is very low relatively that it is VERY vulnerable to 51% attack, so TRC network could do with a few big miners to take a chance on the coin and see what happens... i saw the difficulty drop to 700ish this week to.... and been up at 9000 at one point ... so lot of variation there to.... PPC has seen a few difficulty bubbles but a general slow and steady rise has seen PPC along with its proof of stake element really take off and give the currency credibility as it is different from BTC... TRC is VERY similar to BTC, and although it offers nothing really new... would be easier to get joe public interested in this coin if they have BTC already....

but why u think TRC will be the one? ... or u just WANT TRC to be the one?? Tongue

Mostly it's wanting.  Grin   But in seriousness, TRC is so similar to BTC, with a few minor tweaks (which I consider improvements), most of the infrastructure that already exists for BTC could easily be adapted for that of TRC.  

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:52:50 PM

Mostly it's wanting.  Grin   But in seriousness, TRC is so similar to BTC, with a few minor tweaks (which I consider improvements), most of the infrastructure that already exists for BTC could easily be adapted for that of TRC.  

You do have a point, that is one good thing about Terracoins.

The only thing that scares me about them is at this point the network is somewhat slow. All it would take would be someone with a shiny new BFL SC Mini Rig to do a 51%. With scrypt, that is at least not possible (with ASICs or as easily... it would require a shit ton of gpus or a botnet).
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:57:26 PM

Devcoins and LTC are the two I would be leaning toward, LTC due to adoption already begun, and DVC due to the awesome projects they fund/back and the fact that there are plenty of developers supporting it and having the bitcoin "dust" eliminated is kinda nice too.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Nolo

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 07:45:15 PM

The only thing that scares me about them is at this point the network is somewhat slow. All it would take would be someone with a shiny new BFL SC Mini Rig to do a 51%. With scrypt, that is at least not possible (with ASICs or as easily... it would require a shit ton of gpus or a botnet).

I believe what is keeping the TRC network so low is the lack of a public exchange.  People primarily mine to make money.  If they can't easily exchange the coins they are mining, then why should they mine? 

So it's one of those which came first, the chicken or the egg type of arguments.  Exchanges don't typically like to add coins until their is a significant demand, and miners don't like to devote large amounts of hashing power to coins unless there is an exchange. 

FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 08:03:38 PM

I believe what is keeping the TRC network so low is the lack of a public exchange.  People primarily mine to make money.  If they can't easily exchange the coins they are mining, then why should they mine? 

So it's one of those which came first, the chicken or the egg type of arguments.  Exchanges don't typically like to add coins until their is a significant demand, and miners don't like to devote large amounts of hashing power to coins unless there is an exchange. 

you can exchange here TRC for PPC http://exchange.zapto.org/ccexchange/4-5

FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 08:11:32 PM

ok coinotron is seeing an extra 100GH on the site.. and bitcoin mining has dropped from 60Ghash to 9GH!! so yes people have already switched!! and PPC was at 13GHash on there 2 days ago.... big miners switching it would seem

Speed   Miners   Round   Exchange   Diff.   Int   AMD   Nv   Ati
BTC    9.5 GH   21   15 h    1.00000   3438909.0   ---   ---    1.00    1.00
PPC    137.1 GH   59   0:2 h    0.00028    18980.1   ---   ---    1.74    1.74
LTC    151.9 MH   170   0:28 h    0.00586    19.8   ---   ---    2.04    2.21
TRC    16.9 GH   27   0:1 h   ---    891.1   ---   ---   ---   ---
Total:    315.4 GH   284   

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 08:14:37 PM

Bitcoin is gold and Litecoin is its silver?

Bitcoin is the lion king, and Litecoin and Peepeecoin are the gazelles and zebras of the forest.  Ixcoin, i0coin, solidcoin, terracoin and such are the rabbits, mice and cockroaches of the cryptocurrency animal kingdom.  All of these subordinate creatures serve as pawns to serve the kingdom of the master Lion, such as to be the guinea pigs for debugging and observing the outcome of catastrophic failure scenarios like 51% attacks, flooding, transaction spam, etc.

If choice meat becomes out of reach, the suggestion of this thread is that it's time to downgrade the dinner.  Less predator, more prey.  Hakuna matata!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 10:45:05 PM

Bitcoin is gold and Litecoin is its silver?

Bitcoin is the lion king, and Litecoin and Peepeecoin are the gazelles and zebras of the forest.  Ixcoin, i0coin, solidcoin, terracoin and such are the rabbits, mice and cockroaches of the cryptocurrency animal kingdom.  All of these subordinate creatures serve as pawns to serve the kingdom of the master Lion, such as to be the guinea pigs for debugging and observing the outcome of catastrophic failure scenarios like 51% attacks, flooding, transaction spam, etc.

If choice meat becomes out of reach, the suggestion of this thread is that it's time to downgrade the dinner.  Less predator, more prey.  Hakuna matata!

Ever heard of lions feeling threatened by gazelles? I don't.... But I suppose you do otherwise why did you come up with this analogy?
Know of any predetor evolved before its prey? I don't either...

I'm disappointed in you. Or did we fall victim to Poe's Law?
Nolo

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 02:25:29 AM

Now TRC difficulty has hit 3589.4.  I knew that was going to happen when all you big BTC gpu hogs jumped on this little coin...   Shocked

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 05:05:46 AM

Now TRC difficulty has hit 3589.4.  I knew that was going to happen when all you big BTC gpu hogs jumped on this little coin...   Shocked

The Retarded Coin  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Nolo

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 05:18:29 AM

The Retarded Coin  Cheesy

lol oh you....  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: