Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:17:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitmessage - P2P Messaging system based partially on Bitcoin  (Read 89814 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:11:46 PM

Couple of pages ago (#102), I was asking for help with Debian Testing compilation, as Testing is provided with python2.7, but there is no PyQt4.QtCore for python2.7, only for python3.0, which is not supported by Bitmessage.

But on Ubuntu it's working fine, thanks Smiley I just compiled binary and installed it without problems.
I will have to look again on my Debian laptop Smiley

Unfortunately Debian, Fedoria, (and thus others like Mint Linux) cannot run it as easily because their copies of OpenSSL doesn't include Elliptic Curve cryptographic functions for patent reasons.

Umm, no.

Redhat derivative flavours lack the ECDSA module in OpenSSL ... that is Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, Yellow Dog, etc

Debian derivatives are OK ... that is Debian, Ubuntu(s), Mint, etc.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg  Smiley

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:16:22 PM

How scalable is BitMessage? Can it handle 1 billion messages per day?
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 08:28:54 AM

Bitmessage v0.3.0 is available. It is an important release with a new change relevant to everyone.
The most significant change is the move from version 2 to version 3 addresses.
With version 3 addresses, users may set the minimum-Proof-of-Work-difficulty that they require of others in order to receive a message. The network-minimum difficulty is 1 but you may, for example, demand that people who send you messages accomplish a proof of work with a difficulty of 1.5.
Before making new addresses, see the 'Demanded difficulty' tab in the settings menu.
The next new feature is encrypted broadcasts. Broadcasts sent from v3 addresses will now all be encrypted. Broadcasts sent from v2 addresses will remain in clear-text until 2013-05-28 at 10:00 UTC at which time all upgraded clients will automatically switch to using encrypted broadcasts for all addresses.
Note that broadcasts are only encrypted with the address of the person sending them.
Anyone who has the address may read the broadcast. Some people may try to decrypt all broadcasts with all addresses ever seen on the network; this is expected.
The purpose of this feature is to encrypt the data sufficiently well such that unencrypted data will not flow through your Internet connection that you are not actually interested in.
Going forward, all new addresses will be v3 addresses thus it would be wise to upgrade soon so that you may receive messages from new Bitmessage users. v2 and v3 addresses will remain mutually-compatible indefinitely.
The next new feature is Daemon mode which allows Bitmessage to run without a graphical user interface. https://bitmessage.org/wiki/Daemon
You may report issues to the Github issue tracker or by replying to this bitmessage. https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage/issues
Users who downloaded the source code with git may use 'git pull origin master' to upgrade.
All the best, Atheros
https://bitmessage.org/
https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage
http://www.reddit.com/r/bitmessage/comments/1ds16q/bitmessage_030_beta_is_out/

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 11:48:05 AM

Love this, ease of sms, power of pgp!
Even easier than email!

temnize

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:42:00 PM

good
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 03:28:46 PM

Bm me

3btc

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:56:04 AM

Uhm, some days ago I got my 1st broadcast regarding the latest version 0.3.0 - yay, broadcasting works (before that I never received such)!

Unfortunately, BM slows down my internet: It takes long for pages to load up (~20sec vs <1s). It affects every traffic that uses DNS (ping 8.8.8.8 is swift as ever) as far as I can oversee. Once I quit BitMessage it returns to normal. BM 0.3.0 differs obviously - I see in my process explorer that it tries many connections (over 10, sometimes I see ~20) at the same time...

Funny thing though is that it does not always slow down my net. *Confusing*

PS: I still have isssues with knownnodes.dat - unless I delete it manually it takes ages to connect. I guess in the near future I will rather batch deleting and BM together...

PPS: Huge thanks for this awesome program nonetheless! *bow*

Sell * Buy * Anything * Decentralized * Free

OpenBazaar.Org
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:57:09 PM

Do I have to be logged in 24-7 to not miss any bitmessages? (or at least once every day)
3btc

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:30:08 PM

Do I have to be logged in 24-7 to not miss any bitmessages? (or at least once every day)

Nope, I vaguely remember it's being kept by the peers for some days - otherwise it's being resent by your client...

PS: See
https://bitmessage.org/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_send_a_message_to_someone_that_is_offline

Sell * Buy * Anything * Decentralized * Free

OpenBazaar.Org
Atheros (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 01:25:13 AM

As long as it is on for a little while once every two days you will never miss messages. If you have it off longer than that the sender of the message will resend it the next time they are online.

BM slows down my internet: It takes long for pages to load up (~20sec vs <1s).

PS: I still have isssues with knownnodes.dat - unless I delete it manually it takes ages to connect. I guess in the near future I will rather batch deleting and BM together...

You are using Windows. Windows limits the number of outgoing connections which is causing your issue. The newest code, which you will be running on the next release, limits the number of outgoing connections for Windows users to solve the "connection slowness" issue you are feeling. Unfortunately the next version won't connect any faster but at least you won't notice it when it is running.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 01:29:27 PM

As long as it is on for a little while once every two days you will never miss messages. If you have it off longer than that the sender of the message will resend it the next time they are online.

BM slows down my internet: It takes long for pages to load up (~20sec vs <1s).

You are using Windows. Windows limits the number of outgoing connections which is causing your issue. The newest code, which you will be running on the next release, limits the number of outgoing connections for Windows users to solve the "connection slowness" issue you are feeling. Unfortunately the next version won't connect any faster but at least you won't notice it when it is running.

Interesting you need to leave it running... I supposed this is the same bad news just like when you realize bitcoins make you your own bank and now you have to protect your own assets...

Liberating and empowering, but as the same time risky and burdensome... not for everyone.

This sounds like it makes you your own e-mail server... liberating and empowering, but at the same time burdensome... not for everyone.

Still cool though!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 02:22:47 PM

Yeah I wish messages were in the blockchain so you can get them any time but then the blockchain can be terabytes.

Atheros (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 07:35:16 PM

Interesting you need to leave it running... I supposed this is the same bad news just like when you realize bitcoins make you your own bank and now you have to protect your own assets...

Liberating and empowering, but as the same time risky and burdensome... not for everyone.

This sounds like it makes you your own e-mail server... liberating and empowering, but at the same time burdensome... not for everyone.

Still cool though!

Unlike an email server you only need to connect once every two days to never miss any messages and also you obviously need-not worry about domain names or IP addresses.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 07:47:36 PM

Still cool though!

Unlike an email server you only need to connect once every two days to never miss any messages and also you obviously need-not worry about domain names or IP addresses.

Gotcha, I'll recognize that this system requires less work than "running an e-mail server" however, my point was more that I now have to do "something" rather than "nothing" which is what I do when I use an e-mail service.

Granted, the "something" may not be that much, and may be very much worth the advantages that come with it. 

I'm just pointing out both perspectives to make sure I understand the pros/cons of this vs e-mail.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:21:31 PM

Still cool though!

Probably just need to put it on the cron job list to run daily in the background to catch up and then otherwise when user logs in ... or something like that?

ahdinosaur

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 05:13:55 AM

Still cool though!

Gotcha, I'll recognize that this system requires less work than "running an e-mail server" however, my point was more that I now have to do "something" rather than "nothing" which is what I do when I use an e-mail service.

Granted, the "something" may not be that much, and may be very much worth the advantages that come with it. 

I'm just pointing out both perspectives to make sure I understand the pros/cons of this vs e-mail.

there's a difference between using an email service and running an email server. someone could very easily make a bitmessage service that also allows you to do "nothing" to receive messages, but using a 3rd-party to receive messages is the problem at hand.
coincepts

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 03:22:52 PM

Us Fedora/OpenSUSE users don't have a way to compile binaries for ourselves. It would be helpful if there were options for us.

Thanks!
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:42:21 AM

Us Fedora/OpenSUSE users don't have a way to compile binaries for ourselves. It would be helpful if there were options for us.

What in the world does this mean?

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 04:20:01 AM

Why heck can't you compile?

minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:15:08 AM

Is there a way to try this on OSX without compiling? Is there a downloadable .dmg file somewhere?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: