Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:51:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the pro's cons and difrances of bitcoinplus.com and the software client  (Read 1690 times)
kmsalex (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

Learn as you go...

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:26:52 AM

first i would like to make it well know that i have NO idea what i'm doing with bitcoin yet so please forgive any of my Nivea question's

So i hear about bitcoin yesterday on the linux action show. so i google it and the very first site i get to is http://www.bitcoinplus.com/
and i'm supped, "all i have to do is park my browser on this page and it will slowly make me money?" so as it generated and went on and read the wikipedia page and some blogs, and eventually got to the .org bitcoin site so i download the cliant and am at a total loss at first at how to even run it (apparently the linux version is just the windows version running though wine?) and now i cant even figure out how to use it.

so i guess my first question is, there any reason not to just let it "mine" though java on the web page (that's pool mining right?) or is there realse intensive to figure out how to run it on a software level.

P.S. i've managed about 20 "payouts" (.00208162 BTC) on my laptop working for for the better part of a day (surprisingly the temps seam stable) so i'm going to give it a good cool down period soon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:57:38 AM

OK OK. There are 3 categories of mining. Mining speed is measured in Megahashes/second (or kilo, obviously)

GPU Mining - Very fast, makes me around 700Mhash/s with two video cards. You need graphics cards (preferably AMD) to make this work. You also need to download a client.
CPU Mining - Mining using your computer and a mining client. This is not profitable, you are likely losing more in power cost than you put in.
Web Based Mining - A newish type of CPU mining which uses Java or Javascript. Really easy for newbies to use, but comparitively incredibly slow.

In short, mining is only profitable using graphics cards (not regular processors) and you've so far been using the slowest form of mining. Laptops do not have the GPUs available for such tasks, so unless your power bill is paid by someone else it is more profitable to turn the computer off unfortunately!

The Bitcoin client itself is what you need to use to get paid your reward from the site or mining pool you were using. It's fairly easy to use, but people on this forum will help you if you have more specific questions about how it works (though you are better off not asking in the mining forum, as that is purely for stuff about mining coins and not just usiong bitcoin Cheesy)
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:12:03 AM

Laptops do not have the GPUs available for such tasks, so unless your power bill is paid by someone else it is more profitable to turn the computer off unfortunately!
Not necessarily.  My 3-year-old business laptop has a CUDA-compatible NVIDIA card that could generate at 2 khash/s.  Granted that's not much better than the CPU mining on the thing, and of course at this point it's still unprofitable, but the point is that it's possible.  
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:17:47 AM

Right. You might be able to subvert this as an edge case, but whatever happens it's going to be wildly subject to the markets and current difficulty. If you think your hardware is particularly powerful, do your research: you might just be able to make a few cents before it 's no longer profitable.
kmsalex (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

Learn as you go...

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:32:42 AM

thanks for the quick response and very easy to understand breakdown of types of mining, my powerbill is payed by someone else (i'm only 16) but i don't want to just waste money. i do have a desktop but its nothing powerful, P4 1.6ghz with a 16 mb radion something... its for 2002 so you see where i'm going with this. i was interested in doing it on my ps3, but the site wont load on the native browser, and i have the latest firmware so no linux for me Sad i relay have gotten to dislike sony for so many different reasons..

is there like a pre-fab guide on using the client for noobs on the forums?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: